WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States
After Bouguereau

This is after Bouguereau' " baigneuse" , digital in Gimp.
Having a hard time getting a good likeness, especially the eyes. Is there any tips for getting a better likeness?
I'm using a grid, or is it just practice, practice, practice?
Any comments and crits greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to say, the reason I'm doing these studies is to learn about color, especially skin-tones, so what I'm doing is using the color picker to pick colors off the original, then painting on the blank digi-canvas.I think it's working, I'm starting to see colors in everyday situations that I hadn't noticed before.
Attached Images

"Be sure to expose yourself to criticism:
A fine polish requires an abrasive."
-Marilyn vos Savant-

Last edited by KingCrimson : 05-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Re: After Bouguereau

This is very impressive John. I read Bouguereau used to make detailed drawings in the size of the final painting after quite some studies from live models, very detailed ones (some have survived I think, I saw them once on a website), and traced them to the canvas. But I also have seen a photo of him painting directly from a life model.
Her neck looks a bit muscular, but I cannot find the original painting right now, so I might just be babbling nonsense like I usually do.

What I read, I do not know if that applies to digital painting though, is to work from the large shapes to the small ones. After the large shapes are correct the likeness should already be there, and the details like the eyes will come out naturally when one moves from the large to the small shapes. Sargent said about eyes that they must come in like "breaking an egg into the pan" (not the exact quote, but he meaning) ... which I guess means that the large structures must be correct first.

I think it is all practice. But a grid of course helps and is a nice tool. You're not a beginner, so the following is not for you ... but if someone asked me for advice for his very first paintings I would probably tell to begin to draw a lot, if possible from life, if not from photo and mirror. But also to make a few paintings with grids or tracing. My very first one was traced and painted in layers and looked quite nice ... and I think it is important for someone who just starts out to get something nice at the start. That one nice painting might hook one for the rest of the life. If the first ones turn out bad, which is probable if someone has no experience at all, then he might lose interest before the journey even started. I have no idea if that advise is a good one, it just came to mind.

Good to hear that you start seeing colors around you different than before. I think that is a good sign. I guess that the training of painting happens not just at the easel, but every waking minute ... we begin to see different and instead of just being like "oh, that looks nice/ugly/funny/whatever" a painter begins to think "oh, why does this look nice/ugly/funny/whatever" ... sorry, my english might not be good enough to express what I want to say.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from England

love this john
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Wonderful , I think hes one of the most profound realists that ever painted on this earth ... very impressive John .. .. I do agree with you the eyes arent quite there yet , but your pushing the right buttons and that is a great thing in its self....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

dustonpaper, thanks for the thumbs up some great advice about working from large to small. I tend to forget that. What I've been doing is to place dots where the pupils go,and start working out from there. I should really start with the shadows around the eye sockets, and work my way in, like you say. I'm going to try that on my next one.
Btw, I'm really enjoying your work too, thanks for commenting!

Betty thank you, I'm happy you like this one!

Sandra, fancy meeting you here Yea, I've put down the oils for a while to do a little studying from the masters, without wasting all that paint, and I sure consider Bougie a master, I just love his skin-tones!Thanks for looking in

Also a correction, this isn't " Baigneuse", that's the one I'm working on now,I got confused, don't know the name of this one.

-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Sandra, fancy meeting you here Yea,

Hey there Fine Sir , Ive not see you on here for ages and yes Its very Lovely to catch up again!. ... you have always said such wonderful things to me about my art John, which I have always appreciated also ...yes the Baigneuse is one of the many nudes he painted... I think what your doing here is great to study from him , I need to do more down the track myelf ...his skintones ' I love looking at his work ~the Bomb! what can I say
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Ukraine

Hails from Ukraine

I like it)I like Bouguereau, too.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks again Sandra , Yes, I always enjoy your work, You keep getting better and better!

Thank you Lada, that's nice coming from someone who really knows their way with a digital brush!

-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Very impressive work! I've never tried to do art in the digital realm, some day will have to give it a try.
I've seen some of your other portraits, and was blown away....very nice work!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks much Klint! I never did any digital till I started doing these portraits, and I gotta' say it's a lot of fun.
I don't have much time or space at home,so at the moment it's just easier.
I love that flemish flower on your blog, nice work!

-Marilyn vos Savant-