WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > The WC Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#511   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: All Media On-Going Sketching Thread Part 12

Matt, cool tree. Thanks for doing a WIP.
It's a coincidence because I am doing a more traditional tree at the same time. Pen and wash. Will post it tomorrow.
Earl, Jon and Sandra, cool doodles!!!
Sandra, I like the oil platform as well. Your portraits are getting better and better.
"May I impress upon every reader that illustration is life as you perceive and interpret it. That is you heritage as and artist and it is the quality which will be sought for in your work. Try never to lose it or subordinate it to the personality of another."
-Andrew Loomis-
  #512   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Matt, the first draft is beautiful. It has the brokenness of an old tree. But the ending piece is no less. You have made a very good sky to complement it. Colored pencils all the way or you put some soft pastels in the background?
  #513   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Jake, thanks. I look forward to seeing your tree too.

Today, I was working on the Fantasy/Sci-Fi Monthly Challenge MAY-Female deitie, goddesses, mythological figures.

Stillman & Birn Alpha 5.5 x 8.5 inch hardbound sketchbook 100 lb

Before work, I slathered the page with Holbein Bronze gouache.

After work, I sketched a Guan Yin, the goddess who protects fishermen in Chinese mythology, with Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencil.

The darker background was brushed hard with a harder brush and I really liked the effect. The highlights was achieved with a Vanish eraser and it was just the right light lift of the Holbein gouache colors. The pix one was fine except these awful heavy lines beside the ear on the face when I scanned it and realized it's not working.

I tried to erase those pesky lines and then of course erased the gouache. Now I had to recoat the whole face again. This time, I tried to lift the gouache with a moist brush to test out effect.

Ack,....it looks so uneven!!

So went back in with more colored pencils. It's unsalvageable so to say.

This one taught me to stick with erasing gouache or watercolor with an eraser and use a light touch with colored pencil when putting layers on. I can't stand not being able to smooth out the face or control how much I could lift.

Last edited by gakinme : 05-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.
  #514   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 AM

Hi everyone, I am back after a long while!

You have been so industrious Sandra and you deserve a "Gold Medal" for being so.

Today I am sharing my sketch of a mountain. I am seeing improvement in my speed even though I am doing quite few drawings.

This mountain is "Mt. Dhaulagiri", one of the 10 highest mountains on the Earth.
  #515   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 AM

Matt, that piece which you were going to throw looks so cool to me! Is it me only or do others too find it as cool?

I have no words to describe it. But whatever! It just looks amazing. Good Job Matt!
  #516   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States

Prem, nice loose pencil sketch!
Sandra, I could always use some luck when I go fishing. Especially now when I am stuck so close to my truck when I do go.
Nice job.

This is my first tree. It's funny Matt did his WIP just as I was doing this one.
I actually got a request to do one in one color watercolor. I added some ink, though.

"May I impress upon every reader that illustration is life as you perceive and interpret it. That is you heritage as and artist and it is the quality which will be sought for in your work. Try never to lose it or subordinate it to the personality of another."
-Andrew Loomis-
  #517   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: All Media On-Going Sketching Thread Part 12

Here are just a few quick sketches from this morning. Just practicing different body types.

-Andrew Loomis-
  #518   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Prem, that's a good angular mountain full of character.

Jake, that tree has a very nice lower layer of branches that makes it unique. It'll be interesting to see what colors you apply to it. Hope you catch lots of fishes. They usually put a Guan Yin near the hill closest to the water.

Start of the weekend means the start of my testing.

Today I played with Aquabee Artist Marker paper that is super smooth. It's ideal for Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencil as in my little doodled creature. The girl has Holbein flesh color watercolor Jaune Brilliant. That's the color most manga artist use for their characters. I messed it up with some greens and reds from the lips but it's a very pleasant flesh color that Daniel Smith doesn't have. Her garment is Derwent Graphitint. Hair is Faber Castell.

Some Cretacolor Aquastic sketches here on Pentalic 70 lb sketchbook.

#519   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

haha...Jake, you're back to your old self. Good for you. Love your voluptuous ladies. I love the second one's pose but I got to say I like how voluminous the third one is. Nice and weighty.

I was researching on Venus and Mars last night for a couple of hours, which account for not having any drawings and now, I get to work. Will post when I have some results. Have to keep up with you!!
  #520   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States

Thanks, Sandra. I like all body types. The curvy ones are fun to draw as well.
Those sketches are great. I like the blouse on the one lady. Came out great.
Isn't it funny how many people pose with their hands above their heads?
The turtle like character with the big feet is funny and who doesn't like monkeys?
-Andrew Loomis-
  #521   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast
Guwahati, India

Hails from India
Thumbs up Re: All Media On-Going Sketching Thread Part 12

Awesome works...

Jake love your sketches...the ladies are fantastic.....
Prem...good work......
Sandra.....awesome sketches again......you are really a hard working person....

here is my new work....

Guwahati countryside 3
Camel Artist Watercolor on Canson Montval 300 gsm cold pressed paper
12inches X 16 inches

Tirtha Sankar Bharadwaj
India
  #522   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Tirtha, I love that rich glorious landscape! I can feel the heat and taste the moisture, hear the water lapping against the boat I'd be in to have exactly that view. It's incredible. It seems overwhelmingly green and as I look closer, it's not, the oranges and the soft lavenders and muted cool mixed colors all make the bright yellow and green accents leap out more. This painting is fantastic.

Sandra, gorgeous drawings and sketches and paintings. Guan Yin is beautiful, she's my favorite, though she seems a little androgynous with the mustache.

Jake, sensual and accurate figure drawings of so many female body types. Well done! Also a very cool tree. I like the way foliage clumps frame areas of branches and trunk, it's more open and natural than most trees.

Prem, that's a splendid rocky mountain! You give a great sense of its size and harshness.

A Page of Little Ari Drawings
Pitt Artist Pen (black brush tip) on Lanaquarelle 100% rag watercolor paper.
Every one of these is from life. Ari posed for me last night, always adorable.

Finished it! This is part of an art trade with Colorix along with several of my pastels. All I need to do now is choose the right size of box or envelope to pack all the art carefully and ship it out to her, then she'll ship me one of her glorious pastel paintings. I can't wait to see it in person!

It wasn't tough drawing Ari. It was tough doing that many little Ari drawings on the same page in permanent ink without hesitation, without corrections, without any of them getting botched so I'd need to restart the page. The farther along I got, the tougher it was adding more while keeping the balance of the page. I did it this morning. He was posing and looked cute, I had to draw him again and took the chance I could finish the Page of Little Ari without wrecking it. YAY!

My beloved model is sitting behind me on the top of the armchair. He just kicked me in the cheek with a big soft cat foot while he was washing himself. He had to brace his foot somewhere, why not my face? It's sweet - such a soft foot, not a trace of a claw, just a gentle pressure bracing himself so he doesn't fall over in his silly position washing. Love this cat so much.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 05-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
  #523   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Guwahati, India

Hails from India

Thank you so much Robert Sir........
magnificent Ari sketches......fantastic....

Tirtha Sankar Bharadwaj
India
  #524   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Tirtha, love the Guwahati Countryside 3. Nice contrast between the bright colors and dark shadows. Very well done.
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #525   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Guwahati, India

Hails from India
Thumbs up Re: All Media On-Going Sketching Thread Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandacres
Tirtha, love the Guwahati Countryside 3. Nice contrast between the bright colors and dark shadows. Very well done.

Thank you so much Rick

Tirtha Sankar Bharadwaj
India