WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States
Red Rock Canyon 1

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Red Rock Canyon 1
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
There I was standing out in Red Rock Canyon, NV, trying to do a plein air and it rained on my parade possibly saving me from a failed wet on wet composition anyhow. I'd allowed the work to get too thick and muddy and with the rain, it was becoming wet on wet on wet.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
So this image show resurrection in the studio. Never give up!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
A Local Legend

Re: Red Rock Canyon 1

absolutely love the top part of the this painting where the mountain is transformed by the light.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Huntington Beach, California

Hails from United States

great under painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I love the unusual mix of colours in the rock, really love them! I also love the stream of sunlight through the uncertain weather you had there playing across the foreground. The only crit I have is the right side, I feel there is not enough clarity in what is happening there. However, as you said, it was raining and that would contribute to a somewhat blurred or misty image. I think you have a lovely, raw, no fuss attack to this work and I wish I had that ability. Well done, I love it. Cheers. Debs. =))
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Dana Design

You brought back some memories for me, Bob. I used to climb at Red Rock Canyon, NV, a beautiful place.

Somehow, I've lost the perspective here. Don't know if the greenery in front are trees or sagebrush. Most likely, sagebrush as there are few large trees there. And perhaps muting the red that cuts across the mtn would make it more cohesive as a 'monument'.

Love the palette you've used!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Immortalized
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Hi Bob, I really really like this...the colours are just fabulous!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I really like this painting. Your color choices are wonderful. I especially love how the pinks in the strong front mountain play against the light pinks in the soft mountain shape behind. I love that faded pink shape, it almost glows, and does wonders to keep me in the painting.

HOWEVER, I would not title thisRed Rock Canyon. I think the image looks much more fantasy land than real. It almost looks like an abstract set of giant teeth clamping together. The perspective is all off, and the odd sized shrubbery and bits of red in the foreground do not look like a possible real scene on earth. But the painting is great. Therefore I would rename it, so the individual viewers can accept this space and make their own interpretations of it.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

Allison's right and it's an interesting lesson as to how the title of a painting can be quite important. And note how Dana, an apparent former desert rat girl commented that my painting didn't look like the canyon as she recalls it. What happened was that the actual mountain was obscured in morning mist and then after I'd blocked in the scene a steady rain began and me with no easel umbrella. I fled. I figured to try to do something with the piece in the studio and as I had only a mist obscured photo for reference, I found myself increasingly painting an imagined scene. I was rather happy to do this as I figure one is being more artistic in creating an imagined scene than in carefully "transcribing" a scene to canvas. Clearly artists do both. So let's say I call it, "desert mist".
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Good call Bob! Desert mist...... I like that! It is a better title! Cheers Debs. =))
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I like the colours and out of focus / wet look you have got, but feel it needs a little more to finish it off.
I agree with your comment about the title - the title provides a starting point for interpreting the image.
Also agree with comment about transcribing and imagination - indeed is not the art in getting the balance right between these too? I find Colour, Composition, Design and Imagination useful considerations in my painting. Arnie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

love your ability to get good strong contrasts
however, i'm finding some of the blue verticals in the rocks to be a bit overwhelming

greyscale comparison ...

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek