WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: The Lizard King

All that fine detail is absolutely stunning. And for what it's worth, the leaf you are unhappy about looks just fine from my angle! Beautifully done!

Kate
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Immortalized

Thank you so much Kate, spent another hour and a half on that this morning although I can't even tell between the pics!

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

So just sign it already!!! I want to see what else you can do!! How about an orange and black Gila Monster???
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

At the risk of repeating myself, this is an oustanding piece of work !!!!
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSieloff
So just sign it already!!! I want to see what else you can do!! How about an orange and black Gila Monster???

Gila monster huh? Have to look into that. I didn't really leave a place to sign it plus my signature is very boring and not 'artsy'

Thanks for all of your help Marie of UK

#111   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Karen, I'm laughing. Your sig not 'artsy'. Too funny!!

I have ref photos of Gila Monsters...although not close up like you have done. I know if I could get them you would do a fantastic job though. They are really beautiful creatures. I want to try one myself, but I don't have the courage. After watching your WIP and how you detailed the techniques you did, I'm not as afraid. Have I told you I absolutely love this??? HA!!

Kate
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Hails from Canada

Haven't had a chance to look in on this for a bit, but oh my gosh! He is gorgeous! I love lizards, and you've certainly done this one justice.

I love a lot of detail in a painting, but to me the real success happens when you have all that detail, but if you stand back far enough so you can't see any of it, the painting still works. In other words, you could look at it with a magnifying glass or from across the room, and it would look good either way. I find it really hard to accomplish that, but you certainly have nailed it with this one.

Absolutely love it.
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

As everyone said: great, incredible detail and yes, this is the lizard king without doubt!
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Immortalized

Quote:
Karen, I'm laughing. Your sig not 'artsy'. Too funny!!

I have ref photos of Gila Monsters...although not close up like you have done. I know if I could get them you would do a fantastic job though. They are really beautiful creatures. I want to try one myself, but I don't have the courage. After watching your WIP and how you detailed the techniques you did, I'm not as afraid. Have I told you I absolutely love this??? HA!!

Kate

Send it to me Kate and I'll take a look, although I just found two baby iguanas that sparkle like jade, but maybe for a switch
sharp_karen_kay@hotmail.com

#115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Immortalized

Simone and Angela.. thank you Soooo much!

#116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenESP
Send it to me Kate and I'll take a look, although I just found two baby iguanas that sparkle like jade, but maybe for a switch
sharp_karen_kay@hotmail.com

I sent you an e-mail. But I'll also get my photos from home and upload them. If you see one you would like to try, I'll e-mail you a hi res photo.

Kate
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Desert Southwest

Hails from United States

Stunning...

(I will leave my smart remarks over on the AW section... )

http://pat-erickson.artistwebsites.com/
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Immortalized

I'll keep my eye out for it Simone!

Thanks Everpat!

#119   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Immortalized

Quote:
So just sign it already!!!

So, back to this signature business... I thought maybe I could go and have a stamp made with a cool artsy type signature, and then when I'm done, just stamp it in the acrylic paint color of my choice and then just stamp the painting.. wella - problem solved.

But years ago, I had this college job, an on going long running club promotion for a bar called the Safari Club.. where I dressed up as Jane every weekend. THEN I thought... once I got to painting tigers, cheetahs and crocodiles... wouldn't it be COOL to sign my name Safari Jane. Like instead of a penn name for a writer, Mark Twain, I could have a penn name for me for my paintings. Isn't it MUCH more exciting to have a jungle animal painting signed by Safari Jane rather than just Karen Sharp ? Of course I would also have a stamp made so that I wouldn't have to paint all that out because Safari Jane involves many more letters than how I usually sign my name - only five letters, SHARP. I'm still thinking that would be the coolest thing ... a penn name or is it pen name? What do you think about that?

#120   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenESP
So, back to this signature business... I thought maybe I could go and have a stamp made with a cool artsy type signature, and then when I'm done, just stamp it in the acrylic paint color of my choice and then just stamp the painting.. wella - problem solved.

But years ago, I had this college job, an on going long running club promotion for a bar called the Safari Club.. where I dressed up as Jane every weekend. THEN I thought... once I got to painting tigers, cheetahs and crocodiles... wouldn't it be COOL to sign my name Safari Jane. Like instead of a penn name for a writer, Mark Twain, I could have a penn name for me for my paintings. Isn't it MUCH more exciting to have a jungle animal painting signed by Safari Jane rather than just Karen Sharp ? Of course I would also have a stamp made so that I wouldn't have to paint all that out because Safari Jane involves many more letters than how I usually sign my name - only five letters, SHARP. I'm still thinking that would be the coolest thing ... a penn name or is it pen name? What do you think about that?

Firstly, I swear that Lizard King Blinked!!! I think you did an awesome job -I am looking forward to seeing what you get up to next .

I really like the sound of 'Safari Jane' -mysterious and as you say quite fitting!

hugs back at ya!

Ali