WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States
What do you guys think?

Here's an ad I was considering answering in Craigslist. It's for a drawing of ballet slippers:

Whether you execute in Pshop or on paper, I'm seeing pastel or watercolor on a solid BG. No photorealism. Be impressionistic. Submit a pencil sketch and bid plus link to portfolio. This is for an ebook and is low budget, but I'll give you a half page for self promotion with a hyperlink plus small fee.

What bothered me is that they ask for a sketch even before they hire you. It seems to me that if they look at my website, they can get a good idea of my drawing skills and my style. I'm perfectly happy to work on sketches if they hire me, but to do one for free seems questionable business practice.

What do you guys think? Am I being too fussy?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: What do you guys think?

I don't work for free.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

No you are not. They are looking to commission an illustration, but wish to pay nothing in return. They are looking for sketches and bids???, to me that sounds like they are looking for anyone who will work just for the
Quote:
but I'll give you a half page for self promotion with a hyperlink plus small fee
I''d wonder what the small fee was, $1 or $2?
I don't think it will be worth your time to be honest.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

An e-book that who will read? 1/2 page for your own advertising is cool in a sort of high school literary magazine sense, but it is worthless if no one reads the book. At some point you need to question the sales the author is getting, and to whom. If it is a guide to ballet sold or given to conferences of ballet slipper manufacturers, you probably have a good deal. If it is a fictional story published on a random nobody author site and is bought by one or two people, I'd say you don't have a good deal. If you want it for portfolio piece, I'd just chalk it up as "volunteer work."
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your comments. You're confirming what I suspect.
So, I'm not going to do it. I don't need a portfolio piece.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Just stay off Craigslist. It is honestly nothing but a waste of your time. Everybody there wants something for nothing...Don't be naive and get suckered in! And I am speaking from experience, unfortunately...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Classifieds such as Craigslist always has people working an angle to rip others off. I am glad you came to wc to see what other artists think. I do.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

Hails from United States

Thanks Jimmie.

Just a note, I see that though they did not delete the ad....they also didn't repost it. I guess someone must have fallen for it.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Be very cautious of Graigs List. Whether you are looking for work or thinking of purchasing something, always contact the individual posting the ad. If you can’t get a straight (typical from someone is planning on scamming you) answer, just walk away. I had experiences with sellers and let me tell you the more questions you ask the easier to spot a crook. Graig’s List also has a rating option that can rate a seller on good bad or scammer. Don’t be afraid to use it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

I've never even dealt with scammers on there just flaky people that love the *idea* of having some artwork done, but never actually follow through. I even did an entire drawing for a guy which took me a really long time and he never came to pick it up and pay me It was a good lesson learning I guess.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

There are people who feel that they are doing the artist a "favor" by asking them to do an art project, even for free. They honestly feel that "I'll give you promotion" is a good enough deal, and (again) that they are the one doing a favor to you, and you should feel really fortunate and lucky if they choose you to work for them for no money.

Not kidding, there are a lot of people like this.

Run, run, run far away.

They don't feel like they're doing the software manufacturer a "favor" by using their software to make the ebook—no, they're expected to pay for that software. If there are any other fees or purchases they need to make in order to create this ebook, they will pay without complaint. But somehow, they don't want to pay the artist, and in fact feel like the artist should be sooooo grateful for the "opportunity."

Yeah, I've been approached more than a few times, if you couldn't guess. Fortunately for me, I am naturally lazy and not easily motivated unless there is money involved, not just "promotion."
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

The pic shows the Craig’s List rating system box for users to help weed out suspicious behavior. It is located in the top right hand corner when viewing the item or service. All you do is click one of the four items and the rating box will display “Thanks for flagging”.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast
Wyoming

Hails from Canada

I belong to a "Licencing art group". This is the FAQ page of one of the artists. Well worth a read by anyone contemplating doing work for others.

http://wendymartinillustration.com/w...n-illustrator/