WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States
WIP: Jewel in the Mirror

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP: Jewel in the Mirror
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 6x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is just the beginning...I'm trying to finish up the background before I get into the details.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I"m not sure how to get the mirror to look reflective in acrylic, as I've not been using Acrylics but a month or so. Any suggestions are most welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Salem Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: WIP: Jewel in the Mirror

The darker blue wall on the side would be reflected as well as the counter by her elbow. Decide what your background is and put it in out of focus a bit. After this, take a lighter shade of blue on a dry brush and draw a wide line up from her elbow.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I am no expert, especially with mirrors, but I love the subject and the title, and I think it will be an adorable painting if you can pull it off! The hair and the dress are already looking gorgeous! =)) Cheers and keep working on it. Debs.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

Thank you for your tips. I am hoping I can pull it off. This is my granddaughter who is now 11. It is my favorite picture of her when she was young. I've done reflections in watercolor on curved objects. I'm thinking they are easier than a mirrror.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

Mirrors are really tough. Here is my modified version. Is there something else I should enhance on or am I done. My granddaughter tells me to stop. Course that's because she wants it. Its of her. LOL

Lorianne
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I think although her right hand is in the distance, it is a bit claw-like, and the fingers need to be a bit less pointy. I'm not sure that the reflection of her face is quite in the right line, i could be wrong? i would add some more subtle tonal changes to her left arm, rather than the outline, but it depends what you want in the painting, to be realistic or to give a general impression. I think it is delightful as it is, but if it were mine, I would do more work on it. I love the dress, but again, if it were mine I would add more variation in tone to suggest the fabric and folds. Having said that, if you are happy with it, and I can understand why your granddaughter is impatient, you have done a fine job and certainly captured the innocence of a very pretty and curious little treasure. =)) I love it. Debs.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Salem Oregon

Hails from United States

I agree with everything Debzy had to say. Be watchful of your shading. Otherwise, very cute. Tough subject, mirrors.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

Thank you Debzy and Ohanarts. I know it needs more depth. I am more of any illustrator than a painter...but I'm getting more painterly with time. This piece is a 8x10 and I need a different fine brush. I think the one I have is more like a rigor brush. I need to get something a little stiffer for that claw looking hand. I'm really new to acrylics and don't have all the tools yet. I appreciate your C&C.
Lorianne
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

You are welcome and I hope I didn't offend you by saying claw-like? I didn't mean any offence? And yes, you would be a very good illustrator I can see that in your work. I think story books etc would be perfect for your style. However, I do like your work for a painting too, and yes sometimes brushes can make all the difference. I only recently tried acrylics for the first time myself and they do take some getting used to. They always dry darker than you think they will and can leave a painting looking bit flat. having said that, at least they can be worked over and over to lighten them up and make any changes you wish and quite easily! good luck, you have a lovely approach and style. Cheers. Debs. =))
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

No offense taken at all. I'm on here for honesty. If I didn't want honesty, I'd ask my family. I noticed I had created the claw look when I tried to put some grey between the fingers to get rid of the club hand I had earlier.

Reason for my style is because I worked as an illustrator for 16 years...mostly with markers, pen and ink, and then the computer. I really want to learn to be more painterly...so I'm giving a lot of different mediums a try to see where my niche' might be. I like watercolors because it makes me be looser, but it also stresses me a little because my training and habits are to be precise and tight. I'm not to worried about it though...I have the rest of my life to learn and play.

Lorianne
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM

wow cool subject.
Very norman rockwell like image.

I would suggest lowering the intensity of the background blue, because intense colors come forward. Make it much more gray (use orange to mix with the blue) and a lot darker. Then mirror that in the mirror behind and around the girl.

You are a bit ambiguous with your source of light, so a bit stronger highlights and shadows would be good.

Keep up the good work. Off to a great start.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

I am still struggling with this one. I don't know why. The wall and counter are actually white. Here is the original photo:

Now here is my next rendition:

Any C&C are most welcome.

Lori Anne
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

OMG...now that I seen them like this on the screen above and below each other...I can see a ton of things to change.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States

Just keep looking at that photo and see how you lose so much because you are too timid with your colors. Look at how the darker image in the mirror contrasts the reflected light on the cheek and forhead separating them. If you want those beautiful shiny highlights in her hair, you have to make the surrounding areas darker. Burnt umber and yellow ocre will help in getting you there and don't be afraid of the burnt umber. Check those skin tones and see the purples in the shadows. Maybe a little chromium green mixed into the purple to sudue it somewhat. Note that right hand and how it is in shadow. That helps to pop her blond hair. In your reflection, you made the pupil of her eye too large. Check it out. Almost everything that I have said here has to do with values. Without the variety of values, we end up with a flat and dull painting. Work on it. I'm sure you can do it and if you spoil this one, try another.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM
NE IL

Hails from United States

Hey, ladickerman, you can be precise and tight in watercolour. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I guess there's a couple of memos from watercolour that I missed, especially the "Watercolour must be loose," one, LOL! You have a nice painting going on! Phil gave you some excellent advice on how to make this painting even stronger.