WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 AM
central NY

Hails from United States
Re: spelling/grammar

I had a less than ideal day and just wanted to thank la for the irony of starting this whole thread off with "omg".
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Nordland

Hails from Sweden

I am always surprised at the mistakes I make in my writing, and I am a published author. I can spot a single mistake in the middle of a 1,000 page book, but miss my own errors regularly. That's why we have editors. The other annoying thing is that my spelling has gotten worse over time, perhaps as a result of an over-reliance on spell checkers.

That being said, I also get annoyed when I see language butchered beyond recognition with absolutely no self-criticism.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
South Bucks

Hails from United Kingdom

This is an interesting thread
I won’t get too involved, since I have to use another program (with a spell check) to compose my responses ... I don't get wavy red lines in my browser

Oh, should I not use those ellipses?

{add}Maybe because I started as a poor speller, spell checkers have helped improve my spelling{/add}

Last edited by Edradour : 04-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek42
I had a less than ideal day and just wanted to thank la for the irony of starting this whole thread off with "omg".

thanks for noticing, mek! that was tongue in cheek cheeky because we are in a pretty casual setting here.

it's a frustrating state of developing/evolving language that scares me, but i understand there's a place for casual communications.

i 'err' myself, admittedly - typing in all lower case, for example, is normal for me on this forum, being lazy, casual. in a formal setting i know where the shift button is and use it.

as a continuation of the OP (original post), this is the wife of the guy in the first quote ... better, but still irks me, makes me question both the school systems and the general priorities of youth.
To the dumb ass who thought it was a good idea to walk on the road... Drunk.. Wearing all black.... Your lucky I seen you! Should of got out and punched you for your stupidity!

perhaps because i was raised by an articulate mother, or perhaps because being able to speak/write intelligently was one of the few things i did well in school, it takes little to irk me and i've passed that onto my kids - both who now correct their peers regularly (even in texts) - to the point of being annoying sometimes, but that's a far better reputation for them to have than many other reputations out there, si

on an optimistic note, i've discovered a web site (imgur.com if you care) filled with geeks and freaks (pretty much totally youth filled) and there's a population of 'grammar police' there who spot and correct grammar issues constantly. it gives me hope.

and finally, on an odd note - i find it totally weird that 'facebook' and/or 'Facebook' gets a wiggly red line under it - On facebook! one would think they'd have built that word into their dictionary!

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 AM
South Bucks

la, your dictionary is - probably - built into your browser (do you use IE or Safari)
I can type nonsense (jhgasfdghadsf) without any error warnings either here or on F/facebook

btw Is "both who now correct their peers" OK in Canadian English? - it's a bit odd to me

Last edited by Edradour : 05-02-2012 at 04:51 AM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

ha, good catch and you're right

t'would be better said ...

'who now both correct their peers'
'who now correct their peers'
'who correct their peers'
'both of which now correct their peers' ?

i think all those options are correct, if not overly wordy or underly descriptive

safari on mac and pc, but do they not all have options to turn 'spellcheck' on or off? i don't know, but it could explain a lot = )

here's a who/whom question ... 'whom' messes with my head completely.

This is supposedly correct:
WHO = SHE/HE
WHOM = HIM/HER
eg.
Who did it? She did.
To whom was it done? Him.

Is this then correct?
She's the one who did it.
It was Him whom suffered? no, he who suffered
um, how do i qualify a use of him and whom ... ?
Who dressed up whom (she dressed up him), guess that works.

Who did it? They did.
To whom was it done? Them.
They are the ones who did it.
Them other folk whom they beat up ... ! is just wrong, again, qualifying it, how?
They beat up whomever they want? I think that's right, but 'they beat up whoever they want' is also correct, no?

i'll go google - 'using whom correctly'

lol

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek

Last edited by La_ : 05-03-2012 at 03:06 AM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
South Bucks

There are umpteen ways to say it la, with and without 'who'

(I'm not sure umpteen isn't a family word - meaning too many to count)

Quote:
Them other folk whom they beat up ... ! is just wrong, again, qualifying it, how?

Maybe ... Those other folk who they beat up
Or ... The other folk who they beat up

'Them', in this context, is, I believe, more normal usage on your side of the pond

Note to self: I wasn't going to be sucked into this thread

Last edited by Edradour : 05-03-2012 at 05:14 AM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Enthusiast
Vernon, BC

Hails from Canada

La, you really opened up a can-of-worms now, but you sure are having fun. Keep going, I love it.

http://brianstravels-brian.blogspot.com
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

He/she/who/they is for subjects. The person taking the action.
Him/her/whom/them is for objects. The object of the action being taken.

Now, you just have to know the difference.

He is doing it to him.
She is doing it to her.
Who is doing it to whom?
They are doing it to them.
Whoever is doing it to whomever.
Boy, wouldn't you like to know what they are doing?

My Website

Last edited by snoball : 05-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon

Hails from United States

So called correct or proper spelling is a fairly recent concept. Words often had multiple spellings especially prior to the printing press. Language is dynamic. Anyway, you might be interested in The Lexicographer’s Dilemma.

~

An artist must have imagination. An artist who does not use his imagination is a mechanic Robert Henri
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
He/she/who/they is for subjects. The person taking the action.
Him/her/whom/them is for objects. The object of the action being taken.

i object, your honor, on the grounds of being objectified !

Now, you just have to know the difference.

He is doing it to him.
She is doing it to her.
Who is doing it to whom?
They are doing it to them.
Whoever is doing it to whomever.
Boy, wouldn't you like to know what they are doing?

and with whom they're doing it please

la
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Lord of the Arts

Where did you get the mistaken idea, BlueRiderMan, that spelling words correctly is a recent concept when the example you give, the printing press, was first widely used in the late 1400's and all the modern automated presses were invented before 1900?

Language is dynamic over a long time. Bad spelling is immediate, and wrong. Carelessness is and always has been the result of laziness.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRiderMan
So called correct or proper spelling is a fairly recent concept. Words often had multiple spellings especially prior to the printing press.

Perhaps. Hey, steel is also a recent idea, but that doesn't mean steel tools are no better than stone ones. Standardized spelling is, in my opinion, a good thing: I find that my reading speed greatly drops if I have to struggle through a piece in which everything is spelled in weird, non-standard ways.

It is true that language evolves and that spelling will slowly change over time. If a new spelling becomes very popular, then perhaps it is okay to make it the new standard. Still, some of the stuff you see makes my hair stand on end. My latest pet peeve: people who confuse "have" and "of" in such sentences as "I would of loved to do it."

I can deal with text messages full of weird abbreviations (although I can seldom bring myself to write them that way). But nowadays, kids are taught text message language at school (as if cell phone-addicted teens need a frickin' teacher to teach them how to write things like "I 8 brkfst wth u & it was gr8!"). Result: this way of writing has now slipped into EVERYTHING they write. We are sure living in interesting times...
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

friend of mine, a second cousin actually, has self published her first (in a four part series) book. she's soooo excited! supposedly there are editors included in the deal, but alas, i fear she's been ripped off.

my daughter purchased a hard copy of the book so i'm going through it (rather than the on-line version sent to me), looking for errors (the cousin has asked me to edit her second book in the series so i'm looking to see what i'm up against).

sigh, it's bad, so, so bad. cousin is ticked, she says 'they printed the half edited version!', but there's errors throughout the book - 430 pages of something on almost every single page.

an example, mid way in the book:

"Where did you get it?" David asked in a more steady sounding voice.
"Family air loom." Carman answered.
"Your family is the original owners?" David asked. Carman smiled and nodded.

what, oh what, have i gotten myself into! helping save the world from excessively bad literature? no, really it's more about helping this young drop out find/refine her writing skills - tough slog i fear, her not understanding the basic differences between ... there, their, and they're ... where, wear and we're ... seen and have seen, saw, oh my oh my

to be fair, lol, i've read my local (weekly) rag (with a red pen) and found similar writing skills.

la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking55803
I am always surprised at the mistakes I make in my writing, and I am a published author. I can spot a single mistake in the middle of a 1,000 page book, but miss my own errors regularly. That's why we have editors. The other annoying thing is that my spelling has gotten worse over time, perhaps as a result of an over-reliance on spell checkers.

That being said, I also get annoyed when I see language butchered beyond recognition with absolutely no self-criticism.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast
Vernon, BC

Hails from Canada

La, think of this task as helping with your cousin's education. Obviously her school failed miserably. I think this exercise should leave you with the feeling that you have done something worth while for this person.

As for your local rag, our's is much the same. I gave up spotting the errors long ago. I guess proof readers cost too much.

I think my english teachers must be turning in their graves at what is being accepted by our present day society.

Ps. I always wonder just where in Alberta you reside. You don't have to tell me

http://brianstravels-brian.blogspot.com

Last edited by BrianWarner : 05-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.