WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States
Toxic-free oil paint brush holder

I paint in oils and from gathering ideas from WC I thought I would share how I store my brushes on a daily basis using dollar store hair conditioner (Kiwi flavor) and a cheap plastic roller tray. I don't use any turps or odorless anything. I have decided that I don't need to wash them anymore because the rag just wipes them clean. This tray was too long for my desk, so I cut it in half and glued it together, I used a piece of cloth in-between the pieces to make it adhere better. And, most important, THE BRUSH ENDS DON'T BEND.

My Cassandra Cat's Facebook Page >'.'< https://www.facebook.com/cassandraps...=page_internal >'.'<
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States
Re: Toxic-free oil paint brush holder

You can use your favorite oil instead of the hair conditioner, someone on WC does this...I don't use oil because of oily messes and the container was bought at a home improvement big box store along with a roller. Of course the brush needs to be wiped off before sinking it into the conditioner.

My Cassandra Cat's Facebook Page >'.'< https://www.facebook.com/cassandraps...=page_internal >'.'<
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
North Vancouver, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

I do a similar thing but use linseed oil.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
CT

Hails from United States

hold on, really??? you don't wash your brushes? you just wipe them and lay them in the conditioner?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, australia

Hails from Australia

sounds like a fun idea...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States

I used to wash them at day's end, but, no more, just wipe well and they are good to go. That red grate in there is what I rub the brush on when they are really stained from using blue, or other staining hues.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden

Good idea with the plastic roller tray! Will use that (but with linseed oil).
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Uhm.... I was reading about oil, so I tried that. Using baby oil. The cheap kind. But, I clean the brushes with the oil and then wash them out with a conditioning hand soap and dry them. I would be worried that the oil would migrate up the ferrule and maybe loosen, prematurely, the attachment, if it soaked for long periods.

I also find that natural fiber (boar/ sable) seem to release the paint quickly, but that the synthetic fibers tend to hang onto it and a lot does still come out when I wash.

And,while we're on the subject, does anyone know where I can find the PEL rating on these turpenoids/ pure gum whatever its called turpentine/ varnish etc.? I am taking a class outside in the jungle of New Jersey this summer because I really don't like the smell of these, and I've seen at least one student have a severe asthmatic reaction just after she walked past my set up when I was using odorless turpenoid. That sort of made it real for me.