WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM

Travel Contacts

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Travel Contacts
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 22 x 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a watercolor i did from a picture taken in Nepal. I am interested in know what kind of mood or feeling this generates for people.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like feedback on color, composition, use of contrast, texture and what you really like about it and what you don't like about it.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Israel

Hails from Israel
Re: Travel Contacts

I really like the texture and design elements ,especially how her skirt, shirt, and hair work together. The wooden wall feels real. I'm not sure what she is doing, but her intention is intense to me. All in all----I love this painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I love the earthy colours and the pattern details in the skirt and shirt. Can't see her legs but am guessing she is crouching to connect or attach something together? maybe she is fixing her sandal? Love the texture in the wooden surrounds and the depth and distance in your perspective! The title is interesting but I can't connect it with the scene. I really like it though and would like to know what she is doing!!! Cheers. debs.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

I really like this mysterious and thoughtful image and its colors. I don't understand the title either, but it leads me to think she is embarking on a trip or move, preparing some things. She looks very pensive, deep in thought, not about what she is doing, which is a distraction she must do, but about something that's ahead. Maybe moving away, maybe a trip she's taking by herself which she is a bit reticent or apprehensive about for some reason.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Is she placing something in a bottle? To put into the ocean?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I don't feel any mood from it. I like the patterns you are playing with, you even almost have a pattern in her hair - I think you should break that up a bit if you want it to just be hair. Compositionally it is ok, except her face. Her eyebrow/eye is way up on her forward, compared to the nose, which is low. I can not make out what the objects are she is touching. The watercolor effects look nice in the doorframe and wall on her right.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

A great palette with good textural qualities in the painting. I think that maybe she is preparing a backpack cradle.
Geoff
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
SouthWest France

Hails from France

I like it, but a little too dark for me.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Pune, India

Hails from India

Very very nice. You hace worked out great details. I love the dress....
The pallette is simple and therefore pleasing... the mood is a bit somber though.
Just a thought..... try this same painting ... with the late evening or early morning sunlight on the figure.... just have a feeling that it will also be as beautiful as this.
Great work.

Ajit
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the great comments. This is my wife traveling in Nepal trying to rinse her contact lenses (Mystery revealed )...no running water....hence the title "Travel contacts". I will endevour to improve the rendering of the green contact lense case she is holdling..it is a tricky angle but I should be able to clean it up.

Speaking about tricky angles the face presented a challenge...may revisit that as well.

Her hair was bleached completely white from the sun so I needed to introduce a bit of creative texturing on that part otherwise it would have been a flat white space with no contrast..perhaps there is another approach.

Last edited by Shawn Maynard : 05-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 AM
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

This is such a well executed and lovely work, I must add a few thoughts for your consideration. I hope they appear in the image above better than words.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensyster

This is such a well executed and lovely work, I must add a few thoughts for your consideration. I hope they appear in the image above better than words.

Hello,

I see some nice suggestions on the bottle. You have made some mods to the area below the water? The area is a puddle from the bottled water. Did you have some ideas for that?

thanks

thanks

Last edited by Shawn Maynard : 05-05-2012 at 07:58 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 AM
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

I was putting a small bowl there that picked up the subtle hues of the right side box. Cos you know what she is doing but the viewer would not - I think to word as a painting you must make a visual that the viewer can appreciate without reading a story.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

The bottle now appears to be the focus of the work?

Has something been lost here do you think?

The bottle and the bowl colouring seem out of place in the overall picture, but perhaps this does work as introduced objects? Yes possibly.

I dont know that the work generates any mood, it feels quiet to me. Bit like a Balinese image.

Andrew