WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Runners

In my painting of runners, I wanted to convey speed and motion. I used a horizontal format and I did blur the edges of the runners. However, I don't quite feel as if I captured their movement. I also used even number of runners. Does the right runner feel as if he is going to run out of the canvas? Any advice is appreciated. This is a digital painting using only virtual brushes and paint. I mentioned my disability with cancer and my decision to switch to digital painting. No need to clean up. I am loving it. Thanks.
http://arlene-babad.fineartamerica.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Tuvalu
Re: Runners

Maybe some shadows to ground them would help with the speed thing I don't feel that he is running out of the picture.
I didn't hear about your disability and I wish you all the best with that but its good that you have branched out into another medium / method and as you say no cleaning up
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 PM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Runners

Very cool! I like it, and I do feel movement. I also don't have a problem with the rightmost guy. I think, since am a person that sees, reads and (s)pans things from left to right, the fact that the runners are running from left to right might be aiding the feeling of movement implicitly.

Some minor things I noted or observed, feel free to ignore:
  • The two figures have almost identical pose. Perhaps some variety?
  • The legs are too thick at the base. Being runners, would they have more toned musculature?
  • Some shadows might help like Trevor points out. Also, if you detach the shadow from the human body source, it will indicate a person in slightly mid air and might contribute to a feeling of movement.
  • Lastly, sorry to hear about your challenge. Am glad you found a medium through which you can still pursue your love for art.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Runners

Thank you both for your help.
http://arlene-babad.fineartamerica.com