WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Kazakhstan

Hails from Kazakhstan
Working Acrylics more efficiently

The recent post on drying time prompted some ideas to working faster:

ORGANIZE YOUR PAINTS: Organizing your paints will buy you more time to paint with your quickly drying paints instead of fumbling around for the right tube, especially outdoors.

I organize my paints on binder rings by color - yellows, blues, reds, earths. The Liquitex tubes have a hole punched out in the bottom for the rack display which is very handy. Repair torn holes and add non-liquitex brands with duct tape. Pick up paints by the ring,not the tubes.

MAKE YOUR OWN COLOR MIXING GUIDE.
I have filled a Raffine heavy paper sketch book with color mixes so I can zoom in on that "special mix. For example, If I am painting a sky, I flip to the "Blue Sky pageand I can look at the the paint swatches with tints and darening for for all the major blues - cerulean, cobalt, phtalo and ultramarine and quickly pick the right mix for my need. Dito for mixed greens, flesh tones, mixed neutrals, etc. Every time I get a new tube, I add a paint patch and perhaps some experimentation. Ditto for new mixes either accidentally or from an instruction book. Side benefit - you begin to realize which tubes of paint you really need and which are just convenience blends, also cross compare blending results against oil based paints.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Kazakhstan

Hails from Kazakhstan
Re: Working Acrylics more efficiently

Photo shot from my hotel room, demonstrating paints in binder rings and example colorpage
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Metropolis

Hails from United States

i love your post and your color charts and organization- sadly when i paint i am all over the place hee hee

My Portfolio:JOYFUL ART
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
land of ponies

Hails from Poland

Neat, thanks for sharing! Even though I won't use this method - I looooove to look for the right tube, gives me time to think twice about possible choice of color and my artistic soul feels better in a mess of tubes and brushes (I think it makes the process of painting sort of "making things tidy and clear" ^_^).