WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#54106   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Newbie Glass Help and Coffee House

Morning. It's early and we're headed home today. I'm going back to sleep now. Talk to you later.
  #54107   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Eastern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Sueze...we have a Hobby Lobby very close to us...do you want me to look for black lobster claws and send them to you???? It wouldn't be a problem...I'm sure they have them.

Mallory...safe travels home....

well...cruizer had another bad night with allergies and ears...so we slept in a little....then Aurora called to tell me she went peepee on the potty... we will babysit Aurora nd Quinn later today for a just a few hours....

well that's about it for me...just chilling and enjoying my tea.....hugs
  #54108   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
New Yawk

The new HH is here, the new HH is here! I feel like Steve Martin in the Jerk *grin* I am amazed how quickly it arrived; I ordered it Friday evening, and it arrived this afternoon. Ok, quick question before I go break it in- IS there a break in period for a HH torch? My first was a gift from Maggie, so it was torching before I got my hot lil hands on it.
  #54109   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Eastern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I don't remember "breaking" mine in...just fired it up and away I went....anyone else???????? But I'm glad you got yours already. Quick is good!
  #54110   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Enthusiast
Stockton, CA

Hails from United States

I didn't break mine in either. It was such a great step up from that stupid fireworks torch. I just remember being happy, happy, happy.

#54111   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
massachusetts

Hails from United States

I had the same experience with the HH.. A wonderful torch!

Just Me. Diane :
D
  #54112   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 AM
massachusetts

Hails from United States

tonight i'll post the necklace... need to try to shrink the picture... have a great day everyone.

Just Me. Diane :
D
  #54113   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Nor Cal

Hails from United States

Hey gang! Happy May! It's a beautiful day and I am going to enjoy it as we have rain forecasted for Thursday.

Made a few beads this morning as my the 100 Seashells of Summer started flying out of the shop as I was listing them last night. Have a post office run and then I need to work on my term paper.

I don't remember a breaking in period on my hothead, but since I was using those little MAPP bottles and they froze up so quickly, I had a spare hh hooked up to a spare bottle so I could make a switch mid-bead. Each hh worked just a bit differently.
  #54114   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Nor Cal

Hails from United States

Hope the quiet here means you are all good busy. Happy Humpday!
  #54115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hello! Hope all is well with you and yours! I still ache from all the stair climbing at Nick's new condo! OUCH! Time for lunch. Bbl.
  #54116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Immortalized
Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Alli when my HH arrived I hooked it up and away I went, when Mapp was no longer available in the bottles I switched BBQ tank with propane. The reason I switched to a duel fuel torch was the speed in melting glass. I bought a Chilli Pepper bead kiln (cheapest on on the market)still have it and love it.
Happy torching!

May 1 was great went shopping at the Bay, last day of Bay Days 40% off of just about everything and it was seniors day so we got another 15% off woohoo! Today I'm cleaning out all the clothes I haven't worn in the last year also cookbooks and paperbacks. I'm tired already and it's only lunch time.

Mallory I know how you feel GF but it must feel good to get Nick settled.

Diane I'm off to check S&T to see if it's there yet
  #54117   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Immortalized
Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Gorgeous beads and necklace Diane!!

Karen I forgot to thank you for the offer, I took the chain with me yesterday and think I found some that will work.
  #54118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Hails from United States
New kid looking for help :3

Hey guys and gals,
I've been interested in glass art (especially lampwork beads and blown glass) for a few years now, but have no idea where to start. Where/who is a good place to gather materials and supplies? What are some good books and wesites to read and visit, so I can learn more? I live on the East Coast of the US, specifically Delaware, if anyone knows of things local to my area.

Thanks!
  #54119   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
massachusetts

Hails from United States

HI SpikeHolley

I have a list of books I posted here that helped me in the beginning and they still are there for reference. I KNow there are alot more out there.. My favorite is passing the flame by corina.. loads of pictures and step by step directions and hints.. all of these books describe tools and safety issues also..

I buy alot of my supplies at arrowsprings which is located in california but they are really good with their mail order business.. others may have thier favorite shopping spots.. but this has worked for me.. since they have SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM. . lol
Hope this helps.. just my two cents worth.. once you start it is addictive!

Welcome to wetcanvas! and ask away anything.. you need to know. there is always someone here who has an answer or can point you in the right direction.

"Making Glass Beads" by Cindy Jenkins

"Beads of Glass" by Cindy Jenkins

"Passing the Fame" by Corina Tettinger

"The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking" by Kimberley Adams

Just Me. Diane :
D
  #54120   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
New Yawk

howdy campers

Took everyone's advice and just went to town with the new HH. It is definitely not the old HH LOL I have a bit of a learning curve to deal with, the flame isn't as bushy and its hotter, but its a hundred times better than the Fireworks torch. I realised there must be something wrong with the Firework torch, as no matter what I did, the beads came out dirty, divitrified or just burnt. Even if I held the glass so far from the flame it took IVORY forever to melt, the beads were just icky.

Beautiful necklace Diane; wish I had your color sense. I'd never be able look at a springlike green and blue and think, "Hey, that would look great with black!" and then have it actually look that great. My brain unfortunately doesn't work that way.

Welcome SpikeHolley! I don't have a lot of advice as I'm pretty much a newbie myself, but want to say the folks here are awesome. Don't be afraid to ask anything; someone here has your answer. On another note, I've been ordering mostly from Frantz Art Glass and ArrowSprings, and lampworketc.com also has lots of info & tutorials on their forum as well. Be warned, lampwork is highly addictive *grin* HTH!