WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
WC! Guide
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia
oil wash studies

oilwash1 by jmax2013, on Flickr

I prepared a couple of canvii [ spelling ?? ] for acrylics but wound up ruining the dang
things. I had some house paint undercoat left and I put that on the ... well its Hessian
not canvas or Hessian canvas, not sure ... anyway it all cracked so decided to try a
couple of oil washes. They are a little too weak for me at this stage but anyway
no sense in throwing out the canvas when practise is afoot.

oil wash2 by jmax2013, on Flickr

Same deal ... some more Hessian ... same house paint cracking away. And its
acrylic no less.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: oil wash studies

Well it's nice to know that you ruin canvases on occasion John and it is not just us mere mortals doing it! When I was at TAFE we used to 'gesso' our canvases with ceiling white rather than using an actual undercoat and I never had any problem with cracking (10 years later the paintings are holding up well).
I can see a couple of nice landscapes emerging from these practice pieces.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM
WC! Guide
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

Indeed, it amazed me ... I didn't think house undercoat would ever crack. I'm making my
own oil paint ... using powdered pigment from Bunnings. The pigment is meant to be used
to colour cement but can't see why it wouldn't work. The washes have dried ok. For the
next few layers the paint will have to get progressively thicker.

I'm just using linseed oil mixed with the paint, seems to stick ok. I will have to mix up
another batch tomorrow. I also rather like Picasso's use of newspaper for the oil
palette ... nicely soaks up any excess oil. I won't tell what I use for a binder ... just
glue mixed in with the paint. No doubt I shall find out how silly all of this is using
cement powdered pigment and all. I wonder if its lightfast mind.

Tho I wouldn't try it without a muller and ground glass sheet to get the paint all buttery
and dryish ... surprising how little oil one needs to make a good paste.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
ScottCooper

Colour me confused, John - you're using both linseed oil and a binder to make your paint? Surely in oil paints the oil acts as both vehicle and binder.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I don't have the patience to make my own paints but then again, if I were a prolific artist like you John it would definitely make sense to give it a go. You'd think that pigment used to colour cement would be reasonably lightfast as more often than not the cement is outside exposed to all elements.