WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Doncaster

Hails from United Kingdom
Making prints from pastel paintings!

Hello, my name is Coral. Iíve just joined today!
I am in desperate need of information about making prints from pastel paintings.
How would I go about doing this? I havenít used fixing spray as Iíve heard a lot of horror stories from doing so! Because of this, placing the painting onto glass to do a straight copy isnít going to work.
Any information is very much appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States
Re: Making prints from pastel paintings!

welcome, and I love your name!

I work in pastel as well. I believe to do a good print, you will need a super-high quality photograph of the work to start. some may be able to do this on their own, I know I would not. getting it professionallly done would insure you a better outcome. I couldn't begin to afford such a camera, much less the other equipment, plus, the experience. I would look for someone who knows how to do artwork, not just photos of the kiddo's.

and just cuz you didn't fix doesn't mean that work is fragile as butterfly wings. I've had paintings (plein air) literally blow across the prairie, one I didn't care too much for and left in the back of my van for months (setting groceries, bags, etc. on top of it), and both still were fine and sold later! so give pastels a little credit, eh? if the work is small, a scan would be great. otherwise you have to overlap the scan and stitch it together in a program.

getting prints done is an art in itself. wuold love to see what you're printing!!

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Doncaster

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you Chewie! I've just managed to find your reply!
Ahh, I've been deciding whether or not it's worth me investing in a flashy camera. I think I will do if I can't find anyone round here who can do it for me.

I cannot believe the painting sold after all that! How impressive! I will be definitely giving them more credit after I've heard that story!

I will have a whirl with my scanner tonight to see how it all comes out and put some on to show you. If not, there's always that flashy camera.... Haha
Your work is absolutely beautiful by the way!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Fishers, IN

Hails from United States

I don't have an experience in pastels and scanning them, but I've had some of my work scanned and printed by a professional print house. They have a huge high quality scanner and they print giclee prints. It's fairly expensive to have them scanned but produces a much better print that is archival. The scanner that is used scans from the top so the art work wouldn't be sat on anything like copy glass.

here's a link to the company that I use.
heartland printworks