WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Atlanta

WIP - "Sunflower Field

Hi all. Below is something I am working on. I am attaching the WIP and a reference photo I am using. This is basically just a base layer stage. I havent done the sky yet (still just underpainting there). Any comments or suggestions about it are appreciated. My underpainting had an ominous feel to it and I kind of what to keep that aspect of it. I am afraid that when I start adding in the actual flowers its going to get cartoonish. I want to keep it loose but also want it to have some edge to it. Things to be added (tons of flowers) brown dots receeding in size, a house in the middle right hand side (probably falling down house). So details on the trees and bushes. Might add some bushes to the house as well. And I was thinking about placing a figure in the sunflowers about midway in. Probably just a dark shadow figure.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, GA Eastern Suburbs

Hails from United States
Re: WIP - "Sunflower Field

Can't wait to see the flowers. I love that hillside..great mixture of colors.

It's All In The Shadows!!!! Mickey W ...

You can see some of my work at:
http://community.how-to-draw-and-pai...rofile/MickeyW
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Atlanta

Thanks! The flowers will be fun to do. Going faster than I thought it would but I am sure the flowers will slow me down.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Atlanta

Here is my latest progress. Still have a ton of work to do. CLouds are taking shape but need work, sky is progressing. Midground of the field is basically done, but the foreground needs alot of work, probably going to be adding more flowers as they move toward the front and of course stems, leaves, etc. I am also thinking of adding some tuscan style trees near the house, a small fence on the hill, perhaps a figure or two on the road. I dont think I will ever finish this...
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

It is coming along nicely! Don't quit!

Last edited by SSB : 05-15-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: C & C not requested, sorry!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Looking good! What size is it?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Indiana

Hails from United States

I'm liking it. I wonder if you are planning to vary the directions that the flower "faces" are looking?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Atlanta

Its 30" x 48" . I am going to add some more flowers to the foreground and will be making them more varied. Originally I was thinking that they should all face where the sun is coming from but its a little distracting. I am also going to probably change the direction of some to break it up a bit. Question - with the house I wanted to add a road. But I think a big streak across the middle of the painting will be terrible. The Canvas is just so long I feel like I need to add some more to the other side of it to balance out the frame. Any suggestions or ideas? Also please feel free to give me some criticism, I am a newby and want to get better!!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway

Beautiful! But I'm biased, I took the sunflower as the symbol in the logo for my store. We have sunflowers everywhere!

If you look at your reference, there's a skinny path where you think there should be a road. It would look very good, I think.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Atlanta

PLEASE help! I make struggling with how to finish this. I feel like I need to add something like a person walking through the flowers on the left foreground. I also am thinking of adding some tuscan style trees near the house but struggling wtih correct placement. Also the road doesnt really look right to me. Needs some work. PLEASE give me your feedback on what you would do. the painting is 30" tall by 48" wide.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast
Seminole Country

Hails from United States

wow I love how the flowers fade back into the hill. Really cool! You could try photoshopping the person/trees to see if you like them or not. Maybe your top middle cloud is too bowl shaped? Just a thought, but I really like it!

www.blarkinart.blogspot.com