WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Hails from United States
“Paint by Numbers”

This painting has been in the works for a while and I am hoping to finish it. I would sincerely appreciated C & C’s.
I am thinking the background is to loud and was wondering if greying it out by putting a glaze of blue would calm it down. Is the bottom half of the painting with the moon and sky making the painting look too busy? The top left hand side is where the “paint by numbers “– number goes. I have six paints at the bottom showing – So I was going to put a #7 there.
The painting has been sitting for a while and is dry. I was going to put a nice coating of oil (Bill’s Posted Receipt) before I start again.
Thank you so much for your input.

Happy Painting!
Joy

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Re: “Paint by Numbers”

tHIS iS a cool theme ... I like it ALOT , do what feels right , but yes imo that background is not doing that rose any justice atm .... the Hand is well very well handled (no pun intended)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin art
... background is not doing that rose any justice a

Thank you Sandra for the C & C. I was debating weather I should grey out the background or just paint the background over with a soft solid color. Do you have any suggestions on a possible background?

Thanks again!

Happy Painting
Joy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Long Island NY

Hails from United States

I really like this but I don't know if I would glaze it blue. You have some blue/grey in the base, violet/purple in the vase and green and red in the rose. I was thinking a slightly warmer brown to tone it down, but then it may not pop and become too subdued and lose the impact of the red in the rose. See what others say. I like it the way it is though. Nice work.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

I think Joy a solid tone of Blue color would hold better or maybe even a two toned effect along these Lines, but you really dont want something that is going to compete with this as clearly the rose and Vase are the center piece of this ...I like that blue you have on the Vase that followed up through to a darker tone surrounding the flower would look pretty cool I think , but this is just my thoughts ... in the end we must row our own boats must 't we
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks Newb,
I was hoping that by applying the blue glaze it would gray the orange out…. Although I am still learning so I am not sure this will work…. But then I was think of just putting a soft solid-ish color instead.

Thanks again Sandra,
That sounds like a good idea. Will have to try it out… see what happens ( I think with this picture I have been rowing with only one oar. )

I was also thinking the bottom with the moon and clouds make the picture too busy and would be better if I made the table a solid color instead. Would appreciate any thoughts on this as well.

Thanks again
Happy painting
Joy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Hails from United States

Here is an update with the changes. I have more work I want to do on it...

Thanks for the C & C's!!!!

Happy Painting
Joy
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

The update is so much better than the previous version, the wood and the flower seemed to be competing for attention. The flower stands out so well now, and is beautifully painted. Keep it up, looking forward to the finished product.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks Alan,
I was going to add more highlights to the grey areas and detail out the flower a little more - particularly in the center. I would like more contrast in paintings. I had gotten stuck on this one and it will be nice to finally have it finished.

Thanks again.

Happy Painting.
Joy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Hails from United States

Think I am finished... unless some one sees something that needs adjusting.

Not that it really matters as this one will be hanging in my room.

Thanks for the C&C's.

Thanks again for your help!

Happy Painting.

Joy