WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States
Alternative to Hansa Yellow

Golden, in it's Modern Theory Color Mixing Palette*, specifies Hansa Yellow Medium and Hansa Yellow Light for the yellows in this split primary palette. Surfing Blick's site, I only found Hansa Yellows available in the Gamblin Brand (PR74). (daVinci has a HY Light, PR3.)

If I want to purchase another brand of paint, what PR or product name would I look for?

Thanks.

PS: Just saw and red post about HY & HYL lightfastness. Saw where LeFr&B has/had PR74 & PR3 in a couple of different names. I'll have to go to each manufacturer in whose paints I'm interested and try to obtain a pigment chart or information.

*Hansa Yellow Medium, Hansa Yellow Light, Naphthol Red Light, Quinacridone Magenta, Anthraquinone Blue, Phthalo Blue GS, Phathalo Green BS, and Titanium White.

Last edited by rghirardi : 04-23-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: additional information
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Re: Alternative to Hansa Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghirardi
Golden, in it's Modern Theory Color Mixing Palette*, specifies Hansa Yellow Medium and Hansa Yellow Light for the yellows in this split primary palette. Surfing Blick's site, I only found Hansa Yellows available in the Gamblin Brand (PR74). (daVinci has a HY Light, PR3.)

If I want to purchase another brand of paint, what PR or product name would I look for?

Thanks.

You could substitute the hansa colors with cadmiums (cadmium yellow primrose, and cadmium yellow medium). Check this: http://www.goldenpaints.com/products.../heavybody.php
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termini.
You could substitute the hansa colors with cadmiums (cadmium yellow primrose, and cadmium yellow medium). Check this: http://www.goldenpaints.com/products.../heavybody.php

Thanks for the info. I'm intererested in oils rather than acrylics and I'm trying to 'match' the colors and pigments in The Golden Modern Theory Color Mixing theory. In the theory, the Hansa Yellows are transparent, as are the other paints in the theory. I've understood Cadmium Yellow as opaque. I'm looking for a similar transparent yellow close to Hansa Yellows in a brand other than Gamblin.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghirardi
Thanks for the info. I'm intererested in oils rather than acrylics and I'm trying to 'match' the colors and pigments in The Golden Modern Theory Color Mixing theory. In the theory, the Hansa Yellows are transparent, as are the other paints in the theory. I've understood Cadmium Yellow as opaque. I'm looking for a similar transparent yellow close to Hansa Yellows in a brand other than Gamblin.

It is semi-opaque, not transparent. At least the hansa yellows that i have. You may want to consider Rembrandt Permanent Lemon Yellow http://www.dickblick.com/items/00417...#colorpigments, and Permanent Yellow Medium http://www.dickblick.com/items/00417...#colorpigments.

Winsor and Newton has a hansa yellow, but they call it Winsor Lemon http://www.dickblick.com/items/00461...#colorpigments. Also, Winsor Yellow http://www.dickblick.com/items/00461...#colorpigments.

You have a lot of options, but you will need to look for the pigment numbers, rather than the name Hansa yellow. The Blick site is good, because they offer the pigment information, for each color.

JT

Last edited by Termini. : 04-23-2012 at 04:41 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
central NY

Hails from United States

Golden makes oils now through Williamsburg Oils ( www.williamsburgoils.com ). Their Permanent Yellow Light uses PY3 - Arylide Yellow 10G. I think this is the same pigment used for Golden's Acrylic Hansa Yellow Light. I've never bought oils, nor any paints at all in a few years, so I've no idea how dear the Williamsburg pricing is.

Hope this helps!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Canada

Hails from Canada

I know that in acrylics, PY3 and PY74 are among the most common yellow pigments. So I would guess that they are common in oils too - but might be titled by names other than 'Hansa' so you have to scan through the pigment numbers. Since transparency is important to you (it is to me too) you have to compare...comparing real paint samples is much better in this regard than just accepting what's on the label (Golden acrylics is the only paint I know of that is very stringent about distinguishing and labeling transparency...8 levels).
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

PY3 is an oldest, cheapest and standard synthetic lemon yellow pigment. I found here 180 ml PY3 oil paint tube by Chinese Phoenix Arts Group priced less than 3$. It was highly pigmented! I guess, PY3 pigment is cheaper than oil, needed to prepare this paint as China become a big PY3 manufacturer

Anyway, PY3 paint must be widely available and not expensive, unless "hand-made" thing.