WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Loveland, Colorado

Hails from United States
No Wind Knots

Hi everyone, I have not posted in a while again, but i have been watching and learning. I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this one and might have to set it back till I get more experience. If you could give me an idea on how to make the dark grey braids stand off the neck more and any other comments you think might help me I would greatly appreciate them. I have included the reference photo taken by me in Wyoming and you can see there is a lot more work to do. This is a 14 x 11 board using a sewing needle, #11 exacto and a #11 scapel. Thanks for looking.
Rich

c&c always welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States
Re: No Wind Knots

Rich, figure out exactly where the light is coming from and put in shading along the braids. That should separate them from the neck. Watch his eyes, in the photo they really do not show as his eyelashes and eyelids cover them up. Also his ear (our left) needs the slim tube bottom to it. Think of the ear like a toilet paper tube. They are round on the bottom as they emerge from the head, but then it spreads out like someone has taken that tube and cut the ear. In fact, take a roll and cut it like an ear. Leave about 3/4" still round at the bottom.

Don't forget the shadow at the bottom of his neck.

You are doing very well. Horses are not easy to do.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
A Local Legend
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Hails from United States

Rich--you've done some good work here and Sue has given you terrific advice. I think you are closer to a great piece than you might think.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

What a great piece for scratchboard. I agree with Sue's suggestions... and you are almost finished!

Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

You're going well here Rich. When you have scratched the neck more to eliminate the black specks the grays in the mane will be more prominent. I would suggest scratching the lines a little longer too to soften. The eyelid on our left needs to be more of an angle as its almost closed in the ref. Also don't forget to ink in the shadows on the lower neck and the cheek area to give more depth. Hope that helps?

C&C Always welcome
jennyetches.weebly.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

You've gotten some good advice to continue on. This will be a very good piece.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Loveland, Colorado

Hails from United States

Sue, Thank you for your input I am now applying your sugestions and it does look much better. I will post an update tomorrow.

Harry, thank you, this will keep me going to the finish.

Diane, thank you, I liked the way the braids looked because they were not all wind blown yet and I too think it will make a good piece.

Jenny, Your advice is being input as I type this thankyou, I have also added a shadow line down the braids and that helped.

Lorna, You all give such good advice, thank you for the confidence.

Rich

c&c always welcome
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

This is so cool. Such a different subject.

My two pennies worth;

You appear to have tried to open the horses eyes and I commend you for that. Not easy. I like it though Sue is the expert so defer to her. However, I do believe the right eye (on our left) is a touch low compared to the photo. If you draw a line through the eyes on your work and on the photo, one slightly tilts up and the other slightly tilts down.

Also, to bring the braids forward, I reckon try adding that shading in at the bottom of the neck. Apologies for my poor computer drawing but even in that, the braids very quickly separate from the neck, and that's only by adding shadow to the bottom.

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 05-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I think you have started well on it, just keep refining and comparing to the reference. You'll have a very nice board.

My Website
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Loveland, Colorado

Hails from United States

First I apologize for not posting this update earlier like I said I would.

Patrick, thank you for your two pennies and the shading you added that helped me alot.

Snowball, when I did the workshop that got me started with scratchboard the instructor insisted that if should look at my reference often, maybe even once a minute,I think I forgot that.

Although the picture does not show it well I added a shadow down the left side of the braids, the ear had a shadow down and over the braid next to it, the bottom of the neck is now shaded, and the area on the cheek that Patrick pointed out. I changed the eye a bit, hope it looks better.

I think I am close to finnishing this board now but I can still see a few things to work on now that it is on the computer. Thank you to all for looking and helping me progress.

Rich

c&c always welcome