WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Munich, Germany

Re: The "Goal Post" for May 2012

1) bookbinding (last month of the class)
2) don't overdo as much (this is not something I've got in balance --I'm trying to gradually not overdo--i.e. overdo a little less every month.)
3) try to get a painting done for the PGE apprentice challenge
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Charlie- Another busy month for you. Good luck with the show.

Ulla- Have fun reaching your goals. WC is a big place, so I don't know if you are aware of the Classroom over in the Drawing and Sketching channel. There is a lesson on perspective and I thought you might be interested. Here is the link. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597782

Mercy- Pacing yourself should help not over doing things. Have fun binding and painting.

Doug
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

Dougwas, thanks for the link! Wow - such a lot of important information - definitely need more hours in the day...
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Ulla- You are welcome. I spent a few months over in the Classroom in the Drawing and Sketching channel. I think I only made it to about lesson 12, but it improved my drawing skills and gave me more confidence putting pencil or pastel to paper. And like everything at WC, it's free.

I did a Spotlight painting yesterday, so that's half way to a tick.

Doug
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Doug...Good for your half-tick!
That's next on my list....'cause I
#1...finished the still life that's been sitting on the easel, and posted it...
#2...cleaned up the area ( a mouse has somehow gotten into rhe basement and leaving calling cards behind....yukkie!)
and #3...I started the daily sketches again, (in my sketchbook; not being posted)

So off to a good start for the month....hopefully the momentum keeps up throughout!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

I'm not setting any goals this month. I'm just going to wing it and do whatever I want, artwise! Might do a Spotlight, might finish updating my blog, but I want to work on people and portraits and landscapes. So I think this month will hopefully just be stress free...no puzzles, no deadlines, no health issues!

Christine Neidhofer
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Awesome goals, everyone! Dianne, make yourself use the expensive good paper. It works better than normal paper so you can accomplish more with it - and if you use it up, you have a good reason to buy more of the good expensive paper. No matter what level you are, some paintings come out "inspired" and are perfect exactly as they are. By using the best materials you can ensure these spontaneous miracles don't fade or get damaged.

I haven't even decided my May goals yet. Was very busy from the top of the month, offline a lot, exhausted. I went out three days in a row - Monday was the intake appointment for my new therapist, Tuesday was Small Group Ministry and yesterday was my weekly clinic visit. I was going to go out with Reba for our second plein air excursion that afternoon, but it was cold and my joints hurt and I was so tired I passed out instead.

Reminder to self, I really do have to rest up after going out for anything.

May Goals:
1) Keep doing 120 small paintings. Each one counts.
2) Spotlight
3) Update my Oil Pastels site
4) Other Accomplishments
5) Rest As Needed

Okay, I think that keeps it simple enough. I'll do what's in reach and rest as needed. So far all I've done is "rest as needed." That and help my new Tuesday-Thursday home care worker improve her English twice a week. She's very good at her job and so sweet, I want to communicate better with her.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Weld Maine

Hails from United States

Thanks for the encouragement and welcomes! I hope it is OK to post this WIP, I need some critical eyes. The first thing I see in the photo is the lights are really light! I have not done any detail yet, but I am using Wallis paper...it sure makes a difference. I even enjoyed doing a pencil sketch on it. I have mostly used Nupastels, but did use a few strokes of Ludwigs.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Judi- You are off to a great start. You did a great job on your still life. It is good to see you painting again.

Christine- You shouldn't feel pressured making goals. Goals can be very flexable and you have the power to change them when you want. Have fun painting this month and good luck with the health issues.

Robert- You have had a busy start to the month. Time to rest up so you can get painting. So achieve goal #5 and the rest should will be less difficult for you. Good luck.

Dianne- You can post your painting here if you want. You might get more feedback if you post it in the Spotlight thread. They are freindly over there too. You are doing a fine job on your painting. Good to see you are using your Wallis paper. Feels good, doesn't it? The light part of the deer might be a value or two too light. They look great though! Keep at it and use up the Wallis paper so you can buy some more.

Doug
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Too true, Doug. If I do well on #5 that'll make the rest possible.

Dianne, definitely post this to the Spotlight. It's beautiful. I love the raw power of it, there's a wonderful loose texture in the background and the deer jump forward so gorgeous. Only thing I would suggest is to soften that edge of the field by the trees maybe by adding an intermediate color, some taller brush between the meadow and the trees.

Judi, this is one of the basic reasons you need a cat. Unless you have a cat and she's just not on the job. Yay for your still life and daily sketching!

Christine, that's an awesome idea, a low stress month. Go you.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Weld Maine

Hails from United States

Thanks Doug and Robert. I will take your suggestions and post in the Spotlight when finished. I think I need to purchase some lighter value sticks and some bigger Wallis paper! Now, my big problem will be stopping before adding all the details which usually ruin my paintings....
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Dianne, the whites may show up much whiter in the photo than in real life, as white reflects much more light. The whites look burned out in the photo, so look carefully at the real thing, it might be just right. However, the whites in shadow are darker than whites in light, so check that too.

All of you who need to take care of your health: That should be the number one goal! I'm sensitive to stress, and I have a lot of it right now, and am getting the early-warning signs... So I've decided to skip choir practice and concert (hobby), and focus on the show and getting the big commission I might be chosen to paint (income). Stomach is starting un-knot just by deciding that, and I slept well last night.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

LOL Robert....no cat, but I do have a dog (Chihuahua) who is definitely a lap-dog. Keeps me busy petting and massaging, and de-stgressing me. (Although he does also have a tendency to 'stress' me when he makes up his mind he wants something!) First time in 30some years we've been without a cat, since our Mercury died 7 years ago. Then our 'Buddy' came into our life.

We always had 0ut-door cats, and I cant conceive of keeping a cat indoors here, except for the coyotes which are about now, wouldnt want to let a cat out now at night.

Charlie...YAY for knowing when enough is too much! Hope your de-stress -ing is successful and permanent!
Doug...Thanks. Yes, it felt GOOD to get dusty again.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Dianne- It's starting. You want bigger paper now and the next thing you know, you will be ordering some new pastels as well. lol We all know the signs.

Charlie- Good for you. You are the only one who knows what you are going through and you made the decision that is right for you. You can always sing while you paint.

Judi- It sounds like you have a very good little friend. Now if you could just train him to be a mouser.

Doug
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Munich, Germany

My efforts on destressing (I also have bad days after stressful ones) and not overdoing must be doing some good, I just got bloodwork results today, and some of them are better

Unfortunately, a couple of them are Not. Especially the Vitamin D, that's back down to vampiric levels in spite of 1000 IU a day (clearly not enough, I am going out in the sun too, already). Higher dose again, ho!

Adding a new goal: trying out that physical therapist around the corner to strengthen my back, now that I know that I don't actually have to find a non-crap orthopedist before I can do PT. I.E. actually make and keep the appointment. And I guess a second goal of making another appointment with the rheumatologist, who I was supposed to see again more than a year ago.

(NOTE: please don't take this as an opportunity to offer me advice on what to do about my health, I'm just looking for sympathy groans and yays here, as appropriate.)