WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States
Struggling- To finish or not to finish?

I haven't posted anything in a long time, I was having a hard time feeling like picking up my pastels. I finally felt like it was time to start a new picture and wow have I struggled with it. I need some suggestions on whether I should finish it or move on to something else- I'm just starting to add some detail- what is wrong with it???? Please help if you can and yes be honest!!! Anyone else ever go through a phase like you don't feel like you can do anything or finish anything?

Thanks Stephanie- stuck in a rut!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: Struggling- To finish or not to finish?

I'm only just emerging from a rut that has lasted more than 6 months so you are not alone Stephanie.

I don't know why you are thinking of dumping this picture - it is coming along beautifully. I say keep going, you are doing a wonderful job on the fur and I think you will be very proud of this piece when it's finished.

However, if you are having trouble staying focused, or are getting bored (this happens to me often when I'm painting), then maybe you should put it aside for a while and work on something else. When you come back to it with fresh eyes you will hopefully be motivated to finish it.

Personally, I think what you've done so far is terrific!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Immortalized

In my humble opinion.. I think it is GORGEOUS and would LOVE to create something as nice as that.

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast
Costa Blanca, Spain

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
However, if you are having trouble staying focused, or are getting bored (this happens to me often when I'm painting), then maybe you should put it aside for a while and work on something else. When you come back to it with fresh eyes you will hopefully be motivated to finish it.

I agree. I think this is really looking beautiful already.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

Thank you everyone for your kind words, maybe I have been staring at it too long. I worked on it a little more last night, I will give it a few more days and see it I don't have to step away for awhile and start something else- I will sure be glad to work out of this rut- it's nice to know I'm not the only one that goes through it- Thank you everyone for the push forward.

Stephanie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wales, UK

Hails from Wales

Is it a big painting Stephanie? I sometimes get a little burnt out when doing big or time consuming paintings. I recharge by doing smaller works. It is important to keep painting though to stay motivated - in my opinion anyways ) ie keep the good habit of painting going.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rockville Maryland

Hails from United States

Ok just having worked with dark shadows I see the right side of the face as being a bit to narrow.2nd the Lt legs and tail are to close im color
3rd the Rt back leg need to have less detail more shadowing.
These are simple things to work out.
It I get a block I let it sit out where I can see the painting and just look at it for a few days. All the while figuring where it needs tweaking.
It's a nice paints , just needs a few adjustments.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

Yes Jason it is a big picture, 20 x 26 and kind of over whelming. By the way Jason, I just bought your ebooks and they are a great help!
Thank you Dave, I think I will set it out for a few days and look for the improvements you just gave me and just try to study it for awhile. I know not all pictures turn out and you have to keep pushing yourself forward if your ever going to get any better.....

Thank you so much for your replies, they really do help! I need all the help I can get!
Stephanie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rockville Maryland

Hails from United States

We are told early on as art students, we learn from our mistakes. I hope to see some good results form this.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wales, UK

Hails from Wales

I can honestly say that if I threw away any paintings I was not 100% happy with then ALL of them would be in the bin - honestly. That is what keeps me going, one day I might just pull one off

Glad you like the ebooks
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I live for the most in Yankalilla a gorgeous seaside town about an hour from Adelaide South Australia

Hails from Australia

my intitial response was that i really liked it but was thinking something is slightly off kilter, I think you have your shadows in a distinct line down one side of the cat and there is only the one very dark shadow on the ground, the front paw is a bit iffy too, but push through it the head is amazing and done so beautifully, I have been bogged down like this before and nearly thrown work away but I pushed through it and emerged the other side, Also I find if I go to an art group or someting i get really inspired to get going again, just a thought
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
WC! Guide
Montana

Hails from United States

This is lovely and you've gotten some great suggestions so far. One thing that keeps my attention is his left nostril (our right). Are you doing this from a reference photo or imagination?

My Blog Facebook Fan Page
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

I am doing it from a reference photo, a very burly and tiny photo. I have to look really hard to see what is going on in it. I took a little break and I'm working on a smaller picture, still trying to decide if the lion is worth saving...
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

The lion painting is definitely worth saving. I usually have a couple paintings in that stage in the studio. Sooner or later I work out the kinks and finish them. Re. your reference photo: suggest looking at other ref. photos to help with the anatomy of the lion and only look at your smaller pic. for backup. Just painting to make the composition work, and not relying on the reference particulars, has helped me.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

Thank you for the great advice, maybe it won't look so bad when I pull it back out of the closet. I have a tiger cub almost finished, I will post that in a day or two. I'm a little happier with the way the tiger cub is turning out. I would like to finish the lion too though.....