WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Travelling and Art

But what could be better for traveling? Fits in a shirt pocket or purse.

this

made with Fimo or Sculpy

instructions

and from right here on WC

My Website
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Terrace, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

I usually take a couple of decent drawing pads and a kit of Carb Othello (Swan Stabilo) colours in the fold up case they came in. Works fine for me. Good luck and enjoy your trip. BTW --I've jsut returned home from Australia -- love it!!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Toolakea Qld Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Truflecat, Snoball & Craig, I feel that I am now armed with heaps of good suggestions and will hopefully make the right decision before I leave. I have also had a couple of trips previously and got caught up in the amazing scenery and had no time to paint.This time I hope for a better outcome.
Thank you all....................Jen
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Toolakea Qld Australia

Hails from Australia

Craig,
Glad you enjoyed Australia, we are supposed to be going to Canada next year for a wedding, so will be able to see some more amazing Scenery if time allows. I have heard so much about your lovely country! Agghhhhhhhh, more art worries!!
Jen
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Terrace, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

I hope you enjoy Canada as much as we enjoyed Aus. Will you be anywhere on the west coast when you come? Great scenery!!!!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Toolakea Qld Australia

Hails from Australia

Yes Craig, the wedding will be in Vancouver next year in June. I'm sure we will get time to enjoy the beauty around the area, not sure how long we would stay for yet. At least I will have had the experience of art and travel this year, and should be a pro by next year, well that's the plan.
Jen
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Terrace, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Sounds like a good plan. As cities go, Vancouver is one if the nicer ones, You should try to get over to Vancouver Island or if time and money permit, take the ferry up coast.
Craig
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Oil pastels or acrylics!

Attellier Interactive acrylics have a longer 'opening time' than normal acrylics, so you have a bit more time to blend, etc before they dry, and an unlocking medium which will work for a day or so if you want to change anything.

Alternatively you could try Windsor & Newton Griffin Alkyd Oils, which are faster drying than regular oils, but slower than acrylics - touch dry in a day.

Both of these are not cheap options!

Welcome to the UK, I hope the weather is warm and dry when you get here!

If you have time to spare before you go, you could try them out at home before you make a final decision.

Don't forget to visit the Tate galleries, either London or Liverpool! And the Lowry Gallery in Manchester...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM
SouthWest France

Hails from France

what about oil pencils ? no need to wait for the canvas to dry.
cretacolor oil pencils are great, but there are other brands too, Faber Castell...
have a nice holiday in this lovely country.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Toolakea Qld Australia

Hails from Australia

Thank you John, I already have oil pastels and will see how they go along with my water colour pencils. Looking forward to visiting your country and also looking forward to some cool weather for a change from this heat!
Thanks Luminere33, as you see I am going to try a few things before I go and hope that I actually get time to use them. Great advice from everyone!.....Jen
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM

How about an iPad?

David Hockney produced some pretty good stuff on an iPad recently

Otherwise, try a handful of pencils and a digital camera

Orkney is awesome, but if you go that far north, you should also go to Shetland

Orkney is populated by farmers who also own a boat, and Shetland is populated by fishermen who also keep sheep

There is a rich vein of history running through the Northern Isles, all the way from pre-historic times (check out Skara Brae etc) through the Vikings and Christianity and the cruel Scottish landowners, to WW1 and the scuppered German navy, Scapa Flow, WW2, and North Sea oil.

O, I nearly forgot the spectacular tides, and the Old Man of Hoy, and the wildlife. The list goes on

Enjoy

ps - I am a miserable Englander, living to the South of Watford...
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Perhaps "solid watercolour" would help? No dust, no need to sharpen, just open the tin and let it go, and if you like you can use a brush and transform your drawing into a painting.

Derwent Aquatone http://www.pencils.co.uk/product.aspx?mid=721 is a pencil-sized crayon, Derwent Inktense Blocks http://www.pencils.co.uk/product.aspx?mid=1338 look more like pastel sticks.

Or, of course, a set of decent colour pencils!

Heikki