WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

Brave new world?

First, Ian, thanks for opening up my world. I posted here a day or so ago about carrying oil and brushes. I saw your thread and prepared this.
Attached are:
1. My setup--a grocery cart with a few oils, oil crayons, sketching pencils and necessities, Derwent watercolor pencils and Prang watercolor crayons, a few brushes, bottles for oil and water, tissues, plastic bag, "easel", small side table and seat. Inside the cart in the purple box are oil paints and palettes.
This is taken on my patio. This set up is with watercolor pencils and crayons, graphite and charcoal pencils.

The following is an oil crayon sketch in preparation for an oil painting. (Front of my house, and the reason for my original question.)

and this one started as a pen sketch in a local park yesterday. When I go to the park, I can't carry much, but I try to carry a pen and a piece of bond paper to do sketches if I can, and sometimes take watercolor stuff. After seeing Ian's work, I took the watercolor crayons and colored it up today. Obviously there's a lot of room for growth! The drawing on the side was done the previous day.The strange marks in the field are soccer players.

It's kind of a Mickey Mouse set up, but it will work for now, I think...
This is what it looks like ready to go back inside/home, and the last photo is of the inside, in case anyone cares. The purple box has the oil painting stuff, but not yet oil brushes.

Ian, thanks again. I think there will be times I'm able to get out, and use
C&C welcome.
Crafor
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 AM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States
Re: Brave new world?

That's a clever set up probably using many items you already have. Looks like it will serve you well.

David

My blog: DAVID KING STUDIO
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Nicely organized and ready to go! My rig is pretty 'off the rack' too. I think we need to find some fancy french word for our homemade get-ups LOL

Babelfish translates the English "home made" to the French
la maison a fait

Last edited by WebCat : 04-25-2012 at 09:26 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

WebCat, wonderful idea.
Tell us about your maison a fait travelling studio.
Crafor
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Great setup Crafor ! I really enjoy watching your efforts ... you take things serious and that is so important ! Have fun with this setup there, it should work fine !

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Immortalized
Millville NJ

Hails from United States

Great idea.

Thanks for your critiques and comments.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

About 6x8 I took my maison a fait travelling studio out to the carport this morning to do some "starts". I did 3, then decided to do continue a fourth one beyond a simple start. It is the view across the street from my home, and facing several yards east, rather than the original one, posted above. (That's my basketball hoop and mailbox)
I used graphite pencils and WC crayons and pencils (no water) for these, all done on scrap bond paper. This version is the fifth one, and there's more added. I'm remembering more of what to look for, and maybe how to see better.
I learned I like the crayons and pencils, except my color selection is as limited as my pocketbook, so won't be buying more. My intention was to use just graphite, but I really wanted to do it with the color. Maybe next time.
I also learned that I should add an eraser, a straight edge, and maybe charcoals. C&C welcome
Crafor