WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast
Chennai, India

Hails from India
Re: Pen & Ink Portrait Lessons

Your work is amazing!!! There is so much of character and expression in each of your portraits. And, I admire the way you are able to express the age of the subjects.
Thank you for sharing.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Sherry, this is GREAT stuff and super tips. I love sketching people on my morning bus commute and trying to get a likeness in a few moments with just a few strokes. I spend a few seconds looking really really closely for whatever it is about that face that makes me want to draw it. What's the unique feature, shape, contour, relationship, or detail that makes that face unique. Then I try to get it down. Not easy! Not easy at all! Practice practice practice is the whole thing.

Thank you for your tips and your examples. Very inspiring! Very useful!

Jan
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast
Carthage, MO

Hails from United States

To both Blah and Jan: Thank you, first of all, for the high-fives! One thing that I have strived for is to capture the personality of the sitter, in the shortest amount of time and still produce a portrait that they are happy with. It is really an odd thing that I have some ability to "sense" out the person's basic personality, even as I direct them to sit in the chair to pose for me. Jan: You are certainly dedicated in achieving that goal, and I am sure that you are already well on your way to finding that "spark" that makes the difference between a good or excellent portrait. I would certainly invite you or anyone else to post examples of your work here on this thread, or start posting on your own. There are many accomplished portrait artists on the pen & ink forum, and I always enjoy seeing other people's technique and skill level. I'm not saying that I would possess any more ability then anyone else. I am just clarifying to everyone that I always consider myself a student throughout life, and will always learn something new with each individual so inclined to share their work here. We can inspire each other!

Sherry
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Pettey
. . . It is really an odd thing that I have some ability to "sense" out the person's basic personality, even as I direct them to sit in the chair to pose for me.
This is a really handy skill. It's a skill that I persist in believing is not magical or "god-given" but is obtainable/trainable with practice practice practice. Observing and concentrating and observing again.

Quote:
Jan: You are certainly dedicated in achieving that goal, and I am sure that you are already well on your way to finding that "spark" that makes the difference between a good or excellent portrait.
No, I'd not use the term "excellent", but I am enjoying the practice.

Quote:
I would certainly invite you or anyone else to post examples of your work here on this thread, . . .
Sure, I'll do that. See below. Sketched very quickly in the audience, in the few minutes just prior to a lecture at the Smithsonian. The "sense" of the man on the left was he was kind of not wanting to be there and but was resigned to it. (Loved his crepe-paper neck.) The "sense" of the guy on the right was that he couldn't wait for the event to start, so he could tut-tut the lecturer's conclusions. (Liked the determined proud ramrod of a neck.) I see those stories (that I made up) in each of these heads. So I like them.

Jan

+++++++++++++++++++

2-page spread in the "Kraft" notebook, inside the Midori Traveler, about 8" x 8" overall, pen, ink, gouache after the fact