WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM
SouthWest France

Hails from France
Waterfalls

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Waterfalls
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 50X60 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I saw these waterfalls in Marocco where I spent my holidays. I thought it would be easy in pastels... hmm, no it wasn't. I'm not happy with the result. Comments, advice, suggestions are really welcome

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments, advice, suggestions are really welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Waterfalls

Oh go to the Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis and scroll down to the Essentials of Painting Waterfalls threads, tons of info and critiques - many w/ pastels.
link here-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/foru...ysprune=&f=522
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM
SouthWest France

Hails from France

Thank you TJ84. I'm going to clic
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Much credit to you for attempting it, and your soft colour choices are very nice. I am not brave enough yet to attempt one, but having seen quite a few waterfalls in this forum lately has inspired me to have a go soon! I tried one in pastels from my imagination about a year ago and wasn't too happy with it, may post it one day for feedback. Keep working at it and yes there are some great tutorials on waterfalls etc on youtube also. Good luck and don't be disheartened, there is a charm about your painting and a quite abstract appeal. I really like the "worms eye view" very appealing! =)) Cheers. Debs.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 AM
SouthWest France

Hails from France

thank you Deb,
difficult and good exercice these waterfalls. I'm looking for Johannes's vidéo on waterfalls, I can't find it nor in NorthlightShop, if anyone can help me to get it....

I'll put the phot in the library reference for those who want to have a try

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Israel

Hails from Israel

http://improvemypaintings.com/RecordedClasses.html scroll to near the bottom---it's a great class!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I like your colors and composition. I would soften the edges, including at the top of the mountains.
http://arlene-babad.fineartamerica.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Australia.

Hails from Australia

I think your painting is very soft and pleasing to the eye. The two waterfalls on the left is ending a bit too suddenly, but otherwise I love it.

KD.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

I've always thought that there are two levels of art criticism. The first is when the critic has access to the scene (photo or real life) and can therefore make comments about how well or badly the artist has followed the scene. This is tricky as the critic may not know if the artist is attempting to paint the scene quite faithfully or is artistically departing from it but the availability of the scene to the critic never the less "anchors" the critique. A purer level is when the critic has no access to the scene and has to judge the work "independently". This is the most common, but as you've posted the scene, I can talk about faithfullness to it as part of my critique.
I'll begin by noting the comments that waterfalls are difficult to paint. Well...compared to what? I don't think the presence of a waterfall in a nature scene renders the painter's job more difficult than a landscape with no water. I say this to suggest that no one should be hesitant to take a crack at a waterfall. Observe the form and hues and paint it. What's hard is full figure subjects as any small mistake in drafting will be obvious to the viewer as everyone knows what a human looks like. Drafting mistakes in a waterfall can still look like a waterfall.
Looking at your painting and at the scene, you've chosen to substantially alter the form and composition of the falling water. Was this deliberate? No problem if it was. If you were trying to faithfully follow the form of the falling water, you missed it by a lot and need to focus on observation to get your drafting right. The best guide for this is the famous book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." But getting back to the water, your depiction of the water looks rather artificial whether you're trying to follow the scene or not. The near white hues are correct but you've made a common mistake of "drawing" the water with a lot of parallel lines which set up repeating patterns. Big lesson here: alway randomize forms in a nature painting. Patterns always wreck nature paintings even when they're in the scene. We're somehow driven to repeat strokes of the brush or pastel stick. Resist this and change it when you find yourself doing it.
Moving to the cliff wall, the scene has it a fairly uniform warm light brown. You've chosen to represent it with clumps of colorfull foliage. This must have been deliberate but in so doing, you set yourself quite a problem as you have no scene reference to know what folliage on a cliff would look like. I think, none the less, that you've done a pretty good job with the foliage but I argue that the plainer cliff wall would look better. Why? Because, in its "plainess" it would shift attention to the waterfall itself and that should be the "center of interest" in the painting. Once you identify the center of interest in a composition, you want to allow the rest of the painting to play only a supporting role.
Next you've come up with a sharply curved top of the cliff form from which the water falls. This must have been deliberate and I wonder why you did it. It's nothing like the scene and it's tough for me to imagine encountering a shape like that in nature so I suggest you would be better off to follow the scene in that element. I do like the brave little tree you've added.
Last point: always think about the light. The area of the cliff behind the water is in shadow. That's present in the scene but not in your painting so you end up with a feeling of flatness.
Keep painting and posting! You'll get better and it's a wonder journey.e

Last edited by tgsloth : 04-29-2012 at 07:15 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 AM
SouthWest France

Hails from France

thank you all for your coms.
Tgs, I see what you mean, As I have many photos, I think it wasn't exacly this photo I followed. I'll try this scene again after watching Johannes' Waterfalls, if I manage to buy it. I can't find it anywhere, and the links I got don't work
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
NY

Hails from United States

A lot of good suggestions here, so I won't repeat. I will add one that's helped me with waterfalls. There is a horizontal element to a water fall when painted, like sheets of water falling. You won't "see" it in photos necessarily, but it works in painting/drawing. I've incorprated that into some sketches and found it helps relay the message of water falling very well.

As far as what you have here, it's a good try at a tough scene. On the water itself try not to paint every drop/drip of water but give it's impression. And put color in your water, be stingy with the whitest of white. Blues, greens, and yellow ochre with the white will give the shadows/underlying darks as they should be. I would try to paint the ref photo exactly as is and not improvise, BUT be freer with the water. Take note where the water is behind or in front of objects.

I would try this again from scratch, and try some sketches for perspective/position.

Nice try, just a bit more and you'll have a winner.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
SouthWest France

Hails from France

thanks Tony, I think I'll go over it again.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States

You have received many good comments here on your painting. I would like to make one suggestion to add to the other comments. Before you paint in the water, paint what is behind it first and then add the falling water and allow some of the wall behind to show through. I think that it is always a good idea to copy natures way when possible.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/