WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > NEW! Welcome Forum - New Users
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 AM

"I've fallen and I cant get up!"

Hey everyone!! I am not so much new as I am infrequent to this site. I have not taken advantage of some of the help and assistance since I joined over a year ago. I must say it is rather difficult to sign on sometimes, so I have just said "forget it!" and browsed somewhere else.
I am in a BIG rut! I have been an artist and teacher for 30 years and now have my studio set up just right (after losing my studio in a divorce fire)but I don't have the desire to paint that I need to have to survive the world of art and sales. I have developed a chronic low blood sugar problem (one where my pancreas secretes too much insulin sometimes, and down goes the blood sugar) Needless to say I am very tired most of the time. Even striking out and getting paint on the canvas doesn't seem to give me the urge to continue like it should. Does anybody have any advice for me? Maybe someone with the same or similar problem. I feel something will give, somehow. All of the skills I have developed and no desire to use them is not good at all! I am sorry for prattling on, but I thought someone may have some advice...montuwed

Last edited by TimothyFenwick : 04-26-2012 at 12:20 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States
Re: "I've fallen and I cant get up!"

Welcome back!
I think the best place for your discussion is probably the Creativity Forum.
Review:
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels Menu at the upper left.
* Moderators and Guides have links in their Signature lines to address FAQ’s
* There are “Sticky” (permanent) threads at the top of Forum pages that are
full of helpful information.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Don't feel bad, a lot of artists go through the same feelings. Jon's right, there is all sorts of advice and similar stories in the creativity forum.
Hope wc can help you out!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Welcome to wetcanvas! You sound overwhelmed, why not start a very small piece and see if that can recharge your muse?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
middle of nowhere!

Hails from Canada

Hi Timothy, Sorry to hear of your low blood sugars....Hypoglycemia. I have had diabetes for just about 35 years now, and have been on insulin for about that long as well. I have had many times of low blood sugars too, due to too much insulin for the amount of food I have eaten and/or the amount of activity I have been doing. Not nice, but one has to live with it, so one must learn as much as one can to be able to hopefully fix it successively! Have you seen a dietician for help???? If so phone them for another appt. If not, phone for an appt. with one. A good place to start would be the Hospital or Doctor's office for info on a good dietician who HAS EXPERIENCE with Diabetes Food Counselling. One of my mother's friends has a daughter who found out she had hypoglycemia in her 20's. Her mom mentioned to me what the daughter had to do to break the vicious cycle of high-low sugars. She needed to have half a sandwich with about an ounce of protein ie 2 Tbsp of peanut butter, or 1 ounce of cheddar cheese, or meatloaf, or hamburger patty or fish or steak or chicken, whatever you like or have on hand. The protein helps stop the rise in sugar from being so fast. The bread is also important. If you use white bread, it will make the sugar rise quite quickly. If you use a high fibre type of bread ie 12 Grain Bread, the rise in sugar will be much slower. Also, when you buy your groceries, read the product's Nutritional Label and check for the amount of Carbohydrate and Fibre in a serving. Subtract the amount of Fibre from the amount of Carbohydrate to get the amount of USABLE Carbohydrate. A slice of bread is worth 15 grams of Carb. after subtracting the amount of Fibre. I follow the Canadian Diabetes Food Plan, but I'm not sure if you are in the USA. They have a slightly different Diabetes Food Plan. Their amounts may still be a little different from what I'm used to. Hence the need to see a dietician. I sure hope you can get the help for your situation ASAP. Please keep in touch. You may send me a PM (Private Message) to: pixieartist . If you aren't sure how, click on to: My PM when you first sign in to Wet Canvas. Then find the part that says to send a PM or message, and type your message.
Now in regard to getting back into painting again. JOIN THE CLUB (literally!) But that could be another answer. Do you personally know any artists in your area? Are you part of an Art Group or Club? Larry Seiler with W/C has a thread about 120 Daily Paintings...you paint one a day for 120 days/paintings. Check out the thread using the 'Search for' space to type in Larry Seiler or 120 Daily Paintings. Then choose forums and click on GO. That may help you get going. If you use small sizes of paper/canvas, the paintings are do-able, I think...I am not a fast painter, usually, unless I need to paint a card for someone!!! If you are working ie full time, your art time may be hard to get until your days off, so start there. Doodle when you are on the phone or waiting for appt.s!!! Anyway, keep in touch and let me know how things work out. Take care of yourself! Pixieartist
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Northumberland England.

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello , and a warm welcome to Wet Canvas, hope you enjoy your time here , Best wishes, Ken