WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
LAWSONVILLE, NC

Hails from United States
Question Alternate Pen Materials?

I've seen pens made from bamboo, reeds, and bird feathers. All pretty much the same: cut a piece out of a tube, adjust it, and away you go.

Being a curious type () I was wondering if anyone has used other materials, such as old BiC pens, or other plastic tubes. What about chicken -- or other bird -- bones? (I told you I was a curious type! )

Thanks,
--Rich
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Alternate Pen Materials?

Folded pens are a lot of fun: http://jan777.blogspot.com/2011/12/t...olded-pen.html

Salman

My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Folded pens! Yes

The MOST fun is to just go out into the backyard and pick up a bunch of random twigs. The ones that make the best (imo) marks are the ones that are frayed or knobby at the business end, so that they release your ink in unexpected ways. You can get marvy marks using twigs.

Other ideas:
-- feathers (dip the feathery end in the ink and go at the paper using different angles, to get thin wispy marks and then very wide wet marks
-- use green leaves, like the green tuft on the top of a carrot (you could bind it with a make-shift ferrule, like a rubber band, to get a more controlled line, but this is not about control, is it? )

This kind of experimentation is great fun. (And a super way to warm up and/or relax.) I'd love to hear other's ideas of makeshift, off-the-cuff funky ink applicator tools.

Jan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 AM

I use bamboo quills a lot, I buy them in sets of three with a large, medium, and small quill but I usually only use the medium one as I can get thick lines and fine lines with it. Some of my favorite sketching tools are plain old disposable chopsticks. Some I break apart from the connected pair and then sharpen to a fine or blunt point, some I use the tapered flat end, and some I leave connected and use the super wide flat end. Pentel brush pens are great too. Sticks, especially really long and thin/bendy ones can be awesome because you have such little control over the tip that it forces you to loosen up. Experiment!

Some pics:

chopstick, flat end:

Quick lunchtime chopstick sketch:

Another quick lunch chopstick sketch, the paper was stained with my Shui Xian oolong tea:

Another:

Another quick chopstick sketch, I did this one partially in the rain and let it do its own thing:
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Louisville, Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman.khattak
Folded pens are a lot of fun: http://jan777.blogspot.com/2011/12/t...olded-pen.html

Salman

I've never seen folded pens before. Those are pretty cool, and I'd like to try making some. Thanks for the link!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegill
I've never seen folded pens before. Those are pretty cool, and I'd like to try making some. Thanks for the link!
Share your results here! I look forward to hearing your opinions of various materials and techniques.

I am signed up for an autumn workshop with a folded pen calligrapher and plan on 'picking her brain' as to best practices for making them.

Jan