WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > The WC Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Camarillo, CA

Hails from United States
Self Portrait Photoshop Sketch

Hey Everybody, here is the first piece I felt like sharing. It was a self portrait that I thought I would sketch real fast. It was right after I started reading through some Andrew Loomis books. His books help a lot in explaining things better for me at least.

I surprised it even ended up looking anything like me haha
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Question Re: Self Portrait Photoshop Sketch question for jtorres

Hey Bud! I have been an artist for over 30 years and still have difficulty achieving a likeness when drawing a face. If you are good at it, let me ask a question or two.. Is the ability to get a likeness every time (like when your watching a portrait artist at the mall or at a county fair etc.) something you can get good at through practice, maybe using a grid for a while and then getting a feel for how to analyze correctly? I have a feeling of dread when I think this ability must be instinctive because I have a hard time!Lots of erasing ha ha!
If achieving this ability is simply a matter of repetitive practice, then there is hope for me. I must admit I have not practiced this very much because of getting frustrated. IF you can answer this question, then I will devote a lot of time to practicing ! I hope it is do-able after 30 years! Thanks for your attention and best of luck with your art. Hit me back if you want to ... montuwed
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Camarillo, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Self Portrait Photoshop Sketch

Well you have been doing art far longer than me but I can try and explain what I personally did to get it close to my likeness. Often what I do is find out what on the face makes me, me (or them, them). I also start with a really simple face and try and figure out the basic shapes on it and build up from there. Like I said, I've been using Andrew Loomis' books to help explain faces and anatomy, they have helped alot ("Drawing the Head and Hands" and "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" - Both great books). His simplification of the head helped a ton in identifying features. I think it is just practice though, developing that eye that can pick up on key features that make a person that unique person. But that's just my take, I could be a bit off. I'll be fair that this self portrait isn't exact. There are minor differences, I was just surprised that I wanted to recreate my likeness and pretty much got it haha.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

great style....i like it!!! tyree
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Lokeren

Hails from Belgium

Nice sketch.
Ah, another fan of Loomis! I found his books in a sale here, worn and torn, but they are good.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Camarillo, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by marecdl
Nice sketch.
Ah, another fan of Loomis! I found his books in a sale here, worn and torn, but they are good.

I'm a big fan of Loomis. Not only is his instruction in his books clear and concise, but encouraging and fun too. I bought the books new. Titan Books has taken to reprint some of his books! They look exactly like they looked when they came out in the 40's.

http://titanbooks.com/search/?search...omis&x=42&y=12

His books have helped a lot. I felt like that very day when they came in after I ordered them and I started running through them that I could understand principles better. I think that's what helped with this portrait.

And Thanks Tyree! I'm glad you like it.