WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States
School mural

This is the main section of a very long(140' long) mural. This section is about 14' high and is what you see as you enter the lobby. I have a long shot and some closer shots for detail. C&C welcomed, digital playing is fine too. This mural is at an elementary school mounted 10 to 12' up the wall it was painted with acrylic house paint and some artist acrylic(very little) on 100% polyester canvas which was pre-primed on two sides and then wall paper pasted to a rotunda wall using articulating lifts.

These pictures were taken in my shop before installation. Third girl in from left should have been dropped down about six inches for perspective reasons, too late now but have learn to look closer in future.

First five.

Second seven. The oriental boy in the orange top is approx. six foot tall.

First three close up.

Second three close up.

Last four close up.

Mural installed in school. Sorry for poor picture but you can get idea of size and what fun it was to hang on wall. Note where the brick walls come out into room there is a glass roof at about a thirty degree angle up the wall which made it impossible to stand on so we had to lay down or bend down to our feet and below to make a paper pattern and to paste mural to wall. the paper pattern was to figure bottom edge of mural. I painted two inches longer to trim when hanging. The logistics were pretty neat, Often giving me a headache figuring it all out.

It was interesting working with all the different skin tones.
Mike

Here are some other sections:

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: School mural

India,Italy and S.America part2 It's a small world
Hi
Here are three sections of "It's A Small World mural" I have some drawings and details shots.
My helper, Jim Cox known as 'Jimbo' was working with me on this project. Often helpers don't receive credit. When I was a young man I didn't. He was a big help and by explaining to him what I was up to along the way and answering his questions it helped clarify what I was doing to myself.

When you come into the rotunda and look to your left you see the India/Pakistan section then Italy.

Here is the drawing used for projection. I adjusted the size of parts of it as I was laying it out.

Here is a progress shot in my shop. Please note the high tech scaffolding and pristine nature of my work space LOL. Scaffolding is twenty foot long with a one foot wide platform and a sixteen inch stand off, it puts you really close to the surface.

Here is this section in my shop. The India/Pakistan area has such a rich and diverse culture as do many of the areas in this mural. It was difficult to chose what to include and what to leave out. I see those two countries as an area with many things in common. I also realize they find themselves at odds with each other. Our hope is they will come to see each other as brothers and sisters. Jimbo painted most of the buildings with a few touch ups from me.

Here is the right side. The musician resource was an thin elderly gentleman that I gave a boy's head and hands. The girl had about four or five reference photos and is my composite of them. I didn't know I could do that until I tried. I found myself doing it a number of times during this mural painting.

Here is Italy, South America and France on the wall.

Here is Italy. First the drawing then the mural

The soccer player reference was a girl, not in soccer attire or singing. I had a time developing a singing face, I could not find a reference in that position. Jimbo flashed in the colors on the bus and lettered it. He got lost at this scale but it's just paint and I fixed it later. He became more comfortable as we went a long. It is important to realize that the viewer will be at something of a distance and the work needs to pull together at that distance. I let the viewers eyes bring the piece together.

South America. Drawing and mural.

I finished painting this section when I realized the boy I had borrow from his donkey to put on this Llama was lit from the wrong side so I when back in and redid his face making up the correct lighting (I hope). Fun, fun ,fun! Jimbo painted the tower and started the Llamas.

Closeup of South American kids. I added ears to this Llama.

Italy and South America together.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

I thought you may enjoy seeing these process pics.

This is Jimbo he is laying out a level line at the bottom of the fixtures. We measured down about 6-7' to establish a second line which we used to make a paper pattern.

Here we are working on the pattern. Note how I have to work so low out of the basket to draw a pencil line I had to reach down below the basket. Not so bad? It took days to make the pattern.

Looking thru the sky light at the mural it's the reason for the articulated lifts.

This shows Jimbo laying out paper pattern over the hall way you can see the skylight also and it shape.

Here I am up in the lift you can drive it from up there the basket moves in many direction and reach up and over things lots of fun to run.

End of day one of hanging the mural just over half done. My daughter Lauren, buddy Robert, friend and assistant Jimbo, and finally me.We used two lifts to hang mural.
Bye
Mike
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

Mike....this is fantastic work....I really appreciate how detailed you are with the process of working the mural into a very awkward space...and your figures are full of life and vitality....very nicely done, and tell Jimbo that I wish I had someone like him around to help with mural work. You definitely rate a 10 in my book, and I am sure that the school is very proud of this beautiful, LARGE and colorful mural!

Sherry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

The paintings are wonderful, but I have to admit I LOVE your sketches! I am a huge fan of quick sketch work, so thank you for showing those.

I'm so glad there are people like you, willing to take on such a logistical nightmare... you have my admiration and respect

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Austria, Tyrol

Hails from Austria

Great big work! Incredible!
Brigitte
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 AM

Beautiful Mural!!! I love the uplifting, positive quality of smiling faces and happy colors. What an incredible project - masterfully done. Thank you for sharing.

Carmella
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty busy but will try to visit and contribute when I can.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Louisville, Kentucky

This is really cool! Is it anywhere near Louisville? I'd enjoy seeing it in person sometime.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Mark this mural is in
Southern Elementary School
1200 Fairfax Way
Georgetown, KY 40324
bryan.blankenship@scott.kyschools.us
Principal: Bryan Blankenship
Main Office 502-863-0772
You may want to call ahead. I also painted a mural at Ann Mason Elementary School in Georgetown on curved block wall.
In Lexington at Al's bar corner of 6th& N.Limestone, amusical history mural and on Southland drive another musical mural you can see this on my website to preview. The N. limestone mural had the window piece come off I will be fixing it this summer.
Thanks for your interest.
Mike
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM

Wow! Congrats!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Johns, Florida (north of St. Augustine)

Hails from United States

Haven't been here in a while but this caught my eye immediately. I don't know what to say..wow seems so inadequate. until I got down the list of photos I didn't understand about the glass-what a job. gorgeous. thanks for so many photos and details.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

WOW!!! Very impressive!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Wow, very amazing!

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.