WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Langley, BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Galkyd Lite

Galkyd is great stuff; If you require a quick dry so subsequent layers can be added later it's super effective. There are many ways to use it and it's a popular product used by many professional artists. It's a tool in the tool box, use it when the work calls for it.

Sounds like your Galkyd is 'off' it should be like honey...

I don't understand the elitist attitude towards Galkyd? Weird???
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Gel like is sort a hazy term, how gelled is it?
one property that most alkyds exhibit is a desirable one called thixotropy.
that means that they will be more viscous when left undisturbed but when shaken or stirred, they suddenly become much more fluid. thixotropy can facilitate application and then tend to retain brushstrokes as desired.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Galkyd light should be almost water thin and is good for thinning and detail work. I use the Galkyd products and think they are excellant quality. I do, however, paint using alkyd paints and no longer mix alkyd mediums with regular oil paints.

Before I changed to alkyd paints (CAS Alkyd Pro and a few DaVinci alkyds) I used regular oil paints and used the galkyd medium to increase drying time. I liked the effects of using the alkyd mediums with the regular oils, but, I felt that mixing the alkyd mediums with regular oils was possibly going to cause problems in time with the integrity of the paint layers. Therefore, once I learned that professional quality straight alkyd resin paint was available, I switched to alkyds so I would no longer be mixing alkyd mediums with regular oils.

You don't want to paint with alkyd mediums over the top of uncured (as in fully cured) regular oil paints as this could cause adhesion problems with the paint layers...alkyd mediums will not only dry to the touch much faster than regular oils, but, they will also cure much faster, too...aprox. 30 days to cure for alkyds to aprox. 6months for oils. This differance in cure times, imo, could be a possible problem later in the life of your painting.

HTH!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryOriginals
You don't want to paint with alkyd mediums over the top of uncured (as in fully cured) regular oil paints as this could cause adhesion problems with the paint layers...alkyd mediums will not only dry to the touch much faster than regular oils, but, they will also cure much faster, too...aprox. 30 days to cure for alkyds to aprox. 6months for oils. This differance in cure times, imo, could be a possible problem later in the life of your painting.

HTH!
yes this is true whether using alkyds or non-alkyd paint films that are faster drying. It is a myth to think that it universally takes all oil paint exactly six months to dry and cure, some paint film are still curing for a far longer time frame than that, some shorter. It depends on a variety of factors, thickness, type of binding oil, pigment types with natural siccatives, etc.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 05-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick45
Wow Sandra, that example you posted is fantastic. Is that the whole thing or is it a close up of a flower? I know this is off the subject but I couldn't help mentioning it.

Thankyou Patrick , very nice of you , I did post this in here so Just for you ..LRose~@>----
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaella
I just bought Gamblin's Galkyd Lite, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use it. The consistency is gell-like, and I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I’ve used all of the “major” alkyd mediums, including Galkyd Lite. Regular Galkyd is too glossy and viscous for my needs, even when I mix it with OMS. Galkyd Lite is an improvement, but I prefer Liquin Fine Detail as an overall alkyd medium, perhaps using Liquin Light Gel for glazing. After many years of testing, or using, alkyd mediums, I now use OMS exclusively – I just don’t like getting discordant glossy passages on a painting, which may have to be “evened-out” by varnishing. I should point out that I hate waiting for paint to dry, but the density, opacity, and blending capabilities of oil painting are well worth exploring. I gave Galkyd Lite a “go,” but it wasn’t for me...

Galkyd Lite is meant to be a painting medium, along the lines of stand oil medium, according to the Gamblin site. Having used stand oil/turp, I see similarities, but it makes the paint dry FAST. Not to go off on a rant, but one of the reasons why I haven’t posted here for a while is the “oil paint snobbishness” I have encountered from artists who ignore anything that has come along in the 20th century (and beyond), preferring to stay in the 19th century in terms of materials. I’ve heard alkyd mediums dismissed as “plastic” by some, which is disheartening. To me, it’s fun living in a period when artist’s materials are being expanded and improved on a daily basis...

Love, Jane Stuart
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Hi Jane, and welcome to posting here, yes there is a lot of drama here at times, just how some people roll you know. But the good in all comes out sooner or later, it is just like you say about living in the past, that is where we were before WC, I remember sitting in my lonely room and painting away with no one to laugh with and that kinda sucks more than the occasional drama, so stick around for awhile, chat in the rag and you will meet some grand ol dames too! (one is from kansas too)
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Yes, Jane, welcome..and do come chat in the oily rag...I guess i am the grand ol dame from kansas.

Sid, have been missing you in the oily rag the past few days too.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 05-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.