WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM
ON Canada

Hails from Canada
first art craft table show

Hello: I have my first art and craft table/show in a few weeks and I'm interested if you have any tips showing fine art on a table verses a wall. I will have several framed encaustic paintings and about 40 small encaustics matted up and in clear plastic envelopes.
I have two wood trays to put the small works in so folks can flip through them and a few table easels for the framed works.
I will find a nice table cloth and three small clear glass vases and put a single flower in each ( I saw this at a nice restaurant ) for my 'decor'.
Thanks for any tips you might have or ideas I can use.
Sincerely,
Octave
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: first art craft table show

The more boxes you have for flipping through, the better. If you have 4 boxes, for instance, that means twice as many people can flip through at a time.

The more you can maker vertical, the better. Can you bring at least one small table to put behind your main table for your bigger, framed peices? you can put some on little table easels for some of the matted pieces, that would be great!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 AM
ON Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks RobinZ that is good tip. The more people browsing the better. Not sure about the small table - they seem to have a lot of rules. I might put the small table or stool ON my table and get some height. O.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM

I would skip the vase and flowers. You want them looking at the art, not the decor. And I guarantee you would get a few people asking "how much for the flowers?".

Kari
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM
ON Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up Re: first art craft table show

Hi Everyone: It went really well! I ended up selling 3 of my $40 works and got lots of comments on my bigger stuff. A 'craft' sale is not the place to sell works over $50 I don't think. I was the only art guy who sold things! Everyone else had $100-$700 price points. I learned my lesson. And I leaned I can put the right amount of time into a little art work that someone will pay $40 for... basically a miniature… and still feel like I made a profit and got my art ‘out – there’. I had three vases 1 with tulips, 1 with candies and 1 with my brushes and a few bricks of encaustic paint, some scrap encaustic samples that I had done so folks could handle and feel encaustic wax up close. All in all a great experience. I only do this as a hobby and I felt I had a good day. O.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Congratulations, Octave, on your successful day!

Having some merchandise priced to work in a specific venue is a great lesson. When I did shows like this one, I always offered items like miniatures, magnets, book marks, 8x10s & 11x14s, etc.!

At a craft-type show, people may stop to look at the large, prints -- but they actually buy the smaller items.

It all adds up!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

That's awesome!! That's a good day for your first outing, truly!!! Here's to many more, and many more sales for you!!!