WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Boat.

It's...a boat! 10"x8", oil on panel. C&C welcome, thanks.

www.jerrycampbell.blogspot.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Boat.

What's a boat doing on land? LOL This is so cool! I would love to be wandering around and finding such a sight. As far as C&C goes, I'm new to painting and don't know enough to give any valuable C&C but I'd like to say that if the boat was lighter I could see it better and/or quicker. Then again, that might have been your intent. I really like this painting. I'm having so much fun peeking at everyone's fantastic work.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Whenever I open one of your posts Jerry I know who painted it before I look at the name. You have a very distinct style and your subjects are always interesting. No need for C&C you are on top of your game, drawing, composition and use of colour are more than competent.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

very nice piece...

I guess if I were to offer some suggestion...it would be to toy with more value separation in distance planes...

though the shadows are darker in the buildings behind the boat, and perhaps might have been seen accurately that way...by distinction, the general prinicple is that darks are their darkest nearer the eye and lighten going back into space.

Since we paint with a deficit at our start... (a note to explain)

* Edgar Payne taught that the eye sees color about 200 to 300 times more intense by nature's light than what earthen pigments are capable of producing, and that while our eyes see about 400 values, we are lucky to paint perhaps 40 of them...

...thus, we are like it or not abstract painters, not able to paint the pure truth of what we see...but we create an environment where illusions of depth, color for mood create a feeling in the viewer.

That said...it is good to push, to give license that sends the back there...more back there...the mid ground solidly separated from the foreground.

so we extrapolate...or push, exaggerate to tell more truth. This then makes sense Picasso's oft quote, "art is a lie that tells the truth" though no doubt a different context he had in mind, but makes perfect sense to me.

Thus...bringing that boat more forward, and the focal point I think you intend...keep its darks distinct from the darks behind...each carrying a weight or ordering...if that makes sense...

One other thing to consider...as painters advance, become very good as you are...it is in the smaller things, the tweaks here and there that make greater differences and advances.

Edges read as details.

If I hold my hand up and you see the crease of my palm from three feet away, it would appear significantly different than if I held my hand up 100 feet away. Were we to look for the detail as a painter...looking hard, we might see some indication...but were we to paint it, then the burden is upon us to detail everything nearer from that raised hand closer in to the viewer's eye.

Thus...to increase the illusion of depth perspective, distance...we want to treat certain details as less distinct.

You might experiment for example with the sharper edges of the roof, the tall silo/cylinder type subject by slightly breaking up the edges here and there...softening, even obscuring..which then by variation/contrast and comparison to the forward most building will cause the nearer building to feel nearer still...those other buildings farther back.

A couple things to play with anyway...hope that helps...and as I like to say, opinions are a bit like armpits. Everyone has at least two and most stink! So take my suggestions as that...just suggestions, thoughts to consider...

Regardless...its a nice work...!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM

Thank you for your kind comments, WebCat. Despite your claim that you are new to art, you did provide me with valuable insight, and I'm grateful. I think I would have benefited from more squinting when painting this, to identify larger dark/light areas.
Thank you, Dave! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Larry, thank you for taking the time to critique this piece, and for your thoughts on painting 'realism' in general. And your points are correct. The higher contrasted areas (buildings, boat) are behind the groups of bushes and debris which are closer and more neutral in value. In my efforts to record all the information I can lose track of the subtle push-and-pull that creates depth. As you mentioned, edges play a large role in defining receding space. Points to remember next time in the field. Thanks again.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Jerry,

You are always so bang on with your drawing, and never shying away from more the difficult subjects like this one! Next time you go out let me know, I am itching for more "urban" scenes.
Cheers
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks, Dalibor! I sent you a PM.