WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom
Starcross Ferry WIP

Hi! It's been typical spring weather here, so during the showers (downpours!) I've started a new collage. Here's the first stage, and the photo I took before I got on the ferry. It runs from Starcross village to Exmouth in Devonshire, UK where I took a holiday last year.

Only the first stages! I'm following a book entitled Collage, Colour and Texture in Painting by Mike Bernard and Robin Capon.... sort of!

Forgot to add: It's on boxed cotton primed canvas, 16x24" portrait orientation, using brusho, tissue paper, cardboard, etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 04-19-2012 at 11:46 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Starcross Ferry WIP

This is exciting, JayJay, and I can't wait to see what is next! Will you incorporate any watermedia
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
This is exciting, JayJay, and I can't wait to see what is next! Will you incorporate any watermedia

Oh yes!! I'm just waiting for the paper and paste to dry, then away with the brusho and acrylic I go! That's the EEEK bit, you never know what you're going to end up with... I'm starting at the top and working my way down, hoping the Brusho will flow around the sticky-up bits! LOL!

Here's an article I found - a 'how-to' by Mike Bernard, I was so impressed I bought the book! It is printable!
http://www.painters-online.co.uk/cat...m.asp?item=240

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 04-19-2012 at 01:14 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member

Stage 2!
I have done a bit more on it, not yet started in with the glazes and so on, but I tightened up the collage as I needed a more defined angle in the foreground, also another 'building' on the left to balance the right hand side. Also put some white acrylic where I want the light to shine through on with a roller. Still in the undercoat stages!

I'm not going to get a lot of time this week to do any further work, as I'm going on a holiday over the weekend and have to get everything ready for that... hoping to do a bit more later on today though!

Here's the pic, so you can see what I've done with the acrylic. This will (hopefully!) shine through when I put glazes of brusho on top, giving a direction of light.
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Still coming together, JayJay! Enjoy your hols!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Quebec

Hails from Canada

Can't wait to see mre progress, i'm sure it is gonna be amazing!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Kay and Betty! I doubt I'll get to do more until I return next week - only away Thurs-Sunday!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

Well as I cancelled the trip away because of the foul weather, I decided to do a bit more on the collage... only to find (and why didn't I stop to think of this beforehand???) that the white acrylic 'highlights' would not be painted over with brusho, which is waterbased. LOL... I did it three times before I cottoned on!

Here is a few more WIps. THe first - when I used brusho to glaze in sky and water - and 'lost' the boat! Second, trying to green up the water so that the boat would show. The acrylic bits have gone extremely dull at this point.

So today, I'm covering the sea/acrylic white highlights with more tissue paper so that I can start again on that bit!

Have to note, it's using brusho that is the problem, it won't mix with acrylic paint. The author of that book I mentioned uses acrylic inks. It works the other way around, though, using acrylic on top of brusho, which I had intended to do for the final highlights and detailing.
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Well, how peculiar! I pasted some more tissue paper over the top of the sea and around the boat, intending to brusho some green there. I had already put some green brusho on, but it just seemed to disappear without trace. The moment I pasted some plain white tissue paper on, the green came through! It was there underneath, although it didn't show! So I'm getting somewhere. It looks a bit messy at the moment, but hopefully I can pull it together. Still on the underpainting at present!

ps: I've tiddled about with the photo a bit to try and represent the true colors, it's slightly brighter than it actually is, but near enough.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 04-29-2012 at 06:22 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 AM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

What an amazing progression!! I love WIPs!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Brenda! A bit too green now! LOL! MOre tissue paper I think, it seems to be the only way to tone down Brusho! I'm going to run a bit more turquoise brusho into the sky area, and tissue over the back of the sea behind the boat, and put a bit of the sky color in there as well. I'm going to leave the water in front of the boat as it is, it's giving a good impression of the shading present in the photo.
Ammended pic, better representation of the real thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 04-30-2012 at 07:20 AM.