WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
New Jersey

Hails from United States
First Casein Painting

Hi! This is my first attempt with casein. Shiva casein on Canson acrylic paper with an under-painting in black India ink. Paper size 16" by 20". As a final "varnish" I've applied a light coat of Krylon UV Archival Varnish satin, which is fairly invisible.
Overall "kind of" satisfied with it, but I regret the choice of black ink for the under-paint, next time will be either sepia or brown-ish. Love casein so far, the right balance between watercolor and gouache in my opinion.

Cheers!

Oops, no image!!!

Last edited by Liricus : 03-29-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Problems with upload....
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Red face Re: First Casein Painting - with picture!!!

Here is the picture, sorry for the mishap...
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: First Casein Painting

Wow, it looks so good! Your black underpainting adds to the "serious" feeling of the buildings. A beautiful grey, cold, repetitive feeling evoked by buildings on a cloudy day. I love it! I have never painted in this media and your art inspires me to try some time.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinky
Wow, it looks so good! Your black underpainting adds to the "serious" feeling of the buildings. A beautiful grey, cold, repetitive feeling evoked by buildings on a cloudy day. I love it! I have never painted in this media and your art inspires me to try some time.

Thank you Thinky. I'm glad that the feelings I had in mind came through the piece; a cold and overcast late-winter morning in lower Manhattan...

BTW I really like your website, your art is so eclectic! Love the illustrations especially.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Liricus! So very nice! I love the sky especially and the 1940's look to the large dark building, plus the WONDERFUL job at modeling the details of the building! I would love to see you do a 1940's city scape, with some period cars, etc...! Me, I MUST find out more about Casein!

Margarete
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Sunshine Coast

Hails from Australia

Outstanding Liricus I tend to agree with your thoughts on the black underpainting, however that black does give that feeling of coldness imho.