WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM

4 studies

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 3 studies
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x30cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are 4 studies. They were made for the awesome April challenge in the landscape forum (you can see the ref photo here):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/i...ossing_025.jpg

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything you guys would like to comment? Suggestions on how to develop skills? Anything? :)

Last edited by frujin : 04-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: 4 studies

ooo
liking these very much!

the first (deliciously moody with an edge of mystery) and second (cheery contrasted abstracty fun) one's are my favorites

the third a close second - looks a bit unfinished but the concept is fabulous.
and the last, well, i'm not a van gogh fan so that one brings up the rear.

only pick for me is that i would have (in the first image) angled the reflection more straight or even tilted a bit to the left vs the right.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks LA. Completely agree!

P.S. Sooo sad for the "red reflection"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States

I like them all, but that last one....Are you really ready to chop off an ear? I like the first one but that shadow in the water on the left should be subdued and made to look like a reflection on the water. If you don't do that, it spoils the perspective and makes the river look too narrow at the front. I think that you have used your colors very nicely in the middle two. Nice work.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by frujin

P.S. Sooo sad for the "red reflection"

it's still there, just subdued a bit
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Hi! I think these are wonderful studies and a great variety of styles! I agree with La, the reflection on the first is in the wrong direction, it should exactly mirror the slant of the trees in the opposite direction. This would make a major difference! I actually really like the last one, though I'm not a big fan of Van Gough either,but he is one of the great masters and I think you did a great job! Nice work on all paintings! Cheers Debs =))
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

How very interesting! I love the first. Second one too, and agree the 3rd looks unfinished somehow but very well done.

You do very well for someone who has just started learning. I don't like the last one so much but the other three, I would say you are already an artist! Able to capture mood and imagination. (re your noob thread)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM

The first is my favorite. I think that the space feels much more open, like I could park my canoe and walk over to the tree. The reflection doesn't bother me.

The second one is interesting two. I like how you clearly delineated the sections of the subject. Also, it's nice to see how you simplified the shapes of the trees, for example, instead of trying to paint every single leaf. You just sort of said, "here is where the light falls, and this part is in shadow".

Maybe a unified 1 and 2 would be cool? I dunno, good work!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

P.S. I think some indication of clouds/sky in the 3rd would make it look completed.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I think it is great you took a rather boring photo and made it 4 completely different images. It's refreshing to see. The first is my favorite, except the water reflections are off. 2nd is ok. 3rd is eh - good idea but needs more umph. And you just can not do the 4th - I mean you can for yourself, for your own study and enjoyment, but not for sale. It is just too cliche. It is really well done. But Van Gogh is just so unique that any copy of it is bound to look cheesy by default - even though your skills are very good. Meaning - this remark is not personal to you or your painting. I am glad you shared them all with us.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM
A Local Legend

love these
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM

These are just darling. Much well deserved applause.

I will inject a few comments here.

First, leave your black paint at home. You can mix much more interesting colors using complimentary colors, and other rules of color theory.

Second, if you use a color in the foreground, and the same color in the middle ground and the same color again in the background, your work will appear flat. Colors in nature LIGHTEN as they go back. They get grayer, and they get more blue. You used your black this way more than once, and it flattens the depth of your image. The linear perspective in your drawing is making up for it, but you can get much more depth by lightening as you go back in space. And dark value colors are the worst for this when put in the background...you want LIGHT colors in the background. (unless your background is DARK, in which case all the rules are then backwards and your light colors come FORWARD).

Third. When you outline shapes, it has a tendency to flatten the form. Hence your flat tree foliage in your third painting.

Okay the fourth painting is just darn cool. However, the point of impressionist painting is to put colors side by side on the canvas and the eye mixes them when it sees them from far away. So, try the fourth painting again, but try to get those rich dark colors without using black from the tube.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback, and thanks Allan for the great advices!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM
A Local Legend
Hill Country, Texas, y'all

Hails from United States

While this series has attracted some thoughtful crits, my view is to be awed by the three wonderful reinterpretations of the reference. These studies show originality in spades and crits such as the drafting of reflections, atmospheric perspective etc can be valid but are somewhat irrelevant since we're talking about studies. Now, ahem, I did say three wonderful reinterpretations. A rather lifeless disinternment of Vincent does not belong in the line up.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Uhmm, Tgsloth, it was great experience for me to try this Vincent thing. I am very glad that you said it in a way you did and I dare to say - more feedback like that is needed here. I am feeling it the same way - it IS lifeless and lacks the magic Vincent works have. I am noob that actually can't paint but is overwhelmed with existencial questions. I need to find a way to expess the storm of feelings that torture me all the time - but so far - failing

I wont give up, because it will kill me if I fail to find that way. I realize this post sounds egocentric (and it actually is), but maybe many of us here fight our own deamons. I want to talk, but I hardly can do that in my "real life". The pressure for perfection and the elitism that surrounds me is forbidding. May be I am like 42 years too late for all of this, but hey - apparently not too late. And a good kick in the bottom means much more to me than a thousand polite OK's.