WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 PM
manitoba canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Acrylics drying WAY too fast!

Linranae:
With the Golden Open, dont use water for thinning --- use the Open thinner or Open medium instead. By not using the water, I think that you will find that your painting will not dry so matte.

Last edited by trapper36 : 08-13-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: to add
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
manitoba canada

Hails from Canada

Plus, will not dry as fast either ---- giving you time to blend.
Maybe you and I should try painting with oils using Walnut oil for thinning medium, and for brush washing. That is, solvent free oil painting.
I have the walnut oil and some M Graham oils but have yet to get around to trying them out. Some on this Forum swear by it.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 AM
manitoba canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by linranae
I think I may have found a semi-solution...though not wet-in-wet - I've found that I can blend reasonably well by blending wet over dry with my finger. I have to add a little water or medium to the paint to get it moving and then I smudge and tap with my finger to blend it. It's not perfect but it's better than what my blending looked like when I tried wet-in-wet and the paint dried too soon.

I also tried my Golden Opens again - this time by adding some water to the paint and my brush. That seemed to keep the paint wet enough to blend if I did it quickly but I'm not so sure I like the texture of the Opens - they're really gooey. (I'm picky I guess!)

So now I have a couple of options for blending. I will try to adjust my air conditioning to see if that helps too.

I may also get some medium for the water-mixable oils I have lying around and try those again. The medium bottle I had dried up and I had to throw it out.

Change to Oils and use Walnut oil for medium and cleaning brushes. Final cleaning of brushes can be done with Murphy Oil Soap.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 AM
manitoba canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper36
Change to Oils and use Walnut oil for medium and cleaning brushes. Final cleaning of brushes can be done with Murphy Oil Soap.

SORRY. Didnt notice that this topic is so old, and I answered myself!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM

Hails from St Vincent and the Grenadines

Changing your medium is very expensive!!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 AM
central NY

Hails from United States

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated. I found myself impatiently waiting for a small underlayer to dry last night in order to do some glazing and was thinking to myself that acrylics take a long time to dry.

Have you tried adding a bit of glazing medium to the paints you want to stay wet?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

wetting spray may be another assistant to lengthen drying time.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Try using Chroma Atelier Interactive Acrylics. They stay workable as long as you want. Just lightly spray the painting and you can continue blending. For more information on them, just check them out on the Blick web site.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Kazakhstan

Hails from Kazakhstan

I do plein air acrylic painting outside in West Texas - hot, dry, windyconditions where acrylics dry very fast.

In this weather,i believe high load pigment paints like Sennelier and Golden (regular) dry up very fast (under two minutes), while Liquitex and student grades are more forgiving. So I use Liquitex more often for outdoors work.

In the most extreme drying cases, I do my first pass with acrylics diluted with a mister (sometimes as far as watercolor consistency), then add layers with matte medium thinned paints. Finish up in the hotel room with full strength pigments.

I should use a retarder, but as I have grown in my painting skills, I have become more sensitive to diluting my paints with mediums instead of using full strength. Also,I use white liquid gesso instead of TiO2 white to tint, which buys more delay in drying time and makes mixing colors easier.

Stay wet palette. -works great indoors,too bulky and hard to secure in windy conditions. Indoors, I do my color mixing with a knife on a piece of thick glass,then transfer mixed color back to the stay-wet or into a pill bottle. Glass seems to be less drying then a ceramic dish,but I don't know why.

Golden Open Acrylics -great idea,just need to banish water from your work place and use only opens acrylics. If you mix with other paints or spray water, the drying advantage goes away. Also,much above 85 F,the stay-open advantage goes away. Have not tried Chroma Atelier.

ORGANIZING PAINTS: Organizing your paints will buy you more time to paint with your quickly drying paints instead of fumbling around for the right tube, especially outdoors.

I organize my paints on binder rings by color - yellows, blues, reds, earths. The Liquitex tubes have a hole punched out in the bottom for the rack display which is very handy. Repair torn holes and add non-liquitex brands with duct tape. Pick up paints by the ring,not the tubes.

Happy Painting.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
land of ponies

Hails from Poland

From my experience:
- use Golden Open acrylics
- use medium like Golden Thinner (it also makes brushstrokes less visible, it doesn't dilute color)
- paint in slightly humid atmosphere (I once painted in my bathroom but that was before I discovered Golden paints)