WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Pretty cottage.... Hawkesbury district, Australia

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pretty cottage.... Hawkesbury district, Australia
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the 2nd watercolour I did from a reference photo, over a year ago now. I took the photo whilst driving around the lower Blue mountains Hawkesbury district and thought it was quite pretty and gave it a go! I actually sold it (to my total amazement, as I was new to watercolour and wasn't even considering selling) as soon as it was finished so I can't make changes now, but I am interested for future studies in any and all critique and feedback. I expect quite few crits. No offence will be taken =))

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I know that the perspective of the cottage shed is off, and I feel that I should not have made the letterbox central. When I painted it, I wasn't aware of these compositional issues, but after studying so many other artists works I am now frustrated that I didn't do this work justice and now I can't retrieve it to correct. So.... At least I can use my knowledge for future works. If you can please critique me on these and any other issues I would be greatly appreciative. Cheers. Debs. =))
Attached Images

Last edited by Debzy : 04-28-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Picture too big
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States
Re: Pretty cottage.... Hawkesbury district, Australia

I would not have made this beautiful cottage so dominant in the picture. I think that you should have shown a wider area with a lead in to the cottage and used the rule of thirds to enhance the composition. No reason why you can't just do another with that in mind.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hi Phil, not a bad idea!!! I never thought of broadening the composition, the ref photo was cropped so there was more I could have added! Yes, great idea! I may well do another one of this scene as it appealed to a lot of people who saw it and I enjoyed doing it. I feel if I attempt a similar one of the same scene I would like to improve on it hence my posting it here. Thanks for your suggestions Phil, much appreciated! Cheers. Debs. =))
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Dana Design

Debzy, essentially, you've critiqued your painting well. When you go to redo it, keep your center of interest in mind...what will it be? Phil's advice is spot on...especially the rule of thirds, the Golden Mean.

But don't feel badly about this painting. Someone is admiring and enjoying it. That's a good thing!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

lovely work, but yeah, if the decorative things in the front yard were moved a bit to the right it would both cover some of the boring side of the cottage and be perfectly in a rule of thirds spot ... also a titch of blue shared into the brown roof would integrate it more compatibly with the rest of the scene.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Thanks Dana and La, absolutely top critique as always! I will definitely attempt this one again and adapt yours and Phil's suggestions. It will definitely improve the painting heaps, and I love the idea of integrating some blue shades into the roof, I couldn't quite work out what was bothering me about the roof and you have nailed it I think La ! Brilliant! Thank you again all of you, so much appreciated. Cheers as always, Debs. =))
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

When I have to use a photograph as the reference, and when I paint plein air, I put on my 'I am God' tee shirt. Cos I can with the stroke of a brush add a giant tree, remove an entire mountain, add cows, remove clouds. A photo is only an aide-memoires and a scene is only how it feel into place not the best composition necessarily. Get yourself a tee shirt and keep painting cos you have a talent so you are honour bound to develop it. That's just from one aussie to another!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Love the greens, and expression in the sky .
I found Johannes Vloothuis’s artical <HTTP: index.php 120 135 Articles2 www.wetcanvas.com>very useful http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/index.php. Arnie

Last edited by arnieb : 05-02-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Link missing
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Thanks Marie and Arnie! You are right of course Marie, as a painter one can be like God, and create anything one wishes! So true, and I am indeed learning that now! Thank you for the feedback and advice. I will check out that wetcanvas thread Arnie and report back, I really appreciate your viewing my work both of you and am grateful for all help and advice. Cheers. Debs. =))
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 PM

I agree with most of the comments here.
The only other thing I might add is that you are using your watercolor a bit like an oil painter would use oil paint. Maybe try for layering the color in thinner washes and mixing it on the paper more than on the palette. I am inclined to think you may like using oil or acrylic better.