WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM
central NY

Hails from United States
charity art showing commission

If a charity hosts an art showing as a fundraiser, what are typical commission splits? Is it customary for the charity to receive a larger fraction of the price than if the work was sold in a for-profit gallery?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: charity art showing commission

My experience has been the charity expects the artist to donate the piece. This has been the case in five events I've participated in. The price the artist lists is a guide for where they start the auction. The artists got nothing.

That's why I no longer participate in these events unless it is a charity very, very dear to my heart.

Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM
A Local Legend

ditto Diane. Charity = gift. It may sound hard-nosed but be careful of building a reputation for 'gifting' your work to every Tom, Dick and Harry who comes calling....
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast
Wyoming

Hails from Canada

There are art shows that do split the proceeds with the artist. The split varies depending on the show and how the art is sold.( auction or set price). Often these are annual shows that benefit a certain foundation. The "Annual Richard Schmid Fine Art Auction" is one example. "The Artists for Conservation" annual show is another.

Small local shows usually are different and try to take more of the proceeds because they are one time shows.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Hails from Canada

I have donated to shows that offered the option of a complete donation or commission, just check the box. I think that's fair.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:16 AM
central NY

Hails from United States

I'm actually asking from the standpoint of being in a position to influence the hosting of such an event. In the US artists don't get much love from the IRS regarding art donations, as only material and travel expenses may be deducted, nowhere near the market value. Would selling artists (i.e. you, what is your personal opinion) be willing to accept 5 - 10% higher take then the going gallery rate for a charity showing?

Is there any way to have this take be considered a cash donation to the charity? This seems to be done through a third party with real estate.

If an artist at the charity showing sells mostly through a particular gallery, would it be reasonable for the charity to approach the gallery for underwriting ("See more of artist X's work at Y Gallery")?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

My experience has also been that for charity fundraisers the expectation is the artist will donate the work. Not great for the artist.

The same happens to retailers and resturants, we get hit up for donations and then only can only take "cost of goods" as a tax deduction.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Århus

Hails from Denmark

I am doing something here with a charity. A large group show, where we pay for the space. The price is not cheap but quite reasonable, I suppose because as a charity they get the space at a discount. Then if we sell, they get nothing. So it is sort of like a vanity gallery - which I detest. Except the money goes not to someone's pocket but a good cause. Which is why I will do this show. Ironically, even though I have an Atelier in the SAME BUILDING. Crazy.

I would not give to a charity for nothing. It is bad for me, bad for business, and will only get a bunch more people asking for the same. The only time I would is if it is a charity that is personal to me, that I would have given money to anyway.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Just to chime in... I've worked with charity auctions that work all different ways. The three I was happiest with:
1. Complete donation, artist determined the starting price of the work to ensure it was the same value as at galleries. (ie. not undermining the artist's value)
2. Complete donation but all works raffled (rather than auctioned) at the same price. So artists were asked for works at the £250 retail price (or thereabouts) This approach worked really well but I've not seen any other group use it.
3. Straight commission. Charity sale, artist received the usual 50%, gallery (this was run by a regular art gallery agent) donated all her time and work and her usual 50% went to charity.

So it can kind of work all sorts of ways. I don't donate to events any more where I can't set the starting bid/price.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 AM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

Events I show in take a maximum of 50%, some as low as 25% but with a small 'Hanging fee' (Usually about €10-$14). I usually donate the full 50% even in those that take less. However most here now do take the 50% gallery standard.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum