WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Bison

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bison
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been working on this and finally signed it but...I feel some good feedback is in order.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How does the back ground go with this painting?

I click on Structured Critique Forum and this goes to Open Critique Forum, why?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
South Bucks

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Bison

Quote:
I click on Structured Critique Forum and this goes to Open Critique Forum, why?
It's difficult (to impossible) to start a thread in the Structured forum - PM a moderator to get this moved over
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Ovilla, TX

Hails from United States

you have to agree to the terms to get in.
I like it. What do you want critiqued?
Tell me more about your intentions? photo realistic? Hope not. Bison with a human chin/mustache? A very good abstract of a creature. I do not see the source of my next buff burger though.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

k, reality check (structured critique)
the background is too sparse/quickly thrown together
(needs: tallest/detailed/strongest value grasses in the most foreground area and smallest/blurry/lightest value grasses in the distance)
this will give distance to the background scene.
the variation of color that you've used for the grasses is marvelous.

the bison
it's recognizable as a bison because they are unique, but ...
the horns come out from the head more before they turn upwards.
their eyes Never stare wide open like that (unless they're terrified, which is extremely rare)
the usual look is concentrated, alert, on guard, angry
the scull has more prominent eye sockets
male (more dominant) or female (more subtle) there's going to be a noticeable goatee

please look at your reference again - in greyscale if you're able, and take specific notes of shapes in the head/scull - small eyes, predominant (and shiny, assuming it's healthy) nose, generally overall dark face/head to the point that the eyes are sometimes hard to see.

tricky creature to paint, unique, worth a little extra time, kudo's for effort

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

oh, and if you want structured critiques, it's wise to put that request in the title of the original post

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your comments. I completed the forms as requested and it still showed up on this forum.

The photo I made of the bison is darker than how it appears on the computer. I will reshoot the photo and post it once I’ve made some of the corrections that have been mentioned.

Bob, your right, the chin is wrong.

La, I wanted to paint a recognizable bison. In starting this painting, I was attempting to try a different kind of background. I wanted a more abstract background with colors that complimented the object of the painting; a “pleasant arrangement of lines, spaces and colors”. What may appear as grass could as easily have been swirls. I was just playing, trying to see is this type of abstract background would go with this type of subject without attention to depth. La, I don’t understand what you mean when you said “the horns come out from the head more before they turn upwards”. As soon as I take a better photo of the bison I will grayscale it.

Thank you again for your instruction. I will make the corrections and repost the photo.