WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#676   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Post Your Dailies here...120 Paintings

Barbara These turned out lovely.... great lead in lines... and 3D look...
  #677   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Nanci- Your sheep look great. You used very bold brush strokes that give character to the sheep. The texture adds to the interest. The flowers and vase are well done too. I like the arrangement of the daffs and the way the vase has the light bouncing off of it. Well done.

Meredith- I like the contemporary look. The painting has a very good sense of light and the flowers look great. Keep posting here. The more you post, the easier it becomes.

Carol-Lee- It's good for us to get out of our comfort zone. Or at least that's what I hear. You did a fine job with the gouache. The more you use it, the more familiar it will become. I usually paint in pastels, but I have been dabbling in gouache as well. I too am eagerly awaiting Larry's next course. Larry told me that his gouache is usually about as thick as cream when he is applying it. I know it depends on the look you are going for, because it can be thinned down to look like watercolor as well. Have fun experimenting with it.

Barbara- Good finish. Sometimes it frees us up when there is no reference for us to go by. I like the greens with the reds and violets. The background fades nicely to give the painting depth.

I am still waiting to hear back from F & W about the downloads. It would have been nice to have them over the weekend, because I wasn't able to do any painting and could have done some studying. Oh well. Hopefully they will get things worked out and I will get the downloads soon.

I got back to a fun subject for the latest painting. I love painting pears and they taste good too. This time I painted with gouache. It is painted on 5 x 7 cold press watercolor paper that was primed with Rich Beige Art Spectrum Colourfix Primer. The primer is usually used for pastels, but I thought I would give it a try with gouache and I am glad I did. The painting isn't the most exciting, but I was painting.

I thought I posted the second painting, but I just posted it to my blog and not here. It is painted on 5 x 7 Uart sanded paper. It was started with a pastel and alcohol under painting, laying the pastel down on the paper and then using a paint brush dipped in alcohol to liquefy the pastel. Soft pastel was then applied when the under painting was dry.

Thanks for looking.

Doug
  #678   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks Doug for your kind words... love the tree image.... really works..very interesting textures.... I often work in oil pastels and crayons and thought combining gouache with these might be interesting.
  #679   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougwas
I am still waiting to hear back from F & W about the downloads.

Doug

The word I got from Sarah, Doug...was that there was no problem with the advertised link leading to the purchase...but an issue with the download link on North Light's side. Apparently that has been fixed, and I understand you should try to download again(?)....

Sarah is also our community of Wetcanvas administrator...and you can private message her for info that might help toward that end...

sallspaw is her Wetcanvas name...
  #680   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

No luck. I have tried about ten times today, including just now before I PM'ed Sarah. I explained everything to her so maybe she can help. I want to listen to your words of wisdom.

Doug
  #681   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Doug. This is a very welcoming place. I guess you know by now that I checked out your blog. I'm glad you posted the trees here. I really like the depth you got in those trees.

Carol's little bicycle riders are wonderful, she has another on her blog.

Nanci, I really like your use of various of warm and cool colors to show a sense of light. I'm trying to learn from looking at your paintiing! It's fun for me to see another person painting in acrylics for this painting practice, too.

And Barbara, your tulips are glowing, I love how you did that.

When I first started my regular painting practice around November, I played with many mediums. I see that some people posting in this thread are doing that, too. I found that my painting improved when I decided to focus on one medium and put aside everything but my acrylics. I'm wondering if anyone else has thoughts or experiences about either sticking with one medium vs. using many. Like others here have mentioned, I am looking forward to Larry's gouache class, though. I had a lot of fun painting with some pastels over gouache last fall, too.

Meredith
meredithadler.blogspot.com
"Paint Like Nobody's Watching"
  #682   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Meredith & Dough Thank you for your feedback.

Doug - I see you are playing with different techniques - lots of fun to try and you have some interesting results. I see texture in both pieces. Movement in the trees and sky in the landscape with the texture. Nice use of colors in the pear.

Meredith - I like your flowers and vase

Carol Lee - Love the texture and colors in your daffodils painting and the different kind of vase - nice fertility symbolism.

Barbara

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #683   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Meredith- My main medium is pastels, but I like using other mediums as well. Often when I am "playing" with gouache, watercolor, oils, acrylics (I have them all ) I will learn something that I can use with pastels. I often use gouache or watercolor for under paintings. Richard McKinley uses oils for under paintings for his pastel paintings. I know some people just use one medium, but I like variety.

Barbara- Thanks for the comments. I like trying different things and figure this challenge is the place to do it.

Here is my first painting of the month. It is painted with soft pastels over a gouache under painting. It is painted on 5 x 7 Uart 400 grit sanded paper. This was painted for the Spotlight over in the Past Talk arae of WC.

The gouache under painting

Doug
  #684   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM

acrylic, 6x6"

These were soooooo hard (I painted these today). I really thought my head would explode during one point of the process. There has got to be an easier way to paint roses than the way I approached them. I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to paint roses, or would be willing to do a demo. Or has already seen a good demo of roses here on WC. I'll do a search for a demo, too, but I don't usually have much luck with my searches here.

The way I tried was by painting each rose flatly with a mid-tone in a rose shape first and then adding lights and darks for petals. My head was spinning! Yikes...

I'm happy enough with the way they came out, especially since it was my first time trying to paint roses...there just has to be a better way!

Per my earlier guidance from Larry, I think I managed to resize this painting to a small enough size to post. I use Picasa, which doesn't seem to have any of the variables you mentioned in your response about Photoshop, Larry, but I found something to try and at least in the preview it seems to look small enough now. Fingers now crossed as I hit "submit reply."

Thanks to everyone for being so nice about my first posted painting; it was kind of scary to post an image here for the first time. Your kind welcome made me feel comfortable enough to post another one, so....many, many thanks....I really appreciate you all.
  #685   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

It gets easier and easier every time, Meredith. I still remember the first painting I posted here five years ago. I was soooooo nervous. Now I don't even think about it.

You did a great job on these roses. I see the color of the roses continued in the background. The roses have enough info to let us know what they are. I really like the color of the blue pill bottle. It makes a very nice vase.

Doug
  #686   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Doug, and thanks for what you wrote on my blog. I appreciate receiving the feedback on the painting. It helps me learn.
  #687   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Meredith- It is always nice to know that we are not alone in our journey. I am enjoying my journey and I am also enjoying following others. Fun stuff.

Here are my last two efforts. The first was painted from a reference photo fro the IRL that I cropped. The painting is 5 x 7 and is painted on Uart 800 grit paper using Pan Pastels, soft pastels and pastel pencils. I ran out of tooth and couldn't get the look I was after.

The second painting is painted from life, using a primitive light box made from a cardboard moving box. I have to paint the inside of the box black so the light doesn't bounce around. It didn't help matters that the mug has a shiny finish to it. It is painted with soft pastels and is painted on 5 x 7 Belgium Mist Wallis sanded paper. This little guy is #30! A quarter of the way to 120. Already. Wow, time flies.

Thanks for looking.

Doug
  #688   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Right on. This is the third day in a row I painted. I even got a chance to line my light box with black paper and it sure makes a difference. Then I figured it was time to try a new pastel paper. This is painted on a 5 x 7 blush Art Spectrum Suede paper and I used soft pastels.

I think I'm getting a more painterly look. Maybe?

Doug
  #689   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
on beautiful Quadra Island, BC off the east coast of Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

thanks for all the comments! Now for a new angle...my mind!

Fish Reflections

acrylic on canvas

20" x 16"
www.firesignartanddesign.com
  #690   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM
on beautiful Quadra Island, BC off the east coast of Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

I started this one last July on site during the Comox Valley Music Festival and I pulled it out to finish recently
"Music Fest: Capturing the Spirit"
48" x 24"b
acrylic on canvas
I think I should stop soon...
www.firesignartanddesign.com

Last edited by firesignart : 05-07-2012 at 02:19 PM.