WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > NEW! Welcome Forum - New Users
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 AM

Hello, making my way into art.

I've worked at an arts and crafts store for years, and haven't actually practiced much art at all since I graduated high school.

Did better in the three-dimensional additive styles of arts in school, owing to the fact that I have hands that are steady but generally uncooperative.

My style is generally contemporary, tending toward industrial--unsurprising, since I spend much more time in the garage as machinist. It's just that my time on the lathe and mill center on function with a lack of excess, and there's not much expression to be had with aluminum and compressed air.

My machining experience is mostly pneumatic and centered around hobbies such as paintball, from basic custom parts to an entire marker ('gun') you could fit in the palm of your hand, to many many parts of my college's electric race cart.

My art (mostly way back when) employed bolts and scrap metal and, now that I'm trying painting, airbrushed (I used it for protective paints on machines) stencils--I rely more on the hardware side of things, lacking talent of my own.

Last edited by Deus Machine : 05-01-2012 at 02:55 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States
Re: Hello, making my way into art.

Greetings!
There are many diverse Forums to be explored so be sure to take some time and have a thorough look around the site. Wherever you roam, remember you are always welcome to return here should you have any questions about the site features.
Please note:
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels Menu at the upper left.
* Moderators and Guides have links in their Signature lines to address FAQ’s
* There are “Stickys” at the top of Forum pages that are full of helpful information
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

That sounds really interesting. I'd love to see what you do.
Welcome to Wetcanvas!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 AM

Well, for the school stuff...
This is me (I didn't even know about this picture!) racing the old car. It's a loaner, designed as proof that a car can be made with no welds. The only design our team did was the front forks.

I blew the motor halfway through that race.

And this is the new, non-loaner car. That is not me driving, but the design of this car is about 75% mine. The front wheels are supposed to have a camber to them, but the current build leader doesn't understand the importance of adjustable camber--or any at all, really--on the steering system.

My largest contributions were in making the car shorter (around 6'2", opposed to the loaner's 9'7"), with a wheelbase just as wide and literally almost half as long. The new design is less than a third the weight, not counting the batteries and driver.
A single person can maneuver this in and out of the elevator to out build room, including propping it up.

I don't often have pictures of my machining work, because it's usually replacements for broken parts or improvements.

Such as this. On the left is the pressure regulator from a paintball marker called an Automag. It's almost solid stainless steel, and weighs maybe three-quarters of a pound on its own. On the right is the replacement cap of my own design, made of aluminum. The postal scale says it weighs 1.2 ounces, and that's including a padded envelope.
You still need a regulator, but most players add one in place of a foregrip anyway. The stock one is an excellent regulator but is redundant at that point.
So, using one of my caps saves half a pound of weight and 1.25 inches of length--important for the 'front' players, who need to move quick and often prefer the smallest markers possible.

Alright, soapbox time is finished!

Last edited by Deus Machine : 05-02-2012 at 12:14 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Northumberland England.

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello , and a warm welcome to Wet Canvas, hope you enjoy your time here ,
Best wishes, Ken
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Oh wow, those are awesome! There's a thread here in the photography forum called "Motor Madness", you should show them your photos, they would really like them.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM
A WC! Legend
A Californian! Coming Home Soon!

Hails from United States

Welcome. Thanks for introducing yourself. Best Wishes in your creative endeavors.

Gladys Marie "I'm somewhere...in the future...and I look much better than I look right now!" ...KIM CLEMENT
Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Wonderful!!! ...MAE WEST
*WETCANVAS MEMBER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD*