WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Re: go to art class at age 60?????

With these books, one needs no classes. She/he could develop the skills going nowhere, at home.
and be the poorer for it, nothing beats feedback from fellow artists, altho not everyone can afford to go to classes nor are they easily accesible to many people.

I enjoy the feedback and chatter here on WC, it is the best alternative to actual human contact I have found so far.

and yes, reading and using printed material does help. a lot.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
A Local Legend

Many colleges and universities have programs in which people over 60 can take classes, perhaps not for credit, for very minimal fees.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Deep South Georgia

Hails from United States

I was widowed very suddenly, in New Orleans, and found myself starting over. I was fortunate that my stepchildren were grown and wanted me to be happy. I talked at length to an artist that became my beloved mentor, Johnnie Liliedahl, about what path to take in art. Go to Art School? /? Or what??? She gave me wonderful advice that I have since heard told to others by other teachers. Study with anyone that you are able to. You will learn "something' from every class you take. If you do this (and are like me) you will be in the company of wonderful inspiring people. You will find your niche. Read read read~but do not hide yourself away. Embrace the Joy you have found in your Art. I am now about to turn 60 and know that Art was my gift from God to keep me so happy in life. Good Luck!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Willamette Valley, OR

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwueste
My opinion might be an alternative to Doug's - which is first: - maybe - sure but what do you want to learn ? - to focus on ?

If you want to develop your realism skills ( drawing of people, then painting them - or doing the same for landscape, still life etc.,) then finding a school that has teachers who can do that - then: ABSOLUTELY! As long as the student is open, and willing to set aside his/her ego - you can devlelop - age is not a huge factor.

I went back to school at 42 or so.. to art school and I have learned so much ( and continue to do so as I shift into more of a teaching role at the Academy of ARt Univ here in San Francisco)..

cheers and good luck,

Kevin

That!

And I will add that back in the early 70's, I naively chose the wrong school (San Francisco Art Institute) to continue my education after a 2 year college degree. It was during the time of abstract expressionists and conceptualism, and representational art of any kind was considered "selling out" in that institution. I am excited to see that realism, impressionism, and the importance of brush work, composition, and good drawing skills are making a comeback (as far as I know).

Always agreed with this statement (source unknown): "A self-taught artist has had a very stupid teacher." Therefore, not something to brag about.
At age 61 (our kids are grown) I am relearning my art with the help of the internet and, more importantly, painting and drawing every day, with a purpose.

Enjoy your journey.

Bill

Last edited by Caddisman : 02-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Gatineau, Quebec (Absurdistan)

Hails from Canada

I would not recommend University or College courses when you are above 45. They are too theoretical and carreer oriented. But Arts Leagues courses, selected courses (not programs) in local art schools and model workshops are filled with "retired" people who have fun. With a bit of shopping you can get what you are looking for.
At 60, it is better to join an art group to keep on learning, than to go to college... At least this is my choice.