WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States
Heavy-duty stretcher strips that are actually GOOD?

I've poked around in the archives a bit, but the threads I was finding were from 2007 and things have surely changed lately:

Can anyone recommend a brand of heavy-duty (at least 1-1/2" deep, up to 2-1/2" is ok as well) stretcher strip that, to be frank, doesn't suck? I have been getting Fredrix bars, but my last order was just incredibly disappointing - huge splits in the wood, basically a huge 'splinter' that, if removed, would have left a chunk missing on the bead edge of the stretcher. I forced wood glue into it and clamped it. Numerous other gouges and dents. Most of the corner miters are splintery. So rough overall that I feared for my fingers and wasn't willing to get anywhere near with a piece of canvas until I'd sanded every surface. Yet the product photos make each bar look like a smooth, polished work of art. *sigh*

TO BE FAIR, I will say that all of Fredrix's corner joints are accurate - they might be splintery, but they've all been accurate. All of the corners are nice and flat on the canvas side - this was literally the only reason I didn't send back my last set. I sent back a set of Masterpiece stretcher strips for uneven corners, which brings me to my last huge gripe...

Sending them back just isn't an option - the sizes I'm dealing with (36" x 48", 48" x 60") mean that my cost to return the bars is pretty painful - within spitting distance of what I paid for the bars, last time. I can't afford to provide quality control.

So. Anybody use a heavy-duty bar that they just absolutely love? I am all ears!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States
Re: Heavy-duty stretcher strips that are actually GOOD?

Yes, Commercial Art Supply has good quality stretcher strips. I've seen them in the Syracuse store, nice, much, MUCH nicer than the Fredrix's you've purchased.
Link here, more expensive than Dick Blick tho.

Last edited by libby2 : 04-29-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

AH, I didn't know that there was a heavyweight BEST bar! Dick Blick doesn't carry it - pity, that!

Well, I truly have zero problems paying more to get a better bar. I shoot myself in the foot in some ways; I love Fredrix Watercolor Canvas to paint on, and it works great, but it's rather thin and soft - it shows every little flaw in the stretcher bars.

Thank you for the recommendation!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

Richeson makes good products and is a family owned company. They also have a great line of easals.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Welcome. The regular bars are nice, might want to pick up a pair when you order just to see how they look.

I didn't actually check Blick's, just figured they carried them since they seem to carry just about everything else!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

So I ended up between a rock and a hard place - I had a list of things I needed, Dick Blick had all of them but the bars. I angsted, I wished for the millionth time that Jerry's didn't have such high order minimums, and ultimately I ordered Dick Blick's house-brand heavy duty bar rather than pay double shipping ordering from two places.

I feel well-rewarded for the faith as it turns out; the Dick Blick bars are.. actually very good! Wow. They look like the pictures. :lol The wood is smooth. It's lighter than the Fredrix bars - pine instead of fir? - which is fine. Very smooth all over. One bar has some chipping on the end that I'll touch up, just in case it was visible through the canvas. One bar had a *very* slight bow - not visible unless you're looking for it, e.g. holding the bar up to eye level and looking down it. Flush corners, and NO SPLINTERS - my hands rejoice!

I still want to try the Richeson bars, but for the moment I'm chuffed.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 PM

Thumbs up Re: Heavy-duty stretcher strips that are actually GOOD?

Raphael's has about 10 different sized stretcher bars and will do cut and joined frames or just send the bars unjoined. Their bars are all made from really nice quality US grown Basswood. help@raphaelsAP.com or call 800-881-5191 to get a catalogue of their profiles and Artist's Panels

Last edited by peterpiper : 06-17-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling error
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 PM

If you're looking for more high-end, maybe try this place http://www.midcoast.com/~twnbrook/We...Home_Page.html
I imagine they are significantly more expensive than Blick, so it might not be what you are looking for.

At some point I got tired of dealing with all the problems with stretchers and now I go to someone who makes them for me. Luckily it's a local company and I pay only a small amount for delivery.