WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Kazakhstan

Hails from Kazakhstan
Horse Fly Repellant?

I am painting in West Texas in or near Palo Duro Canyon. Something in my paint draws the flies and DEET 40% stength does not repel them. Any ideas what gets rid of them other than a fly swatter?

I am wearing heavy khaki shirt and pants and hat which is rather hot in the 90F weather.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Horse Fly Repellant?

Here are some made from "natural" ingredients: http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/horseflies.htm

Jan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 AM

Try rubbing your clothes and your equiptment
with a bounce dryer sheet. keep one close to
your supplies. Bugs do not like the scent.

my sister clips a sandwhich baggie to places on
her patio, fills the baggie half way with water and
puts 8-10 pennies in it to confuse their vision.

We were not bothered with any flies while we were
eating. Plenty of horses and livestock close to her house.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

I worked outside on an archeological site for couple of years.

I would wear longsleave under armor shirt (they have em for hot and cold) with bandana around neck.

If really bad, layer with light weight button up and pop collar too.

Hope that's of any use. Works for me painting along rivers and creek as well

Best of luck
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Oh eucalyptus oil works well and is safe/organic.

I'm from texas too
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

sand flies/dogflies are the pain in the palette here. They're drawn to moisture, so they love to sit on the palette, but more importantly, they are drawn to the salt in sweat. Even if you don't think you have any sweat, they'll find it. They draw blood everytime too, and don't go with a wave or a swat. They leave mean welts that take forever to heal and have been know to reopen 6 months later. I have scars from my times out down here.

When they come out, you simply have to leave.

Let me know if any of your trials work. I've heard of the waterbag before.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Kazakhstan

Hails from Kazakhstan

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am going to go with the Avon Skin So Soft on my trip romorrow. I am headed off tomorrow, but leaning towards the Big Bend instead of the Panhandle.

PS.
Many folks paint Palo Duro Canyon Park but are unaware of the other local opportunities.

Farm Road 207 from Claude (to Wayside/Hwy 86) crosses the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River in Palo Duro Canyon about 12 miles outside of Claude and the scenery for the next 10 miles is very dramatic and painter worthy (4 Stars ****). You descend about 1000 feet to the canyon floor than go back up and there is a terrific overlook (Hamblen Road Marker). If you are coming up HWY 287 North to Palo Duro canyo, this is probably the quicker than the route through Silverton that google suggests. The road thru Silverton is mostly rangeland, relatively flat with occasional views of small draws (**). Be advised that the Silverton route will take much longer than your GPS indicates.

Farm Road 207 from Wayside/Hwy 86 to Silverton is not "Scenic" as maps indicate IMHO except at the the Tule Creek Crossing near Lake Mackenzie which has a lot of impressive rock work, but, alas, on private properety. A long drive with only one highlight.

If you are taking the Silverton route, the detour at Quitaque for the Caprock Canyons State Park is worthwhile (3 1/2 Stars).

As an alternative to the Silverton/I 45 route mentioned above. HWY 256 from Silverton to Lakeview crosses the canyon and goes down off the caprock which is a long detour (3 stars) but may fascinate geologists. Recommended after you have seen 207 to Claude and if its a sunny day.

The Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon Texas has a superb collection of Texas Art (not just Western or SouthWestern) and is highly recommended.

If you are driving through Ft Worth, the French 19th Century Exhibition of the Clark Collection (mislabled "The Age of Impressionism") at the Kimbell Museum thru June 17th. is a must-see (and the Amon Carter next door is a personal favorite).

I usually stop in Childress Texas and Canyon Texas - lots of places to eat, good hotels, and WalMart. Silverton is very small as is Claude.

When I paint in West Texas, I use use tent stakes to anchor my easel against the strong gusts of wind. Sunblock and widebrimmed hat with chin strap recommended.

If anybody has recommendation around Canadian Texas, I would like to hear about them. I am aware of the circus museum in Perryton.

Cheers

Last edited by Yellow Ogre : 04-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

>>I also use the Bounce drier sheets (original scent) and DEET. The sheets I wrap about my ankles and pull socks up over them. I also place the sheets in pockets.
>> I have noticed insects may be selectively attracted to colors. Some small knats I once encountered loved lavender color oil paint. Ticks seem to love white paper. Chiggers love whatever color I am.
Have fun, Dave
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

If it's any consolation, one of my best paintings was done while I was being eaten alive by flys. They make you paint fast and just the essentials!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States
Cool Re: Horse Fly Repellant?

Here in SoCal, we're lucky! Most coastal Chambers of Commerce prohibit bugs along our Gold $$ Coast, where sand flies are about the only thing found. Personally, I second Avon SSS which I've used fairly successfully down in the tropics, like "Party Vallarty" and indigenous jungle communities immediately South. One thing though, it usually takes 1-2 shots of tequila, homemade racilla or, at least a coco-loco, for a macho guy to even consider blessing his body with an "Avon" product .. At least, don't be seen doin' it! When this and/or all else fails, try some garlic tabs throughout the day... You may not care to make new friends while doin' PA anyway. One last suggestion, try burning incense, like "Nag Champa".. Just attach a clip with an incense stick somewhere on your easel, a lil' upwind, so the smoke occasionally runs around you.. But, there's one problemo with this one.. Good ol' "NC" tends to attract ol' hippies and the likes, sometimes they're harder to git rid of than the bugs!