WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland
If you use acryl and limited palette (12 or less colours) what you use?

If you use acryl and limited palette (12 or less colours) what you use? and i ask mainly landscape and flower paintters. i thinking quality paint is more important than colour range. and w&n artist acryl prices looks i cannot buy more than 12 colours. i know what manufacturer recommends but to me permant alizarin crimson is hue what i want replace permant rose based colour chart. i think its better for clear violets. some how i never liked much alizarin crimson i know replacents are little different but still little similar when we know permant rose is totally different colour.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: If you use acryl and limited palette (12 or less colours) what you use?

I consider 12 colors to be plenty...I can't imagine ever needing more. A few questions which will help you to make your choice: Do you want maximum chroma? Do you want some convenience mixtures to save time - such as green(s) or earth yellows or browns?

Some people prefer Alizarin Crimson (or a very similar but more lightfast substitute) as their violet-red. Others prefer Quinacridone Rose, Magenta, Violet (PV19 or PR122) - which are more purplish, more chromatic, and mix cleaner violets. It's mainly personal preference.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

i want single pigments. earths are only expection. and i want widest possbile colour range. and i know some kind colours are next to impossible mix at least in aquarelle.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada

Good that you prefer single pigments. And no reason not to choose single pigments for your earth colors too. Since you want maximum chroma and no more than 12 pigments, probably your best bet is to start with some form of the 'secondary palette' (I prefer to call it the 'primary + secondary' palette because that better describes what it is) :

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/palette4e.html

To allow maximum chroma, 3 of the colors are mandatory because no other lightfast colors give such high chroma in their general hue: Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue GS (or Phthalo Cyan), and Phthalo Green (YS or BS - choose whichever is a better complement to your red(s)). Your choice of yellow, orange-red (scarlet), and rose/magenta are more a personal choice and how they work with the other colors; complementary relationships are important for mixing blacks/near-blacks. Another hugely important consideration is if you prefer opaque or transparent for some colors.

After the 6 main colors, you can add any others to extend chroma if/where needed, as well as convenience. An earth or two that would be useful (maybe Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, or a transparent Quinacridone earth color). Some people like to have two yellows - one opaque and one transparent, maybe one lemony, the other a middle or orangy yellow. Dioxazine Purple if you absolutely need the brightest purples possible. Maybe Hookers Green or Sap Green as a go-to dull green to use in mixes and to make an excellent black with Dioxazine Purple if you have it. Maybe a good Alizarin Crimson Hue for skin tones when you want a purplish red that is not as strident and 'lipstick' as the Quinacridones. Black or Paynes Grey can be an awesome 'convenience' color for darkening and greying colors - and if used judiciously, it won't result in 'muddy' coloration. Just a few ideas to get the ball rolling in your color choices.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

actually i think i need both transparent and opaque for some colours this is one reason why my palette is maybe even 18-24 colours someday but to start i think its going be 8...(two reds,blues,and yellows and white and black).
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quinacridone red PR209 is very good to mix bright orange and violet color range. You can replace both Cad Red PR108 and Alizarin Hue PR177 with one PR209 color. I guess PR209 is one of the best rose color too. Do not need to have 2 reds.
http://www.dickblick.com/items/00690-3273/#colorswatch

Last edited by Gigalot : 05-01-2012 at 01:52 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Illinois

Hails from United States

For a minimum set of paints, you might want to take a look at Bill Martin's list (it's for oil paints, but could be used or adapted for acrylics) over here. He lists eight paints, including white. If you use Quinacridone Red (PR209) in place of the two reds he has listed, like Gigalot (above) suggests, you can reduce the list to seven colors. You could then add a couple of earth colors, and possibly black (if you want to have black on your palette). With the nine or ten colors you then have, any additional colors can be used to "round out your gamut."
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

Becouse i made fliowers (even more than landscapes)*idea of single red dont work i am sure. ps. pr209 i dont know if even found brands what i thinking use looks like is available but still.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Ok. You can use palette formula CMYK + RGB + White to decide yourself which paints will be your yellow, cyan, magenta and other. Highly effective 8 colours limited palette. In general G = green chromium oxide PG17, B = UMB, R = Cad red light or "Hue" Naphtol carbamide PR112.
Plus add any four earth colours you prefer to use (yellow ochre, burnt sienna, indian red or any other..)
Alex

Last edited by Gigalot : 05-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

bright botanical greens needss when asked form me PG7. can be nit natural if i dont mix with yellow and very small amount warm red (i used po20 in aquarelle) at least aquaelle works fine.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ
actually i think i need both transparent and opaque for some colours this is one reason why my palette is maybe even 18-24 colours someday but to start i think its going be 8...(two reds,blues,and yellows and white and black).

Oh, a man after my own heart. Do you have a watercolor background? I love playing opaque and transparent with acrylics. Since I'm a plein air painter, I do try to limit what goes out in the field with me, and it changes periodically. But in the past couple of years, I've made it a priority to carry at least a few transparents. My plein air set is currently:
  1. Transparent yellow (varies --- I'm playing with Nickel Azo, Quin Gold, Indian Yellow and trying to pick which one will live with me forever! LOL Suggestions welcomed!)
  2. PR206 (Golden Quinacridone Burnt Orange or Daniel Smith Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet. I don't know if any other companies are making this pigment for acrylic. This is an amazing, transparent warm red earth color, and I'm using it now in all mediums. The PR206 and transparent yellow give me Transparent Red Oxide, so I don't need that unless it's for convenience.)
  3. Hansa Yellow Opaque or Cadmium Yellow Light (cool opaque yellow)
  4. Diarylide Yellow (Warm opaque yellow)
  5. Pyrrole Red or Cadmium Red (Warm opaque red)
  6. PR 264 (Pyrrole Crimson) or Quinacridone Crimson (Cool transparent red)
  7. Cerulean Blue
  8. Ultramarine Blue
  9. Titanium White

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 06-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

Looks like i must reduce even more maybe solution is maybe 8 colours what i allready wrote... and i use mainly watercolour. and maybe use more cheap paints i dont yet know if my budget for hobbies drops but soon i know... or stop dreaming alos acryl paints. actually i must also test watersoluble oil colour which at least smells better than acryls. but brand range is bit limited for flower paintter.