WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Suffolk countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Yes, You CAN Have Too Many Pastels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonaise
Right, that one "leeeetle" teenie weenie stick that should really be purchased with friends of the same ilk which leads to a small set that needs to be enhanced by the full color range which then is offered at a sale price .... so while we are saving so much money buying pastels sticks on sale, why not purchase another small stick which needs friends, that leads to the need of another full color range .......
So THAT'S how they do it! Oh! I have been manipulated by some pastel shopkeepers and, come to think of it, online stores as well.....Goodness gracious...it's not my fault at all!!!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels &
Still Life
Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1616
I do, I do! Seriously...I have pastel sets and open stock from the following makers:

Cretacolor
Girault
Roché
Mungyo Gallery Handmade (full set)
Jack Richeson Handmade
Winsor & Newton
Yarka
Rembrandt
PanPastels
Blick Artists' Pastels (full set)
Unison
Diane Townsend
Great American
Maimeri Artisti
Terry Ludwig
Sennelier
Mount Vision (nearly full set)
Schmincke (full set)
Jason
That's an impressive collection At this stage mine is fairly modest, I have a 90 half stick set of Rembrandts and a 60 set of FC Polychromos pastels. I also had 72 Derwent pastel pencils (old formula) but didn't like them, so I sold them and used the money to get the 60 FC PITT pastel pencils, and they are much nicer to use. I also have Mungyo Gallery and Caran d'Ache Neopastels, though they're both oil pastels.

I noticed you've got both the Rembrandts and the Mungyo Gallery Handmade pastels. How do they compare for texture? I am thinking of getting a small set of something soft to go over my Rembrandts, and one of the sets I've been considering is the MG Handmade. Other ones I was (maybe) looking at are Schmincke, Girault and Sennelier, but the first seems expensive, haven't heard much about the second and I've heard the third has issues with consistency between colours.

#93   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Enthusiast
Alaska

Hails from United States

all I can say is you are all so lucky! i have a lot of pastels considering how long I have been painting but still not near enough! LOL I would trade you problems any day!
And... now that I am building my studio I will have room for them!!
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

ok this is all looking completely DAFT to me. I admit I have not followed the thread and read every post, so if this has been said before, I apologise for repeating it.

I have been away with a Royal Academician. He went out every day and did a beautiful little painting, with the most minimal supplies. so LET'S PUT THIS INTO PERSPECTIVE.

HAVING EVERY SET ON THE MARKET WILL NOT MAKE YOU PAINT BETTER.

HAVING THE SAME COLOURS AS THE PRO YOU WATCHED AT AN EXHIBITION WILL NOT MAKE YOU PAINT LIKE HIM.

If you are an art material junkie, you have a problem which you need to control. It isn't that you are spending money unnecessarily (tho you are). It is that You are spending FAR too much time looking at materials, and buying, instead of USING THEM. you have bought into the idea that having every stick of pastel on the market will make you a better painter eventually. Sorry. Wrong.

When I do a painting, I generally never use more than twelve sticks of pastel at any one time. I do a thumbnail. I think about the atmosphere I want to create, and the sort of range of colours I might use. I then sort out a "palette" of the main colours I have decided upon. I might add one or two more as the painting progresses, but in general, the palette I sort out to begin with is only about TWELVE STICKS, tho it might grow by a few to perhaps twenty at most. Tho that would be a lot for me. I have won awards for paintings done with no more than TWELVE STICKS of colour. I am not boasting, I am just trying to make a point.
I put those twelve sticks into a little plastic veggies tray. In this way, I maintain colour harmony throughout in my painting, with very little in the way of jarring notes of colour suddenly appearing.

Get it into your heads folks. If you have a large set of any manufacturer's pastels, you have more than enough to use, so perhaps you need to stop wasting time scouring the internet for more and more supplies, and get on with painting.

Sure, it is fun buying lots of pastels, delicious to see the new pastels in their boxes, and lovely to be surrounded by a wealth of pastels. But actually, if you collect rather than paint, what are you...painter, or collector?

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 09-15-2012 at 03:23 PM.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJFleming
I noticed you've got both the Rembrandts and the Mungyo Gallery Handmade pastels. How do they compare for texture? I am thinking of getting a small set of something soft to go over my Rembrandts, and one of the sets I've been considering is the MG Handmade. Other ones I was (maybe) looking at are Schmincke, Girault and Sennelier, but the first seems expensive, haven't heard much about the second and I've heard the third has issues with consistency between colours.

Hi Rebecca. I highly recommend that Mungyo Gallery Handmade pastels! They are very different from Rembrandts. The MGs are very soft and velvety and are quite similar in size and texture to Unisons. They are not as richly pigmented as some of the more expensive brands like Schmincke or Girault, but they are very good.

I only have a 60 half-stick set of Rembrandts that I use mainly with alcohol wash for underpainting. I find them too hard for most other uses...but that's just my opinion.

"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Therefore, I believe we should be economical with it." —Mark Twain
http://www.WalcottFineArt.com
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1616
Hi Rebecca. I highly recommend that Mungyo Gallery Handmade pastels! They are very different from Rembrandts. The MGs are very soft and velvety and are quite similar in size and texture to Unisons. They are not as richly pigmented as some of the more expensive brands like Schmincke or Girault, but they are very good.

I only have a 60 half-stick set of Rembrandts that I use mainly with alcohol wash for underpainting. I find them too hard for most other uses...but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for your reply I also read a review on Robert Sloan's blog about the Mungyo Gallery Handmade pastels, and that helped convince me to get them Jerry's had them on big discount, so I got a set of 30 for about $50 (they're usually about 80) and I can't wait to get them. I've been playing with a few postcard sized drawings with my Polychromos pastels and the Rembrandts, and most of the time the Rembrandts are soft enough for my needs, but there have been a few times where I just need something to go over the top and add more layers (part of this could be the paper, I'm still experimenting with what sort of surfaces I like). I know these aren't as pigment-rich as other handmade brands but since I'm only a beginner, I might as well get the cheaper ones for now.

For now that's all the pastels I feel the need to buy; I just wanted one set of hard, one medium and one soft. I love the FC and the Rembrandt, though I do get annoyed with that plasticky sort of skin the Rembrandts have that you have to sand off.

On a side note, I just saw a brand called Roche on another store; more than $200 for 12 colours Even if I were an expert pastelist, I couldn't bring myself to use those, it'd be like painting with ground up money haha

#97   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJFleming
On a side note, I just saw a brand called Roche on another store; more than $200 for 12 colours Even if I were an expert pastelist, I couldn't bring myself to use those, it'd be like painting with ground up money haha

Hi Rebecca...

There have been a few threads on here in the past about Roche pastels...they are the most expensive in the world! The full set costs about $10,000. YIKES! I had to try some just to see, so I bought the smallest set they had of 12 half-sticks for $99. They are a bit gritty in texture which I wasn't expecting. I like them, but they are nearly identical in texture and color to Diane Townsend pastels which are a fraction of the price.

"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Therefore, I believe we should be economical with it." —Mark Twain
http://www.WalcottFineArt.com
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Belgium

Hi Jason, you should read Charlie's (Colorix) excellent blog entry about Roché pastels. It explains why they should be used differently than other brands:

http://charlotteherczfeld.com/datavi...gmonth=2 0126

Dorothea
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Dorothea, thank you for that link! Great info. It is very timely as I have too many pastels and so what, I just bought some more, including a few Roche's to try. I must say Roche pastels are superior not only in price but also in chroma and variety of colors. I don't get a commission, but check this out:

http://www.lamaisondupastel.com/shop....php?langue=en

Of course Jackie is correct in her warning not to invest too much confidence in the outcome of spending more money, but, with all due respect, I have to wonder what Degas et al would have done without Roche pastels. Then again, I guess there were lots of other artists using Roche but whose work is unknown. We takes our chances.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 AM

Hails from Sweden

Wow! Some of you guys have a lot of pastels, you must be very happy

Jason, why is MV your favorite, what is the best with it?

SandyB has some real light pastels, wonder what brand they are..

Lumiere33, what boxes you have!!! Where did you find them?
When you paint, how do you manage all boxes? You maybee just use
one at a time. Do you buy your pastels in Europe or do you also buy from
USA?

About not buying too many pastels but be painting instead, its a good advice.
But I also think about the different life situations everybody have. If you collect and look at you pastels in your 'spare time' it can not hurt. Many people spend a lot of time collecting things or spend time with things that are a 'time waster' or even chatting with people about nothing.
So if you get happy buying pastels, why not?
But if it steal time from the painting time...that can be what ever we do, then
we have to reorganize our priorities.

I will buy more pastels, I have realized I have too few.
It is a little bit hard to find the grey blues and grey green. Schminke has nice
ones but they are very soft. Maybee Unison is the brand to look at.

Another thing, you who cut your pastels, how do you do with Sennelier?
I have cut some of them, but they go to many pieces, so maybee its not a good thing to try to keep them in the same box with the other brands.
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlee
Dorothea, thank you for that link! Great info. It is very timely as I have too many pastels and so what, I just bought some more, including a few Roche's to try. I must say Roche pastels are superior not only in price but also in chroma and variety of colors. I don't get a commission, but check this out:

http://www.lamaisondupastel.com/shop....php?langue=en

Of course Jackie is correct in her warning not to invest too much confidence in the outcome of spending more money, but, with all due respect, I have to wonder what Degas et al would have done without Roche pastels. Then again, I guess there were lots of other artists using Roche but whose work is unknown. We takes our chances.

I am sure Degas would have been quite happy using Sennelier. Or, if pastels were not around, he would have used oils. He was not averse to experimentation, and I have absolute confidence that he would have turned out masterpieces if all he had to use was a stick or two of charcoal, a dozen or so of any make of pastel, and could have performed miracles on a brown paper bag if there was no appropriate paper around. Having wonderful materials is terrifically satisfying, but it is not the materials which maketh the artist.....it is the way the artist uses whatever materials he has at his disposal.
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 03:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

AnnaLisa, Unisons have beautiful colour biased greys, and they are sort of "firm", neither hard nor very soft. One thing I really like with them is that they cling very well to Canson MT, even if I use them mostly with Pastelmat and Fisher 400.

I think pastellists are more prone to be "collectors" of sticks than other media. No oilpainter I know drools over a box full of white tubes with text on... :-)

There exists a photo of what is said to be Degas' pastel box (it is in some museum, don't know where), and it seems very small. (And badly faded in colour, the photo I mean.) So it certainly looked like he did miracles with a handful or two. He started in oils, but thought pastels to be way better for him and his style and gradually switched over to paint only in pastels.

Here, in post 9.

It seems to me that several pastel brands have some properties that the others do not. So if one is after a special effect only one brand can render, I'm all for it.

And, when a pastel painter becomes famous in pastel circles, the manufacturers send them full sets so the firm can say in their commercials "used by Master X". Just like film-stars and designer clothes, really. It doesn't mean the Master X really wants or needs all those sticks.

Famous (to be) quote: "The purpose of pastel painting is not to preserve pristine pretty sticks." (Me.)

Did I say I've seen a gorgeous portrait of a film star, painted in lipstick of different colours? It really is the artist, not the materials.

Except for that special stick that behaves in a special way, like Schmincke near whites for highlights, or Roché for temperamental strokes.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Hails from Sweden

Hahaha Charlie, no I have not heard of any one drooling over oil paint tubes, haha.
There is one brand of oil paint though that have really nice colours that I just HAD to buy from USA.

I also use pastelmat and Fisher. I used to use Ersta until I heard that it is
not archival. I really like that paper. Uart is near, but it doesn´t have that
'glitter' effect that Ersta has. I have bought Wallis and Uart and will try them.

I will buy some grey colour of Unison, I like that brand. I bought the
63 half stick set of Heather Harman from Jacksons. Its a pitty that they dont write which colours are in the set, if you want more of a particular colour or you dont want to buy a duplicate.
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Hails from Sweden

I just found out where Jacksons give info about what pastels are in a set.
When you are tired in the night, better to go to sleep hehe instead of
surfing the net for pastels.
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

lumiere needs one of those giant rolling crane systems. She can hang from the top in a basket, reach down to get the stick she needs and then roll herself on over to the canvas, and then back again for another stick. Pretty soon she'll need to upgrade that crane to go up a level.