WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia
Grey Clouds Gather

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Grey Clouds Gather
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 36 x 48ins
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I want a very Australian landscape piece in my floods exhibition (all done as aerial views from my broomstick).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
As always, I appreciate all comments and anything for improvements especially! :D
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States
Re: Grey Clouds Gather

I usually love your work, but for some reason, I don't find this one up to your usual standards. It just doesn't ring true for me. Maybe it is too hot. I just don't know. Look forward to reading comments by others.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 AM
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

Bugga! But thanks Phil. Australia is the driest continent on earth and it is the hot hard back country that I wanted to capture. May I sit with you whilst I wait for others critique.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

Looks like the joint's on fire. So this work could function as a kind of fantasy volcanic landscape, say the Aussie astronauts have just landed on Mercury, But not, as I see it, as a regular desert-y scene. That's not necessarily a criticism as a fantasy landscape can be a very successful painting. My crit is with the parallel regularity of the sunbeams. They seem too self similar and not visually credible.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hi Marie! I love your daring colours, but perhaps it's not brown or terracotta enough for Australian landscape and a lot of purples. The pinky purples tend to give it a more fantasy feel as the guys mentioned, but still it is a very attractive painting. It does remind me a bit of close encounters of the third kind, in the nicest possible way of course, no insult intended. =)) I like the wonderful intense sky and the play of light on the land. Really very pretty. I am a lover of a lot of colour. cheers and keep up the lovely work. Debs. =))
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
NY

Hails from United States

Marie you know I love your work, but this doesn't do it for me. Like Phil says it's not up to your standards.

I guess what really bothers me are the light shafts, they're not reading well to me. They seem painted on (I know, I know) but you get what I mean. They're not integrated into the piece, as if just layed on top.

Sorry.

Now, the light on the GROUND I think is very well done.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

I think the scene is quite lovely. When I back away from the monitor and get the full value range of colors it is especially nice. Now the light beams are to me a distraction. I have never seen them painted by anyone where they actually look convincing. I think were I you I'd remove them completely. Let the eye follow the light without a roadsign pointing the way. You've done a marvelous job of reflecting the light in the right places so do you really need the rays? However, should you decide to keep them I am with TG. check the spacing and the width of the rays so there is not repetative shapes there. Looking forward to see what you decide to do.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

oh bother
you've burst my bubble of thinking you're Perfect!

loving the foreground ... loving (what i can see of) the background and (maybe) if the light beams had depth/distance vs having them all reach the ground in a pretty straight line, right at horizontal center(!?) i'd like them, but as is they're kind of just blocking a beautiful view and perhaps less would be more?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

I like the colors, the whole thing actually, maybe it warms me up since it is cool & damp here LOL.
I don't know if you can soften or make the light rays more of a misty softer look? That would make it more like the rays I saw the other day.

Landscape Composition tips - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Jo...120/index.html
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 PM
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

Thank you everybody for your honesty - I do cherish that in this forum. And I totally agree - this painting MUST DIE. The canvas is being removed from the frame as we speak and progress is being made down to the burning pile. How did I get it so wrong! LOL No more comments I beg you all - this painting no longer exists. Hugs
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

I quite like it with the pink broken up. I just brushed across at random.

Except if you could make the rays of light glow instead of the distracting striped effect .

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Gold Coast, Australia

Hails from Australia

Wow Marie, I've just toured your website etc. love your work, even though I only work with acrylics at present. You seem to have a pretty good following as well. Don't know how you do it. I may have to check out Fine Art America.
Meanwhile I'll just keep plodding along and thoroughly enjoying painting and viewing different artist's work. Cheers

Paul
www.paulbennettfineart.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Tamil Nadu State ,India

Hails from India

Wonderful as usual from you.. Great work..

Saravanan.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Oh Marie..... I hope you didn't scrap it???? It was a lovely work, and definitely could have been changed if you wanted to???? I loved the colours and and and...... oh I hope it isn't really gone? =((
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensyster
Thank you everybody for your honesty - I do cherish that in this forum. And I totally agree - this painting MUST DIE. The canvas is being removed from the frame as we speak and progress is being made down to the burning pile. How did I get it so wrong! LOL No more comments I beg you all - this painting no longer exists. Hugs

you really didn't think that wouldn't garner more comments!
BIG kudos for you for being one of the very brave who can move on without issue and heartache. admitting/knowing/accepting that something isn't the best representative of your talents is proof, i think, of an advanced artist.
can't wait to see the next installment

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek