WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Does anyone add Damar Varnish to their medium?

yeah if you can't use turp then forget damar except in those mussini paints.
i gotta be in a vented place and then I place my stuff to clean up and painting to dry completely out of my living space.
If I want some gloss with no solvent then I use low odor spirits with stand oil or walnut oil mixed with stand oil, 2 parts of them to 1 part stand oil for each.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Dana Design

Trond, thanks but I have to stay with OMS as I've learned over the years.

Ron, thanks for the advice. Just can't ue turps.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
i gotta be in a vented place and then I place my stuff to clean up and painting to dry completely out of my living space.
I am lucky, it just doesn't bother me...almost everything else does. Maybe it bothers me and I just haven't realized it yet.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 04-29-2012 at 07:41 PM.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

That makes sense Dana.

The reason why I keep harping on about this is that I think oils would seem less problematic to many if more people knew that they don't have to use any solvents. It could also save many people lots of headache, literally ! The paint will definitely not behave the same way as with OMS, but I no longer want it to behave that way. It's a matter of habit I suppose. Anyway, the fact that my painting area now only smells of linseed, walnut, and poppy oil has made my wife drop all objections to my hobby, and it's more enjoyable to me too.

How about you Becca? Have you tried dropping the solvents and thinning with oil?
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Yes, I have used oil alone and was not nearly as pleased with the results...everyone needs to find what works to achieve their goals I guess. I have used margor medium as well and liked the results, but couldn't tolerate the odor.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Yes, I have used oil alone and was not nearly as pleased with the results...everyone needs to find what works to achieve their goals I guess. I have used margor medium as well and liked the results, but couldn't tolerate the odor.
Well, at least you have tried it

As for the Maroger's medium odor: Yes, me too. As far as I remember I didn't think the result was any better either, so in my case there was no reason to go in that direction. By the way, the often stated notion that this is the 'old master' medium does not hold much water (unless the old master we are talking about is Joshua Reynolds, whose paintings are notoriously difficult to restore). On top of it all, the black oil ingredient made me a bit nervous, and perhaps it should. If we should vote for the most toxic medium in our repertoire, I think we have contender here
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
If we should vote for the most toxic medium in our repertoire, I think we have contender here
agreed! (and thanks for figuring out my lousy spelling..what was I doing? )
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
agreed! (and thanks for figuring out my lousy spelling..what was I doing? )
Actually, I had to re-read your post to find the spelling mistake. I had no idea. I think I skipped a one-letter word in my own post, by the way .

Anyway, I was wondering if I should try to melt some damar in my oil, but I think I will keep it simple. If I want slightly more gloss, then adding a little stand oil seems to do the trick (e.g. I think four parts poppy oil to one part stand oil worked pretty well in one painting).
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 AM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

I love stand oil! And, thank you. Not sure about melting the damar...though it does sound like fun.
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 04-30-2012 at 12:18 AM.