WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Exciting Fractals to bring in the first Quarter of 2012

Hey Dave good to see you ...

#92   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast
Utah canyon country

Hails from United States

Thanks, Wendy and Dave, on my #88. Glad you like it. I was intentionally trying for the look of craftwork, so Wendy, it's nice to know you saw it as such.

Wendy, your #89a brings back memories of RADAR scopes while I was an air traffic controller. Your #89b makes me think of a macro shot of microscopic, transparent droplets of mist. And your #91 is a swarm of bees. Nice depth and compositional effect to it with that undulating flight pattern of the swarm.

Wendy, I haven't really thought of anything in the way of a "next push". As I had mentioned, when I had stopped posting I also had stopped making new fractals. And since then, my mind has been on many other projects, so I haven't thought about fractal creating much beyond the thought now & then of "Gee, I wish I had time to make some more fractals."

But I must say that I'm sure I haven't "finished" experimenting with the dragon egg formula. The results of it that I've posted were adding only one variation to each creation, with the exception of occasionally adding some blur for extra definition.

So there's still an endless number of possible results from combining variations with the same dragon egg formula. In fact, many of the handful of fractals I still have for posting yet are the result of such experimenting that I happened to create in between my single-variation creations. My next post, below, is one such example. It's the egg formula with the additions of linear, diamond and juliascope.

And I'm sure the dragon egg formula will remain a constant attraction, because it so easily lends itself to enjoyable keepers through experimenting.

This next one I did give a title to, but as usual, I've put the title well below the image, so that you can view the image first without being influenced by the title.

Veils

By the way, I can't post a new image every day because my monitor is going on the blink. It seems to take at least two days before it's "charged up" enough to work at all. If I turn it on any sooner, I simply get a black screen. And even if it's nothing but a black screen, I seem to have drained it of any "charge" that it had, so that I have to wait another two days or more before it will be charged up again.

I do have a new monitor ordered, but I have yet to get it.

Not that there's any rush. With the few fractals that I have left, I'm going to run out soon enough as it is. I definitely want to make some more, but with all the new things I have in my currant "pot of life", I don't anticipate much more fractal creating any time soon.

Last edited by desrat : 04-29-2012 at 12:55 PM.
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Nelson I did not think of veils when I saw your last one, I thought of a Fabergé egg under some creative lighting. Maybe an incubation chamber for an alien egg of some kind.
I would be interested to hear what your new projects are.
Thanks for the thoughts on my creations.
I hope your new monitor comes soon and you can spare a few minutes to create fractals.
I know what you mean about other things taking up time.

#94   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
A Local Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

Nelson #88 reminds me of a hammered brass/gold medallion from the Aztecs. Good job!
Your #92 reminds me of a visitor from outer space.
I downloaded the dragon egg script and hope to make something as good as you. Bad luck on the monitor, glad you have a new one coming.

Wendy, my daughter did a lot of on-line course work to become an RN. That's the only way she could do it as she was working full time as a Med Tech in a clinic at the time. It is nice to have that option available.

Your # 89a reminds me of an atom with the nucleus, protons and orbiting electrons around it and #89b is a photo from a galaxy some where over Australia! I like the bee swarm vision of Nelson on #91.
I like the movement in #93 but I need to study it a bit more.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
A Local Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

Here is one I really like. I of course added the notes in Photoshop.

#96   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Rich. I do like online studying.

The music notes really suit that image. I can feel the music!

#97   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Good stuff, Wendy & Rich.

I took a break from what I should be still doing to play around with an Apophysis flame. Duplicated it several times; scaled, resized, and rotated the duplicates; also tried out different blend modes and added photo filters to a couple of the duplicates.

snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast
Utah canyon country

Hails from United States

Wendy and Rich, yes, even before I gave my #92 the title of "Veils", I saw both a Faberge egg and an alien. But no matter what else I saw, veils always got in my view, so I decided "Veils" it was.

Wendy, cool additions. I especially like your #93. It's not at all easy to get a flame to work so nicely with a white background. Great depth to those droplets, along with some mist to enhance the "movement" effect. I think of it as falling "Droplets and Drizzle".

You asked what some of my projects are. My list may bore you, because the only thing approaching "artistic" is some natural landscaping. Here are some of the "projects".

Last fall I had a major invasion of wild mice inside my home. After trying several cheap ways to discourage them, I finally came up with one thing that worked. It was to make watery solutions of clay soil, pour layer upon layer of it up against my home, and let it harden. By that time, I had caught 37 mice in a live trap, and hauled them all off to a distant place so that they couldn't find their way back. The hardened clay finally stopped them. They tried to dig through it at first but eventually gave up.

Before cold weather had set in, I had poured the clay at all the major tunneling spots. I think the mice were actually following scent trails of previous mice to those same spots and redigging at them. So that once I stopped them at those spots, they didn't (so far) try tunneling at new spots. The freezes of winter helped to prevent new tunnels. But now no more frozen soil.

Between now and July, I'm going to be gone for several weeks. To play it safe while I'm gone, I'm continuing with the clay thing all the way around my home. I don't want to come home and find that mice had taken over while I was gone.

Somewhat related to the mouse prevention issue is some natural landscaping I've been doing. I live out in the boonies, so I don't have to maintain a manicured Kentucky Bluegrass yard. Instead, I've been doing natural landscaping with native plants. Part of that has been transplanting a bunch of stuff that was up against my home and making it hard for me to find mouse holes. I've been moving them to relatively empty spots where they add some nice "filler" and also provide some windbreaks to help keep down the ever-constant problem of windblown dust and sand.

So far, I've also added a cottonwood sapling for some much-needed afternoon shade once it starts to grow up, which I haven't had here for over 20 years. Plus some sagebrush seedlings for eye appeal and further wind-breaking.

Spring brings on another never-ending project, being constant weeding out of invasive obnoxious plants throughout the entire growing season. I spend much more time weeding than I would mowing a grass lawn, but it has its benefits. I don't have to listen to a noisy lawnmower. It gets me outside more often and gives me a pleasant way to get some exercise. It also makes it easier for the pleasing native grasses and wildflowers and shrubs to multiply or move in. I have several pleasing species in my yard now that weren't here when I first moved to here.

A side project of all this has been more time spent researching the species that I have now plus information on transplanting. That's one thing that I've wanted to do for a while, but I spent too much time creating fractals instead.

Another thing that fractalling kept me from doing was reading. I've always loved to read and was usually in the habit of reading at least a little bit just about every day. But once I started creating fractals, weeks went by without me doing any reading. I'm back to reading every day now.

Another project that I was putting off is revamping my filing system. I have six drawers of file cabinet space jammed full of files and no room for more cabinets and lots of overlap from new additions over the years. I've been reorganizing it all plus discarding out-of-date stuff to create more space.

Also, a friend of mine bought a new digital camera and gave me his old one. It's the first digital camera I've ever had, so it comes with a long learning curve for me. It's only a simple, old model, but I'm loving it.

Okay, enough on projects before I write a book.

Rich, thanks for the compliments. Your #95 red pattern is so striking. Love the transparent effect letting the black background show through.

About that dragon egg script...I don't know how many dragon egg scripts are out there. I did try to use one and was never able to get it to work right. So eventually, I simply did all the script's steps by hand from scratch. I did post all the steps a couple of times in previous posts, but I can't point you right to the specific posts at the moment. One was definitely at the very start of my posted "dragon egg experiment". So if you also have trouble getting that "script" to work, try finding those steps I gave and try it with that.

Dave, nice work on your #97. Nice asymmetrical balance to your patterns. I especially like your combination of colors and their lighting.

Wind Chimes
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Immortalized
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Nelson.....Great Wind Chimes...they have the illusion of movement!
Rich.........Love those red notes!
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Dave I love the colour and movement in #97.

Nelson it is always interesting to hear what people are up to. Real life has to be dealt with sometimes lol. Reading is always a good thing. Thanks for the complement.
Love your wind chimes. Stunning translucency there.

Good to see you drop in Katie.

I have just done my 3rd attempt at an ink wash portrait ... 4th attempt tomorrow ... each one has been better than its previous so I am hoping that the 4th is the best lol.

Anyway back to our scheduled fractalising lol ...

#101   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

#92 has such a delicate look to it.
#95 has a musical feel even without the notes
#97 beautiful flow and colors

I always enjoy looking in on this thread!
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Nelson, I love the wind chimes! Great shapes, wonderful highlights, and they look both delicate and slightly metallic.

Wndy, #100 is cool. I can't decide if it looks like a marble or a prosthetic eye for some imaginary creature with a reddish iris.
snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Utah canyon country

Hails from United States

Hmmm...I had created a new fractal post two days ago, but it's not here. Maybe I goofed while looking at its preview and forgot to hit the submit button. *shrugs* I show the same one again below.

Hi Katie. Thank you, and Dave and Wendy, for the comments on my wind chimes. It's nice to know I got movement, translucency, delicacy, and a metallic look in it all at once.

And thanks, Jon, for the delicate comment on my veils.

Wendy, I have to agree with Dave on your cool #100. An eye, for sure. I'm guessing a dragon eye. I'll even go so far as guessing that it hatched from a dragon egg.

Is that your fourth try to come on that lesson 1? Whichever lesson it is, now that's what I call "getting into it"!

Here's the one that didn't work two days ago.

Fish Abstract (or is it another one of those dragon eyes?)

Last edited by desrat : 05-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
A Local Legend
South Dakota, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks Wendy, Dave, Nelson, Katie, and Jon for your comments.

Wendy #96 has a good feel to it, like a lost planet in space. I have to agree with Dave on #100, an eye of some sort, maybe used for taxidermy.

Dave #97 is definitely lobster crawling on the ocean floor in deep water darkness.

Nelson, yes wind chimes, turn them upside down and you have jelly fish. Your #103 is both of what you said but I vote for a dragons eye.
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast
Utah canyon country

Hails from United States

Rich, I turned my wind chimes upsidedown to see your jelly fish, and you're right. Amazing how totally different it looks when flipped.

Here's a simple one.

I didn't title this one, but it might be something like "The Birth of Flight", in a scifi or fantasy way.