WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Any Logical Reason?

Just got Photoshop Essentials 10. Is there any logical reason, whatsoever, that would have inspired the developers of this new version to have eliminated two of the most important functions that I used every day on the older version (8.0)?

These are the individual, RGB color curves function, and the selective color function (the ability to modify C, M, Y, or Bk, in any of the following colors: C, M, Y, R, G, B, White, Neutral, Black.)

There doesn't seem to be any viable replacement or substitution for these two, profoundly important, major functions.

Just wondered if anyone else has felt this great loss, and disappointment as I have, at the elimination of these two tools.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States
Re: Any Logical Reason?

Sorry, Bill, no answer for you, but a question; does V.10 have new features that outweigh the availability of the curves and color functions you miss from V.8? If not, why not just go back to V.8?

Ray

Edited to add: I just looked around on the web and found this reference to curves in V.10. I assume this is not what you are looking for?
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen

Last edited by Oldthumbs : 04-28-2012 at 08:10 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 AM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldthumbs
Sorry, Bill, no answer for you, but a question; does V.10 have new features that outweigh the availability of the curves and color functions you miss from V.8? If not, why not just go back to V.8?

Ray

Edited to add: I just looked around on the web and found this reference to curves in V.10. I assume this is not what you are looking for?

I can't go back to V8 because my new, updated computer won't support it, or so my son says.

That SHOULD be the curve function that should do the trick, however I could not find any way to make it adjust individual color curves. Everything I tried merely adjusted the entire 3 curves simultaneously. I'll give it a try again.

Judging by that link that SHOULD be the way to do it, if I could only find out how to make it happen to individual curves, as it claims to do.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope you can figure out how to do what you want with it. I'm afraid I tend to keep running old stuff until it doesn't run any more, so I have no problem using older programs.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Well, I just found out the reason from a friend with whom I used to work. It seems that Photoshop 10 Essentials is a "dumbed-down" version of professional, Photoshop 10, and it quite literally doesn't have the "curves" function, as well (I just found out) as not having any "sharpen" features.

It seems I will need to get Photoshop 10 (without the "Essentials"), in order to be able to do my usual work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Well, that was definitely the reason. I got a different version of Photoshop, and all my problems have been solved. I got back my "curves", I got back my "selective color", and I got back my "sharpen" features (which I didn't even know I was lacking).

Photoshop Elements (it is "Elements", and not "Essentials", as I originally posted) is most definitely a "dumbed-down" version of Photoshop, and not very appropriate for anyone with a working knowledge of color and value. However, "Elements" did have a couple of features that worked rather well, in an "automatic" sense.

Last edited by WFMartin : 05-31-2012 at 10:47 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States

You're right that PSE has a reduced set of tools from the full version of Photoshop. There's a reason that they charge so much more for the full version. The selective color function is designed for working in the CMYK mode, which isn't supported in PSE. Curves is available in a somewhat limited manner, as described in the link below:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...9f5b-7fe4.html

Sharpening is also available:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...toshop-el.html
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 AM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G
You're right that PSE has a reduced set of tools from the full version of Photoshop. There's a reason that they charge so much more for the full version. The selective color function is designed for working in the CMYK mode, which isn't supported in PSE. Curves is available in a somewhat limited manner, as described in the link below:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...9f5b-7fe4.html

Sharpening is also available:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...toshop-el.html

I found that "curves" function, but I couldn't find any way do adjust each color curve separately.

But, nevermind. It's all academic now. I've got my new Photoshop, with "normal" functions.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Yeah, unfortunately, Adobe has done that with several pieces. What they really want you to do is buy in to their update service. It gets you, supposedly, more apps. But, if you only use one or two...it's a useless expense. Personally, I bought the whole bundle before I graduated in April. So, I do not need to upgrade for awhile. And then...I'll have to consider the commercial versions since they are so expensive.