WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States
Poppies...how original right

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Poppies...how original right
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is pan pastels on pastel mattboard.

I needed to do something a little different so tried a little different perspective on these poppies. Not sure if it is working. It is so over cast today the photo is coming out a little more grey than it really is and the purples a little stronger then they are. I wanted to keep it simple without overworking it too much.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did I go too far and make it too busy? Any comments are welcome. I hate coming up with names.. maybe I'll think of something a little more creative than just Poppies. :) suggestions?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: Poppies...how original right

Not too busy for me Christine, and in my opinion....I think it's perfect! Unusual colours, nice contrasts, very original looking! Usually one sees Poppies in a setting with blue skies and green surrounds etc, but yours is not the regular expected colour scheme! Well done. Like your use of pastels, you are very skilled with them. =)) cheers. Debs.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM
A Local Legend

beautiful! love the wind
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Very Small town in Canada - Road goes in and ends

Hails from Canada

This piece has lots of movement both in the sky and the flowers and grasses themselves. I love the softness of it all and the worm's eye perspective. Very nice work!

Quote: "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home." by Twyla Tharp.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Poppy Storm? Storm of Poppies?

I like the soft movement too. I think of that crisp crepe paper feel when I think of poppies, so I'd consider adding some lines to the petals and more definition to their irregular edges on some of the flowers.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

You did the whole schmeer with pan pastels? I bought a set a couple of years back and find them too "light" in coverage. I do like the "softools" though. I think your painting idea is a good one and like the result. My two crists are (a) the sky seems brown like with a lot of blowing dust. If that's not an artifact of the digital image, I think a yellower treatment like an early morning sky could be better and (b) while you've done a great job of randomizing the forms of the poppies I think the red hues could stand more variation. How about more mute hues on the one ones to the left to create more of a center of interest.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Dana Design

A different 'take' on poppies and I like it very much! Well done! No crits from here.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone...
Deb you are always so sweet.. glad you like it.
Mary glad you could feel the wind
Terri.. worm's eye..lol.. that's great!
Song Bird... the papavere (oh how ever you spell it) type of poppies are what you are talking about. They do look like what you have described. These are the smaller poppie that are not real frilly but rather tight and compact. I wanted simple with this and thought all those extra details would detract.
TG-- yes the whole thing is with pan pastels. I think the surface you work on with these makes a big difference. The wallis paper just eats your sponges where as the pastel mat board gets it teeth full in a hurry so the two are a pretty good match. But you also can't fool around with lots and lots of layers like on wallis either. If you haven't tried that paper give it a go. It pushes you more in the direction of watercolor in a way in that you don't have that many chances to get it right. You can erase to a degree but on the mat board it doesn't all come off either like wallis. There actually is a slight hue difference between the left and the COI poppie. I suppose it could be pushed a bit more though, with the limited color range in pans I wasn't sure what other color to use to be honest that would still read poppies and not lose the red totally. I am posting a new photo I took this morning with better light. I wasn't going to "natural" rather more of a color theme with this one. So the sky stays. sorry
Dana thanks.. glad you like it.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Immortalized
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Poppies....everybody loves them and I think you have done an excellent job with this painting.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
NY

Hails from United States

No CW it's not too busy. Love the perspective. And I like the idea of a overcast day for the backdrop.

Probably my favorite of yours. I have no idea what pan pastels are, but you work them beautifully.

As far as a title, can't help there I'm no good at them, BUT "Poppies" works for me.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I like it. Not the typical painting of poppies. Great use of color. Beautiful work.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

liking very much how you've subtly swept them toward the center

one of those pieces that would look fabulous at any size, wee li'l, really big, or anything in between. i like to image it very grand, on the side of a building

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

Tthis lovely composition demonstrates superb use of color. Granted, it is not the average ho-hum poppy painting - that's what makes it stand on its own. Please don't change a thing! The softness of pastel is at its best here.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
agnes water 1770

Hails from Australia

Certainly a departure for you and like every really good artist you bring to an oft worked subject a new perspective. I makes me think of the Reverence Day red poppies of Flanders field representing the souls of WWI. Great sense of gentle movement and your tones bounce off eachother beuatifully. I have no crit.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

Thanks Katie!Good to see you Jim! Thanks for looking in and commenting.
La.. thanks... I've more than once thought of painting this on my bedroom wall or something similar.
Tony.. thanks.. pan pastels are basically the same thing as stick pastels except they are in a little dish type container and you apply them with shaped sponges like a brush.
Aries.. I appreciate your input.
Marie.. yes I remember selling the little poppies for memorial day and buying them too. Makes me wonder if a cross could be pulled off in a poppy painting somehow.